Ex Player Josh Ruffels

Has anyone else seen Ruffles replying to someone who commented on insta below the OUFC official account, who claimed our full backs aren't good enough for the top 6. Seems a very strange thing for Ruffles to bite at he wasn't tagged in the post and nothing abusive was said towards them.

Which post? Just looked through the ones from yesterday and can't see anything?

Has anyone else seen Ruffles replying to someone who commented on insta below the OUFC official account, who claimed our full backs aren't good enough for the top 6. Seems a very strange thing for Ruffles to bite at he wasn't tagged in the post and nothing abusive was said towards them.
Well, I kind of agree. One of our full backs is good enough for a top 6 team. Clue: It’s not Josh Ruffels.

I must have missed something.
Ruffels played almost all of last season. In a team that finished in the Top 6?
Would you say that Josh Ruffels, by his standards, has had a good season?

He is only human at the end of the day. Whether a professional footballer or not, criticism can be hard to take. Not that unbelievable he bit. Shows he cares.

He has various parts of his social media handled for him. Maybe an over protective family member or agent biting rather than the player himself.

We’ve much bigger problems in the team than JR. Into next season I’ve no issues if he starts or at worst, a member of the match day squad.

He has various parts of his social media handled for him. Maybe an over protective family member or agent biting rather than the player himself.

We’ve much bigger problems in the team than JR. Into next season I’ve no issues if he starts or at worst, a member of the match day squad.
Completely agree , yes we need another left back to cover if Josh is injured or out of form but apart from the odd 45 mins he hasn't been done consistently.
Midfield will be key , wingers as all of the ones we have are going back and another serious option up top .
Would like McGuane, Barker , a right winger to sign with Shodipo as back up to either side for starters !

He’s possibly the least good of our good players, but he’s not been a problem this season and we’ve been better when he played. Obviously he should have competition but I hope he stays till he’s 36

No. Like the rest if the team he started poorly.
He did improve as the season went on. He scored 5, made a few assists and his defending improved as the season went on.
People who say that he is not good enough to play in a Top 6 team seem to forget less than a year ago.
With a more solid start to the season (Stevens, Long, Atkinson, Moore and Ruffels) I can see no reason why he can't get back to his best.
Midfield and wide men are far bigger things to worry about going forwards in my view
Having said all of that a decision needs to be made on whether Elechi is considered as serious back up to Ruffels or not.

He did improve as the season went on. He scored 5, made a few assists and his defending improved as the season went on.
People who say that he is not good enough to play in a Top 6 team seem to forget less than a year ago.
With a more solid start to the season (Stevens, Long, Atkinson, Moore and Ruffels) I can see no reason why he can't get back to his best.
Midfield and wide men are far bigger things to worry about going forwards in my view
Having said all of that a decision needs to be made on whether Elechi is considered as serious back up to Ruffels or not.
If we are serious about going up then I’m afraid we need to look at improving our left sided options. If that means Josh is pushed for his position and plays less, so be it. If that means we improve as a side because we have a genuine attacking option at left back, so be it.

He is an okay player, and okay players aren’t what is needed to take a football club to the next level. Sam Long has been a revelation this season, because he has clearly worked hard over the summer and added an extra dimension to his game. He is great going forwards and his defending has massively improved! Josh has been plodding along as ol dependable because let’s face it, we have no one there to challenge him.

I would like to see Elechi pushing him for his place and given a proper run of games in pre-season, so that we can see what he is really about!

In regard to midfielders and wide men, I would like to see us sign Maguane and Barker. A midfield three of Gorrin Brannagan, Maguane is easily one of the best in the division and Barker has shown that he is more than good enough. What we do on the other wing, I don’t know? I don’t think Shodipo will stay.

Last edited:
I would like to see Elechi pushing him for his place and given a proper run of games in pre-season, so that we can see what he is really about!
The assumption has to be that Ruffels is seen as far better than Elechi.
Have you seen Elechi play?
My suspicion is that we need better back up than Elechi if Ruffels is to be put under pressure

I reckon the decision has been made on Elechi, not a clue if he is any good myself, but if Hanson starts at left back ahead of you then it’s hard to see him getting a chance under Robinson. To play full back under Robinson you are better off not actually being a full back, he has a weird attitude to the position.

Back
Top Bottom