Manager/Coach Karl Robinson - Will he walk

Everything we’ve done this year has surpassed what anybody thought we would manage to achieve.

“For us to be where we are with what we spend and what we do is quite remarkable.”
These quotes from the OM today show KR is not happy with Tigers ambition or the clubs spending. This is not the first time he has said such things openly.

Everything we’ve done this year has surpassed what anybody thought we would manage to achieve.

“For us to be where we are with what we spend and what we do is quite remarkable.”
These quotes from the OM today show KR is not happy with Tigers ambition or the clubs spending. This is not the first time he has said such things openly.
Bit of a reach. I think he's comparing us to Sunderland, Peterborough and the like. He knows that he doesnt have a top 3 budget so competing with Man City, West Ham and Newcastle like we did is testament to how WELL we have spent...

Oxford is just down the road from his family that are settled in MK and didn't have to uproot. and tiger sold the club to him.
Not a backward step as tiger had big plans and still has.

my reference was in relation to Blackpool who people dismiss lightly or see it as a sideways or backward step and my point was when Karl left Charlton was that a sideways or backward step

My take on this is that KR left Charlton because of broken promises made by the board. From his comments before the transfer window when he asked for the Boards backing and then to see what happened I think we can assume he is not happy with the Board.
KR is a man of principals and if he doesn’t get commitment I think he will go, he can use Blackpool just to make sure people know he is available.
Luton look like like they will certainly be coming down and I can see them taking someone like KR

It will be fascinating to see how it all transpires. KR comments this morning are thinly veiled, and it certainly seems more than a coincidence that hes being linked with other jobs at this time (remember when this happened with Wilder).

Which is odd because if we were bidding half a million for Cadden and nearly completing for Grigg, why would he be unhappy? Unless theres porkies somewhere of course.....

My take on this is that KR left Charlton because of broken promises made by the board. From his comments before the transfer window when he asked for the Boards backing and then to see what happened I think we can assume he is not happy with the Board.
KR is a man of principals and if he doesn’t get commitment I think he will go, he can use Blackpool just to make sure people know he is available.
Luton look like like they will certainly be coming down and I can see them taking someone like KR
Whilst I agree with what you are saying, I think the move from Charlton was slightly more complicated. The owners weren't committed themselves and I think things were very unsettled at the time, with regards to ownership and direction etc.

Whilst I agree with what you are saying, I think the move from Charlton was slightly more complicated. The owners weren't committed themselves and I think things were very unsettled at the time, with regards to ownership and direction etc.
Yes Dolly you are right things were more complicated,it would be good to know whether in the average football club a managers job is like any other in life.
You are promised that the company will move forward and they are looking to get to the top of the tree, but then reality sets in and you are doing more than you were employed for at the same money.Then if productivity/sales don’t improve you could be out of a job anyway

Yes Dolly you are right things were more complicated,it would be good to know whether in the average football club a managers job is like any other in life.
You are promised that the company will move forward and they are looking to get to the top of the tree, but then reality sets in and you are doing more than you were employed for at the same money.Then if productivity/sales don’t improve you could be out of a job anyway
I certainly feel that KR does fall into the category of doing more for than he is being paid for (although it's only different in that football manager jobs are 24/7 whilst jobs in other industries are perhaps not). It's clear that he genuinely cares about what he is doing. I have always thought that other managers would have walked for much less than he has had to put up with over the last 18 months. I hope he stays with his and given his character, I expect him to as well.

Bit of a reach. I think he's comparing us to Sunderland, Peterborough and the like. He knows that he doesnt have a top 3 budget so competing with Man City, West Ham and Newcastle like we did is testament to how WELL we have spent...

Ultimately, people will read what ever they want into every statement that comes out from the club. At the beginning of the season very few had us down as being promotion candidates with midtable being seen as probably the best we could expect. So when you add in our cup successes and our extensive injuries, its not a huge leap to say that "Everything we’ve done this year has surpassed what anybody thought we would manage to achieve."

As you have mentioned, there are clubs who have spent far more than us this season, and if it's true that Southend have the 8th biggest budget at £3m then you would think that we could be a little off that, so maybe top 10. So to then say that “For us to be where we are with what we spend and what we do is quite remarkable.” isn't unfair - especially when you consider that we have also sold players that could see us breakeven or even make a profit in operational terms for the first time in years.

So, like you, I do not see this as a dig at the board, but rather a reasonable comment on our performance to date, whilst cooling expectations a little.

It wasn’t that long ago that the board stuck by him when there were many calls for him to be sacked.
His stock has risen spectacularly since those dark days. He secretly enjoys being the subject of speculation, why wouldn’t he? His rise has been well documented.
The only surprise for me is that it is a mediocre club like Blackpool who are sniffing.
He could do better.
Leaving on the up swing is the usual way to do it and we are certainly on that.

If a managers name is linked to another job in the press or on a betting site it’s very unusual for the manager to totally close down the rumour if questioned about it.

They often try to use it to their advantage, whether it’s to try and gain a bit of leverage with the board for more backing, or if they are genuinely unhappy then to let other clubs know he’s open to offers.

With Robinson and OUFC it’s a tricky one to analyse. My gut feeling is that he’s fairly settled at Oxford, appreciates the working conditions at the training ground, enjoys the more ‘hands on’ role he’s given across the whole club, however I suspect that although he understands the financial reasons why Baptiste & Fosu were sold he perhaps feels let down by the timing and failure to sign a right back and striker. If that’s a fair analysis then his comments on RadOx are understandable.

In my opinion KR has, metophorically of course, donned a saucy black number which shows plenty of ankle, slapped on the ol' war paint and is currently sat at the bar with a large Babycham.

If he goes home alone, fine. He's not that type of gal, after all. But he's more than happy to entertain interest from any respectable would-be suitors...

In my opinion KR has, metophorically of course, donned a saucy black number which shows plenty of ankle, slapped on the ol' war paint and is currently sat at the bar with a large Babycham.

If he goes home alone, fine. He's not that type of gal, after all. But he's more than happy to entertain interest from any respectable would-be suitors...
That all sounds like the sort of thing Ian Holloway would say!

"Right now we’re in a really good place and these players have given me everything. I’m so proud. The fans who have seen me here celebrating, that’s a man who loves what he’s doing.” - not the words I would usually associate to an unhappy man.

"Everything we’ve done this year has surpassed what anybody thought we would manage to achieve. For us to be where we are with what we spend and what we do is quite remarkable.” - bigging up the club's achievements is not really what I would expect from someone looking to send a message of discontent.

You'll be getting Ryanbirdio all of a quiver.

Ultimately, people will read what ever they want into every statement that comes out from the club.

They'll struggle if they use the Oxford Mail website. I turned my adblocker off and there are like 5 things trying to play. Utterly cunty experience.

With the performances against West Ham & Newcastle, he's in the limelight I suppose. But he really needs an achievement in my humble before he starts wearing a thong and fake tan.

Last edited:
The reason for the hiatus was that a new dog arrived, adopted from Romania* by my daughter. Can't understand a word I say.

That should P**s a few people off :)

Back
Top Bottom