Manager/Coach Karl Robinson - Will he walk

it's not about up or bust though is it?

As a fan we all have the dream to see our side in the higher level, some of us have experienced this and then the downward spiral..Owners come and go usual promise much and deliver very little long term but the fans are the constant.
if an opportunity comes why take a risk rather than embrace it, people are panicking suggesting they don't want to see us hammered every week in the championship but this is no more a given as missing out and expecting/hoping it comes next season as neither is guaranteed but if you don't get there you'll never know...There was a real feelgood factor back at the club but many more seasons where we are or worse is not going to improve attracting new fans etc or have current fans believing that the suggested ambition is not just pie in the sky.
if the current guys are just waiting a retail complex even that with a shiny new stadium does not guarantee promotion on the pitch, you have no right to it but why if you're stating ambition and are shrewd businessmen would you dismiss it so lightly when the chance was there?
from where we were and with a feel good factor we've gone to chasing the pack with added pressure of not affording to drop points and let's not forget reaching the play offs is not a given you'll be promoted and like i said instead of embracing the opportunity with a few games remaining we all start from 0 as the next season begins.

I mostly disagree that, if we don't go up (and I hope we do go up), that this will be our one shot for some time. I still see reasons for optimism and that, with the right recruitment, we could still make another push next season. We will have players who have grown a year, have experienced what it is like to be in a promotion race and will be all the better for it.

Personally, I don't hold with the "don't get promoted because the Championship is too expensive/risky" argument. If you go up, you have to face up to the challenge.

interesting contrasting viewpoints, especially when factoring in whether or not the board's words , claiming promotion was the aim this season, and their actions- and lack of them- in the Jan transfer window, are the yardstick

Its evident (from KR's comments, certainly following the Blackpool approach), that KR requires assurances from the board re ambition etc, werent talks on that subject due to take place yesterday?

I agree, to a degree, with @horseman that OUFC were in a great position to mount a serious challenge for promotion going into the Jan transfer window, and the timing of cashing in on two fit first team regulars was absymal, and the lack of genuine additions to the squad wasnt at all good either. Im not 100% in agreement (atm) that if we miss out this season thats it for a while. as that will depend on the outcome of KRs talks with the board regarding ambition, & whether he's still at OUFC next season. And home much the board are prepared to spend rebuilding for next season, following inevitable sales of some of our players and many if not all loanees at OUFC return to their parent clubs. Having to rebuild the squad at the start of every season isnt the best scenario, enhancing and adding to a decent squad would be a better option. It remains as yet to be seen whether the board are going to stick or twist.

Loanees are (sadly IMO) a part of lower league football these days, until the FA grow a pair and limit squad sizes for the elite PL clubs, and limit the amount of loanees any club can use, itll be the same situation regarding loanees as it has been for some time now.

OUFC are currently sat one place outside the playoff places, with ten games to go. Destiny is in 'our' hands, the forthcoming weeks are potentially going to be very exciting

interesting contrasting viewpoints, especially when factoring in whether or not the board's words , claiming promotion was the aim this season, and their actions- and lack of them- in the Jan transfer window, are the yardstick

Its evident (from KR's comments, certainly following the Blackpool approach), that KR requires assurances from the board re ambition etc, werent talks on that subject due to take place yesterday?

I agree, to a degree, with @horseman that OUFC were in a great position to mount a serious challenge for promotion going into the Jan transfer window, and the timing of cashing in on two fit first team regulars was absymal, and the lack of genuine additions to the squad wasnt at all good either. Im not 100% in agreement (atm) that if we miss out this season thats it for a while. as that will depend on the outcome of KRs talks with the board regarding ambition, & whether he's still at OUFC next season. And home much the board are prepared to spend rebuilding for next season, following inevitable sales of some of our players and many if not all loanees at OUFC return to their parent clubs. Having to rebuild the squad at the start of every season isnt the best scenario, enhancing and adding to a decent squad would be a better option. It remains as yet to be seen whether the board are going to stick or twist.

Loanees are (sadly IMO) a part of lower league football these days, until the FA grow a pair and limit squad sizes for the elite PL clubs, and limit the amount of loanees any club can use, itll be the same situation regarding loanees as it has been for some time now.

OUFC are currently sat one place outside the playoff places, with ten games to go. Destiny is in 'our' hands, the forthcoming weeks are potentially going to be very exciting

As of last evening that is no longer the case though @Sarge

The point i was making was that in real terms nothing will be any different or will have changed significantly in the summer to Jan so why then, starting from scratch rather than in Jan when already in such a prominent position?

Fair enough & fair comment @horseman :sneaky:

( glitch on this thread atm which wont allow me to either 'react' (like) your post, or to direct reply!)

If KR is frustrated with our board, not sure he'd enjoy the Marcus Evans experience in Ipswich.

Agree with this Sarge, I have said nearly all the same things myself.

As we get closer to promotion in last ten games, I think the board will experience some squeaky bum time, as I don't think they were expecting us to do so well and were not prepared for us getting promotion.
Even if as they said 'we are aiming for promotion'.

Last edited:
Agree with this Sarge, I have said nearly all the same things myself.

As we get closer to promotion in last ten games, I think the board will experience some squeaky bum time, as I don't think they were expecting us to do so well and were not prepared for us getting promotion.
Even if as they said 'we are aiming for promotion'.
How can you prepare for Promotion?
The wages are vastly different in the 2 leagues and most players wint commit until they know which Division you are in.
Browne and Taylor for example may well signup if we are Promoted.
I would be pretty sure that Sheffield United were hardly 'prepared' for promotion to the PL.
Tou could argue that our ground will hold us back if we get Promotion but not sure what can be done in this

I just thought that if they were aiming for promotion or not, then they would have made some considered plan(s). I am not sure that they have, but I hope I am proved wrong. Being successful business men I would imagine that they would have a good idea about the costs of being competitive in the Championship - hence the vision of promotion, they will most certainly have a better grasp on the finances required in league 1.

The wages are vastly different in the 2 leagues and most players wint commit until they know which Division you are in.
I would be pretty sure that Sheffield United were hardly 'prepared' for promotion to the PL.
Tou could argue that our ground will hold us back if we get Promotion but not sure what can be done in this
What...Sheffield Utd?....one of the biggest clubs in the country?.....not prepared for the Premiership?....that Sheffield?

I think OUFC and our relative (lack of) preparedness for the Championship (still one of the richest leagues in the world) is on a different level. I think the team and Robinson will have markedly outperformed expectations. If we did get up and Tiger and the board will be having some serious discussions about how they might fund it, given their Reading experience (who, might I add have had a bit of an advantage over us in terms of income generation for quite some time now).

Unless they are prepared to fund a significant increase in losses, where (tv money aside)will the extra come from without leaving the club where we were when we last played in Headington? (But without the assets to mortgage to the hilt to fund it).

Not saying they can't and won't do it and extra investment may be just around the corner dependent on where (as in which division)we play our football next year...who knows?

Last edited:
and most players wint commit until they know which Division you are in.

Burton Albion managed for three seasons and there ground only holds just over 6,000

Last edited:
View attachment 3045The ground, I seem to remember Mr Kassam saying we didn't need a fourth stand until we reach the Championship, he still owns the ground. Get your money ready Mr Kassam, I know you will honour your word.

Thank You in advance.

Wasn’t he the owner of the club at the time he made these comments? If so, I guess that would have a slight or should I say massive impact on this now!

In fact, I’d go as far to say that it would have made an impact even if he was still the owner (god forbid) as we all (well most of us) know he was only in it for himself and didn’t give a s**t about the club and still doesn’t.

Wasn’t he the owner of the club at the time he made these comments? If so, I guess that would have a slight or should I say massive impact on this now!

In fact, I’d go as far to say that it would have made an impact even if he was still the owner (god forbid) as we all (well most of us) know he was only in it for himself and didn’t give a s**t about the club and still doesn’t.

He did say that he would not sell to an individual as well, so will he sell to a group of owners.

flying-pig-7218647.jpg

Last edited:
What...Sheffield Utd?....one of the biggest clubs in the country?.....not prepared for the Premiership?....that
Ok it depends on what you mean by 'prepared'
Sheff U were I believe 15th favourite to go up. They had just come up from L1.
So there is no way that they expected to go up. They had many players who had been L1, L2, Championship players.
So from a team perspective even CW talked down whether they were prepared for the PL

What...Sheffield Utd?....one of the biggest clubs in the country?.....not prepared for the Premiership?....that Sheffield?

I think OUFC and our relative (lack of) preparedness for the Championship (still one of the richest leagues in the world) is on a different level. I think the team and Robinson will have markedly outperformed expectations. If we did get up and Tiger and the board will be having some serious discussions about how they might fund it, given their Reading experience (who, might I add have had a bit of an advantage over us in terms of income generation for quite some time now).

Unless they are prepared to fund a significant increase in losses, where (tv money aside)will the extra come from without leaving the club where we were when we last played in Headington? (But without the assets to mortgage to the hilt to fund it).

Not saying they can't and won't do it and extra investment may be just around the corner dependent on where (as in which division)we play our football next year...who knows?
I get re the finances.
But Burton and Rotherham survived as have Huddersfield.
The trouble with the Championship is the parachute payments and the massive losses clubs are able to have.
To stay up a club needs to be very well coached/ managed, pick up a few gems (Woodburn,Browne, Taylor kind of players) and have a bit of luck.
I am not sure that Milwall, Charlton spend huge amounts?

I get re the finances.
But Burton and Rotherham survived as have Huddersfield.
The trouble with the Championship is the parachute payments and the massive losses clubs are able to have.
To stay up a club needs to be very well coached/ managed, pick up a few gems (Woodburn,Browne, Taylor kind of players) and have a bit of luck.
I am not sure that Milwall, Charlton spend huge amounts?

Millwall lost £5 million (Pre-tax) in 2017-18. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50674331

Saw this yesterday (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51738406) - Villa posted losses of almost £70m to get back up to the Prem! That would be what, 25 years of operating costs for us? And it says their wage bill was nearly £95m, which just goes to show what we could be up against at the top end of the division should we get promoted this season.

Saw this yesterday (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51738406) - Villa posted losses of almost £70m to get back up to the Prem! That would be what, 25 years of operating costs for us? And it says their wage bill was nearly £95m, which just goes to show what we could be up against at the top end of the division should we get promoted this season.

Be interesting to see how much Derby spend and failed to get promoted

Back
Top Bottom