Italian Football Juventus

Left Wing Cross

Sarri out! Pirlo in?

No managerial experience yet takes over one of the biggest teams in Europe

He was only appointed the under 23 manager 9 days ago very strange appointment

I was actually thinking the other day he will be Juventus manager in the future but didn't expect it to happen that quickly!

Perhaps this is the beginning of the end of the era of the "Superstar Manager". Clubs are starting to take on ex-players as managers.

Chelsea have Lampard, Xavi has been linked with Barcelona, Solksjaer at Man U, Arteta at Arsenal.

Perhaps this is the beginning of the end of the era of the "Superstar Manager". Clubs are starting to take on ex-players as managers.

Chelsea have Lampard, Xavi has been linked with Barcelona, Solksjaer at Man U, Arteta at Arsenal.

Or it is just the next wave have yet to emerge and will from these young managers.

Or it is just the next wave have yet to emerge and will from these young managers.
They are players who weren’t crippled early in their career. Isn’t that the main difference from managers of old.

They are players who weren’t crippled early in their career. Isn’t that the main difference from managers of old.

Possibly. Wasn't Mourinho just not a particular good player so went into coaching very young or am I thinking of somebody else?

Possibly. Wasn't Mourinho just not a particular good player so went into coaching very young or am I thinking of somebody else?

Dunno. Wenger was a bit 'average' as a player I hear.

And before any of those, Pep Guardiola was a former player/manager who had never managed anyone other than one season for Barcelona's B team.
And almost exactly the same is true of Zinedine Zidane and Real Madrid.

Maybe the trend is emerging because it seems to be working?

And before any of those, Pep Guardiola was a former player/manager who had never managed anyone other than one season for Barcelona's B team.
And almost exactly the same is true of Zinedine Zidane and Real Madrid.

Maybe the trend is emerging because it seems to be working?

More than anything else, I suppose it's because the newer guys are able to develop tactical styles in line with the modern game. Mourinho seems to be lagging behind most because he still feels what he introduced in 2005 is the height of innovation.

I remember seeing somewhere that Sir Alex relied on people like Quieroz and Meulensteen to help freshen his own ideas up when Man United had periods of losing the PL crown.

You still have the likes of Bielsa that can be experienced and yet tactically fresh, but for the most part the new guard are in line with the way the game has developed over the past 10 years.

Arteta knows how Arsenal want to play as a club what the club values are.
Lampard knows Chelsea inside out, knows what it takes to win titles and also knows what the fans want to see.
Pirlo knows the Juventus and understands the club values and how they like to be ran.
Zindane knows what is required at Real Madrid and understands how demanding the fans are.

That is why these guys get the jobs and to be fair to Lampard, Zindane and to an extent with Arteta ithas worked so far.

Even Ole at Man U has done well and is now going back to bringing in younger players but he has had to try and get a lot of older ‘superstars’ out first.

I expect Gerrard will eventually take over from Klopp at Liverpool

Villas Boas barely played either. Maybe you're thinking of him?

Our Karl never played outside of non league football (well apart from Caenarfon and Rhyl but that's non league standard?)

Villas Boas barely played either. Maybe you're thinking of him?

Our Karl never played outside of non league football (well apart from Caenarfon and Rhyl but that's non league standard?)
Big Ron Atkinson came to Oxford ( Headington Utd) from Villa , don't think he ever played for Villas first team, most of his playing career was for OUFC .... turned out to be a not too shabby manager either .... (arguably the best Manager we never had)

Big Ron Atkinson came to Oxford ( Headington Utd) from Villa , don't think he ever played for Villas first team, most of his playing career was for OUFC .... turned out to be a not too shabby manager either .... (arguably the best Manager we never had)
Don’t give up hope sarge, he’s still about.

I would suggest pep and Jurgen are a cut above big Ron in terms of managers we've never had. Bill Shankly wasn't bad either.

I would suggest pep and Jurgen are a cut above big Ron in terms of managers we've never had. Bill Shankly wasn't bad either.
Point being ... Big Ron aka Tank captained the mighty U's from non league to the old 2nd division, ( now the Championship) in 6 or 7 seasons , he also made the record number of appearances for HUFC/OUFC ...he went into management after leaving the U's in 71 , he managed Kettering, Cambridge , then WBA (twice) , Man U , Athletico Madrid, Sheffield Wed (twice), Villa, Cov City, & Forest .... During his tenure as Captain , under Arthur Turner as manager, its said that Big Ron gave pre match and half time team talks .... so, IMO arguably, the best manager OUFC never had ( but conceivably , and genuinely, could have been manager of OUFC .... and partially filled that role when the U's raced up the football league in the 60s/ early 70s) :sneaky:

Back
Top Bottom