Just how stupid is Danny Baker?

Pete Burrett

Don't need to explain. By now we all know he's been sacked and why, and heard the subsequent comments he's made.

I think it's a great shame that a guy who, in my opinion, is very funny and talented can also be so stupid. Seems he has a broadcasting death wish, and not for the first time.

Despite his actions and comments, he will still undoubtedly have a loyal following of fans, 500,000 Twitter followers for a start, and will probably get a show on commercial radio before long.

He's an odd mixture. I do find him funny (if a bit repetitive) but his appearance on I'm A Celebrity... a couple of years ago or so didn't really endear him to me at all. I thought he was an obnoxious bully who then played the 'banter' card all too readily to get himself out the mess his mouth had got him into. Seems like his fingers are connected to his mouth rather than his brain...

Clearly a bright and intelligent chap, but tweeting that is quite frankly idiotic to put it mildly.

Where’s the common sense?

Baker has always been a bit "meh" to me - sometimes funny and entertaining, other-times ranting and boring. Trouble is, there are plenty of people willing to be offended on behalf of others nowadays; to me this was nothing more than the captioning an old photograph in the style of so many "amusing" birthday cards nowadays.

Should he have done it - probably not; is the lesson here "don't tweet drunk"
Is sacking deserved -again, probably not but I'm sure he will surface again if he feels the need to get back behind a microphone.
Is Madonna walking through JFK in a burka any more stupid/racist/offensive - I'll let you decide.......

I don't like him nor do I find him funny. That said, his actions were clearly not intentionally racist so why was he sacked? Unless I'm missing something here and he has some previous? I'm too young to know his previous sins.

It's arguably more racist to just assume that a picture of a gorilla is a racial dig at a baby who is descended from a mixed race woman. The link is so tenuous, the baby is white British, there was no intent, so what's the problem?...

Madness.

I don't like him nor do I find him funny. That said, his actions were clearly not intentionally racist so why was he sacked? Unless I'm missing something here and he has some previous? I'm too young to know his previous sins.

It's arguably more racist to just assume that a picture of a gorilla is a racial dig at a baby who is descended from a mixed race woman. The link is so tenuous, the baby is white British, there was no intent, so what's the problem?...

Madness.
Yes I tend to agree.
Somebody said that all radio presenters are one stupid comment away from the sack at all times.
Ben Elton has a novel with regard to politicians and celebrities constantly apologising for things they have said/ allegedly said, whilst people take offence and whilst serious issues in the world aren't addressed.
Subtlety and context are hardly ever taken into account.

If for instance it was when William and Kate last had a baby would it have been funny?
Perhaps if it was Posh and Becks, or Wayne and Colleen Rooney.

Also as said elsewhere, Baker had to dig out that picture and caption it., presumably it's from an old film.

Madness.
I agree, I don't think it was intended to be racist. Unfortunately though, I also think the BBC had no choise but to sack him, simply because there are too many idiots about now that would defend a blantent racist slur by comparing it to Danny Baker's tweet had he been allowed to keep his job.
In some ways ironically it's probably the "PC gone mad brigade" that have cost him his job.
It will be interesting to see the spin The Sun and Daily Mail put on it tomorrow

Not sure about 'PC gone mad' brigade costing him his job - it was his own idiocy that did that. It was a stupid, crass and unthinking thing to post. Was it racist? He may not have meant it, but there are plenty who would/could have taken it that way (either to confirm their own prejudices or to get 'offended' by it). At least we won't have to listen to the unutterably dull 'Sausage Sandwich Game' any more...

The problem for me is that if we go down this road of any mention or reference to a monkey/ape/gorilla/primate must be looked at in a racial context it completely undermines the serious efforts of various parties to deal with more blatant and open acts, such as monkey chants at football matches.
On the one hand I see the point made by a previous poster about the BBC being forced to act as though it was an actual slur, but at the same time the willingness to call out Baker on this, or anyone else who makes an inadvertant reference, I think actually provides ammunition to the more ignorant end of the spectrum who just see it as a mainstream celebrity making the comment (rather than him being punished for it - that won't bother them).

The airwaves are full of people whose job it is to sail close to the line to provoke debate - be it Danny Baker, Piers Morgan, Jeremy Kyle, Jeremy vine, or that vile woman from the Apprentice whose name thankfully escapes me - which I personally find intensely annoying and a damning sign of the world today, not least because so many listeners fall for the trick day by day, and take these people seriously. They can all - as I believe the modern parlance suggests - "do one" as far as I am concerned. Let people/listeners on air who can build their own argument, not just spoon feed them rant-fodder.

The irony of course, is that more often than not, it is actually 'innocent' slips such as Baker this week/Morgan on Barkeley that seem to eventually catch them out and get them into trouble, rather than the more dangerous they say to rouse the rabble...

I dont think for a second that Baker meant any racial reference in his tweet, and I fear that if we carry on as we are, then it is only a matter of time before monkeys are removed from our zoos in order to remove any perceived references (most probably from white people) to slavery etc etc......

People like Baker, who have a quirky sense of humour, need to think once, twice, three, four and five times between before posting anything even vaguely controversial on social media in the climate we live in, especially when alcohol is involved. While his point about the royal family (as a group) being "performing chimps" is quite spot on, it's the sort of thing that in the world we live in, has to stay in his head if he wants to keep a job or have a hassle free life. Especially if any member of the Royal Family or associate, consort, etc of them is a minority. Assume someone will be offended, and work it back from there.

I suppose at 61, he doesn't care and never has done, and will find the whole palaver rather funny. And something to sell another load of books in response to. There are times I wonder if he does it deliberately to get out of a situation and have something extra to sell at the end.

When the first mixed race royal has been born, it's pretty stupid to post a picture of a chimpanzee and not expect to get a backlash. He could have found any number of pictures that could have poked fun at the royals in general without using one with a monkey. In a world where black footballs are still subject to monkey noises and abuse, there is no excuse and whether intended or otherwise, his tweet was racist.

It may be ignorance, it may be unintentional, but it still has a very high chance of shocking and offending, and when that brings his employer into the spotlight it's no wonder he's found himself with a little more time on his hands.

I know that we live in a 'snowflakey' world, but I'm not sure how anyone can defend Danny Baker on this.

He does apparently have a track record of posting chimp pictures in multiple situations unrelated to race.

Pretty dumb knowing how there’s a mob of self indulgent out there who revel in being offended. But given his long career courting controversial discussion as a job description, with no previous evidence of racism, you’d think an apology and period of solemnity would have been more appropriate.

If it was proven to be clearly intended as racist then it’s a different story. I don’t think it was. Which kind of debases the whole concept of tackling genuine racists. It all feels a little disingenuous

I agree, I don't think it was intended to be racist. Unfortunately though, I also think the BBC had no choise but to sack him, simply because there are too many idiots about now that would defend a blantent racist slur by comparing it to Danny Baker's tweet had he been allowed to keep his job.
In some ways ironically it's probably the "PC gone mad brigade" that have cost him his job.
It will be interesting to see the spin The Sun and Daily Mail put on it tomorrow

The BBC chose not to sack Alan Sugar for a far more overtly racist and offensive tweet during the world cup.1430

He acted without thinking. Most people know it is unacceptable to do what he’s done.
I thought his whole interview seemed muddled and far from the Danny Baker of old that I used to like.
I can’t believe he was so daft to have done it, and it’s a shame he will be remembered not for how funny he used to be but how stupid he was at the end

It's why for me social media is becoming anti-social media - for all the benefits, it's taken a more sinister turn in recent years and I'd argue is doing more harm than good to society in its current format.

Of course the BBC is a hypocrite for saving Shuges while sacking the likes of Clarkson and Baker, but it's what they are.

And in the end, that is what the problem is I suppose. While an ill-considered 'funny' social media post by a well-known but pretty minor public figure (or 'influencer' in the current jargon!) is not of any consequence on it's own, it is whether it gives idiots the 'Danny said it, so it's OK' excuse. Even if he didn't mean it that way.

The signs were all there with Danny Baker and his obsession with whiter than white

The signs were all there with Danny Baker and his obsession with whiter than white

Back
Top Bottom