General Kabongo Tshimanga

It's always a gamble when a player moves up the divisions, and we've tried many times in recent years to find our rags-to-riches gem (Jonte Smith, John Campbell, Derick Osei-Yaw, Oussama Zamouri) and it's had limited success. So it's no cast-iron guarantee things will work out. And for every Jamie Vardy, there are hundreds that just never make it.

Granted Tshimanga's stats make for great reading, but if Karl has worked with him before, has seen him training up close and still doesn't take the punt despite loving attackers. It hints there's something not worth pursuing.

And whilst he's scored a hatful of goals at non-league, wouldn't have Agyei and Winnall if playing at that level? And lots on here don't think those two are good enough.
This is it, you learn a lot more from watching a player everyday in training, clearly his game has come on a lot since then but KR is a lot better placed then most to make the call.

Who? Another my memory hasn't bothered filing into long-term storage. And considering I still remember Tony Spearing for playing about 5 games for us on loan in the early 80s it proves it wasn't always like this. Getting older plays havok with the brain 😔
yep

Who? Another my memory hasn't bothered filing into long-term storage. And considering I still remember Tony Spearing for playing about 5 games for us on loan in the early 80s it wasn't always like this. Getting older plays havok with the brain 😔

He was a left winger (iirc) signed on a free from FC Dordrecht who were in the Dutch 2nd tier. His only appearance was when he started at Crawley in a 4-1 win in the Pizza Trophy (can't remember who the sponsor was and don't care):

He was a left winger (iirc) signed on a free from FC Dordrecht who were in the Dutch 2nd tier. His only appearance was when he started at Crawley in a 4-1 win in the Pizza Trophy (can't remember who the sponsor was and don't care):

Ah, in that case I'll forgive myself for not knowing who he is.

Perhaps you can also help me with this 'James Henry' fellow I've also seen mentioned... 😁

After watching Osei-yaw in pre season last year and he didn’t make it, I guess you would have to ask how many he would score if playing for Chesterfield.

The club have looked at him for at least the last 2 seasons and KR worked with him at MK Dons. They're more than aware of him particularly after his time at Oxford City. The step up from non-league to League One is huge when you see the quality in our league nowadays especially in January where players struggle to hit the ground running.

His price will be inflated at the moment and while I haven't seen many highlights since he left Ox City I can't believe he's improved THAT drastically in the last couple of years to merit spending over the odds for a risk. Think its time to move on with this one and raid the Irish/Northern Irish (or even Scottish) leagues as we have done with Cooper, Sykes, Whyte and McNally.

Shame Blackpool got Shayne Lavery really.

As you say, real shame we didn’t Persue Shayne lavery
Kofi Balmer, Trai Hume are 2 north of the border we should seriously be watching.
A year or two to late for Stephen Fallon, Jamie Mcgonigle Caolan Marron Rhys Marshall and Michael O’Connor or we would maybe be in the same position as Joel Cooper
Linfields Cammy Palmer, Cormac Austin and John McGovern at Newry are worth keeping a eye on.
Lee Bonis is not in Laverys league but is doing pretty well at portadown.
Down south
Sligo have Jonny Kenny good young forward, and the likes off John Mahon, Lewis Banks and Niall Morahan.
Bohemians have Dawson Devoy, Andy Lyons, Tyreke Wilson and Ross Tierney but hes off to somewhere like Motherwell in January.
Eion Toal at Derry younger version of Elliott Moore.
Danny Mandroiu at Shamrock who scored for Brighton against us a couple of years back.
Also Neil Farrugia is coming back from a long term hamstring problem,
Looks like Jack Byrne is going back after signing for McCarthy in Cyprus.
But Brian Maher at Bray maybe one to keep a eye on

Last edited:
I know absolutely nothing about the guy, because I don't watch City or Non-League any more.....

......but I'll just note that he's 24 years old, has never really been given a chance in the Football League but is scoring goals for fun in the conference.
In 2014-15, there was another 24 year old scoring goals in the conference for fun, who'd never really had a chance in the Football League - and that was Matty Taylor.
And in 2011-12, there was yet another 24 year old who fit exactly the same description......turns out Jamie Vardy could hack it at a much higher level!

If he keeps up even close to a rate of a goal a game, someone is going to give him a shot in the league. So I'm sure we'll eventually get to find out if he's a late bloomer or a League One donkey......

If he keeps up even close to a rate of a goal a game, someone is going to give him a shot in the league. So I'm sure we'll eventually get to find out if he's a late bloomer or a League One donkey......

Well Chesterfield will at this rate, if no other club does.

As you say, real shame we didn’t Persue Shayne lavery
Kofi Balmer, Trai Hume are 2 north of the border we should seriously be watching.
A year or two to late for Stephen Fallon, Jamie Mcgonigle Caolan Marron Rhys Marshall and Michael O’Connor or we would maybe be in the same position as Joel Cooper
Linfields Cammy Palmer, Cormac Austin and John McGovern at Newry are worth keeping a eye on.
Lee Bonis is not in Laverys league but is doing pretty well at portadown.
Down south
Sligo have Jonny Kenny good young forward, and the likes off John Mahon, Lewis Banks and Niall Morahan.
Bohemians have Dawson Devoy, Andy Lyons, Tyreke Wilson and Ross Tierney but hes off to somewhere like Motherwell in January.
Eion Toal at Derry younger version of Elliott Moore.
Danny Mandroiu at Shamrock who scored for Brighton against us a couple of years back.
Also Neil Farrugia is coming back from a long term hamstring problem,
Looks like Jack Byrne is going back after signing for McCarthy in Cyprus.
But Brian Maher at Bray maybe one to keep a eye on

Forgot to mention Paul O’Neill who’s struggled to get games at cliftonville this season, but had a decent game for Northern Ireland u21s mid week

17 goals in 17 starts in the National League is extremely good. The guy does score goals. I'd love to see him have his chance here.

Sounds like the shop has sailed though.

17 goals in 17 starts in the National League is extremely good. The guy does score goals. I'd love to see him have his chance here.

Sounds like the shop has sailed though.
I notice you're footnote says 'give Agyei a chance'- neither of these players will be here next season - one is a good conference (possibly L2) striker, the other is sadly an enigma that I've now lost faith in

I notice you're footnote says 'give Agyei a chance'- neither of these players will be here next season - one is a good conference (possibly L2) striker, the other is sadly an enigma that I've now lost faith in
If this is the case, which is probably is, and with winnall looking like yesterday's man, then we do need a striker in January.

I like Whyte but hes not a centre forward (imo)

Back
Top Bottom