National News Just out of interest.....

Essexyellows

Anybody actually got it or knows someone that has?

For clarity............. Covid 19 that is...... :)

Asking for a friend.... :)

Last edited:
The thing is, the infection rate is relatively low at this present moment (official figures are 1,400), so it's probably unlikely that today, we'll know anyone who has caught it. Especially with the Govt advice of 7 days isolation and not going for a test.

Ironically, social media is presenting the opposite picture

Anybody actually got it or knows someone that has?

For clarity............. Covid 19 that is...... :)

Asking for a friend.... :)
Possibly?
Friend of ours felt rough last weekend and had couple of days off work but felt better by weds and went in for rest of week, then woke up Saturday with major headache and sore throat and is still in bed today. Saw the doctor on Saturday, who said most likely throat infection but couldn't rule out CV.
They then thought back and their teenage son had a similar string of symptoms a week earlier.
So, it could be that both have had it or neither have?

Thing is, neither are ever going to be tested so will probably never know!
I would imagine there are plenty others like this, so the daily case count released is clearly going to be much lower than reality.

The thing is, the infection rate is relatively low at this present moment (official figures are 1,400), so it's probably unlikely that today, we'll know anyone who has caught it. Especially with the Govt advice of 7 days isolation and not going for a test.

Ironically, social media is presenting the opposite picture

That’s people who’ve been tested. If we didn’t test anyone we could say that no-one ‘officially’ had it! Whereas if literally everyone in the country was tested it would no doubt be a bit higher...

Possibly?
Friend of ours felt rough last weekend and had couple of days off work but felt better by weds and went in for rest of week, then woke up Saturday with major headache and sore throat and is still in bed today. Saw the doctor on Saturday, who said most likely throat infection but couldn't rule out CV.
They then thought back and their teenage son had a similar string of symptoms a week earlier.
So, it could be that both have had it or neither have?

Thing is, neither are ever going to be tested so will probably never know!
I would imagine there are plenty others like this, so the daily case count released is clearly going to be much lower than reality.
Got the same here. I have sore throat, constant coughing, aches. Had them since Thursday so worked from home Friday and today. Been told that my company want me to either come in tomorrow or be sick, no working from home. My wife's company told her because of my cough she has to be quarantined for 14 days. She is fine (mighty fine actually ?), I'm not right, she has to stay home, I'm being told to go onto work... Madness, nobody knows what is going on...

Got the same here. I have sore throat, constant coughing, aches. Had them since Thursday so worked from home Friday and today. Been told that my company want me to either come in tomorrow or be sick, no working from home. My wife's company told her because of my cough she has to be quarantined for 14 days. She is fine (mighty fine actually ?), I'm not right, she has to stay home, I'm being told to go onto work... Madness, nobody knows what is going on...
That's an odd response from your Company?

I think it’s alright Boris saying work from home don’t go to social areas but what about people like myself who can’t work from home what are we supposed to do other than go out to work and possibly get infected

Not impressed, but it was before Boris gave his speech today. They have a meeting tomorrow where I expect it will change.

Your company shouldn’t need Boris’ recent comments to decide whether you should go in, especially with all the. Communications over the last few weeks.

You should be self isolating for 7-14 days to protect your work colleagues from contracting the virus.

Very short sighted by your company.

Having read symptoms of others that have had the virus it seems to come and go e.g. you think you’re getting better to then find out the next day you feel worse than before. Not the same for everyone I guess, but your symptoms seem to match with those, but that’s not to say you’ve got it though.

Hope you’re feeling better soon.

Last edited:
This weird policy of not testing anyone who's not in hospital / prison seems like madness. We'll end up with a load of people who have had it but think and act like they haven't, and people who haven't but are under the impresssion they already have.

So I guess to answer the original question... maybe?!

I had something that *sounds* like this infection at the start of December (i.e. before it was a 'thing'), persistent cough etc. Only really threw it off three weeks ago. Now of course it probably wan't this at all - I hadn't been to China nor AFAIK had been around anyone that had. So there are two things there. Was it actually around before this crisis and I did have it, or did I have something similar? And if there is something so similar around, have some people got that, rather than Covid-19?

I had something that *sounds* like this infection at the start of December (i.e. before it was a 'thing'), persistent cough etc. Only really threw it off three weeks ago. Now of course it probably wan't this at all - I hadn't been to China nor AFAIK had been around anyone that had. So there are two things there. Was it actually around before this crisis and I did have it, or did I have something similar? And if there is something so similar around, have some people got that, rather than Covid-19?

I also had very similar symptoms that lasted around 5 weeks from early February to half way through last week. I would agree that many of those self isolating have seasonal cold and flu like symptoms, which can be horrendous but very different to covid-19.

Unfortunately though, with the NHS massively stretched, it's almost impossible to tell the difference. As Ryan mentioned, there will be those who have been ill and assume that they've had the virus and think they're immune and potentially catch it later this season or next winter.

Or, you may be patient zero (ironically) and it's all your fault!!!

The thing is that 1100 people a week in the uk die from flu/pneumonia diseases every week on average with seasonal variations most of which have not been analysed for whatever virus caused them. Suddenly the whole subject has been dragged into the limelight resulting in panic stations, worldwide global economic meltdown stoked up by a bored media and professional miserablists. There are 170,000 cases in a population of 10,000,000,000,000 its not a lot!

This is so tricky. Anyone with kids probably has a permanent viral load. I certainly have probably spent more time over the last 16 years with mild viral symptoms than not. My lungs aren't tip-top, so low level respiratory symptoms are common, and a persistent slight post-nasal drip is common in many people. The more you think about it, the more you can identify low level symptoms that you would routinely fully ignore.

Back
Top Bottom