• ****Join the YF Fantasy EFL League: HERE. ****

Ex Player Josh Murphy

He's turned his back on us.

He's history, close this thread and move forward.
Good luck with that.
I said the same about Beadle but some tried to shout me down saying fans will always be interested in how he's doing!!.
As soon as players move their threads should be moved to the ex players thread.

Good luck with that.
I said the same about Beadle but some tried to shout me down saying fans will always be interested in how he's doing!!.
As soon as players move their threads should be moved to the ex players thread.
Not sure that Beadle made the choice to leave , didn't Brighton recall him?
But Murphy made his choice.

We did the same last year and I remember reading here that the consensus was that most here were unimpressed with our recruitment.

Got to admit, alot of us were too but it didn't end to badly did it?
We walked the league with 97 points. By most definitions that's walking the league!

Richard Hughes and John Mousinho have a brilliant working partnership and in them we trust.

We are both working first and foremost to staying in the league and progressing from there.

Since the fans saved the club and entrusted to the Eisners, they have fulfilled every promise and we are doing it the right way.
瞿20k week is well over what we have actually paid for Josh Murphy.
It's more like 瞿12-13k over three years. It's still more than what you offered over two years.

I also read that a two year deal from you took Josh M till he was 31, another year was too much and that he'd be too old but you took Vaulkes at 31 on a 2 year deal.

I understand that this deal for Josh Murphy hurt, it would anyone. But seriously it's a good deal for him and as he said a good project with a business plan in place that has seen us grow year on year.
We now have sold out ALL season tickets that are available (15000) and we have 1000s on a waiting list.

We are under no illusions this year will be hard but we are in a good place and there is a very good feel good factor.

I'm sure you're more interested in who you can now bring in. Pre season started for us yesterday. We have a Rolls Royce defender in Regan Poole back in training, pack has signed another deal and we are talking to both Man City and Norwich to get Robertson back who would thrive in this league and Kamara who will rip it up this year. But the second depends on whether Norwich keep Rowe.

Good luck anyways

See you soon
不不不不funny how things change with 1 good season, weren't you the same fans that flew banners over Bratton park complaining about the Eisners?

Fair enough, you got Murphy, you can sit there behind your keyboard acting dmug on another clubs forum(bit strange).

But we can sit smug when Murphy picks up another injury so swings and roundabouts.

Will look forward to your post halfway through the season, when it's all going wrong at perfect Portsmouth.

Smug bastard.
Staying up is a win this year but the fact remains its still feeling good right now.
And I know my father, do you know yours

不不不不funny how things change with 1 good season, weren't you the same fans that flew banners over Bratton park complaining about the Eisners?

Fair enough, you got Murphy, you can sit there behind your keyboard acting dmug on another clubs forum(bit strange).

But we can sit smug when Murphy picks up another injury so swings and roundabouts.
The amount of injuries we suffered last season to key players that were long term was probably top of that league too.
There is no smugness here.
We had a group of fans that never wanted tre Eisners and they openly tried to keep the club in the fans hands.
They lost and we moved on, if that's all you've got and have never questioned your owners I'd suggest you've got short memories

Thank you Dave

I find this quite interesting ( even if my fellow supporters dont)

I think most of us are a bit pissed off because Murphy came good in the end and will always be remembered for his Wembley performance.
Its a shame we couldnt get it over the line but that extra year was the deciding factor.

Think you will do well and in Mous you have a talented manager.

Look forward to our meetings always have done,always a good atmosphere
Good afternoon to you sir.
Yes I've always enjoyed our games.
The santa claus game at fratton is a particularly fond memory but the 5-5 at your place was a nightmare of epic proportions.
I hope we both do well this season.
Staying up is the main ask, anything after that is a bonus for both clubs.

Last edited:
The more I think about it the better were off without Murphy, we were prepared to make him our best payed player by all accounts.
I rate Murphy but over 2 seasons hes been a little bit special 8 weeks or so.
He may win you the very odd game at championship level, but the so called money saved would be better spent on the boys who make sure you get a result every or most weeks
I always liked him but hes served his purpose.

Good afternoon to you sir.
Yes I've always enjoyed our games.
The santa claus game at fratton is a particularly fond memory but the 5-5 at your place was a nightmare of epic proportions.
I hope we both do well this season.
Staying up is the main ask, anything after that is a bonus for both clubs.
Stop being diplomatic, this isn't how things work round here!

Ok
It's 'around' here not 'round' here!
Is that better?
I know, pisspoor!
Can't be arsed with all that my toy is bigger than your toy.
Back in the 80s, maybe but not now.
Have a good day mush!

No toys left, theyve all been thrown out of the pram.

Really looking forward to the new season. It will be enjoyable facing so many different teams, bigger clubs, bigger crowds, offering a decent quality of football, hopefully.

Others will disagree, but I will be watching how you fare at this level with interest, by way of comparison, if nothing else.

All the best.

I also read that a two year deal from you took Josh M till he was 31, another year was too much and that he'd be too old but you took Vaulkes at 31 on a 2 year deal.

Because Murphy relies wholly on his pace to be effective - once that goes (and you never know when father time will come calling), he'll be a chocolate teapot at Championship level.

Not seen Vaulks play yet, but from all reports, it's not raw pace that makes him a player. Hell, if you wanted to point at us signing old players, we just gave a contract to a 34 year old left back.....and are happy that we did, because he's still an excellent player with impeccable positioning and reading of the game, even if he's not the quickest any more.

Look, I don't think there's any Oxford fans that are happy that Murphy has gone.

We just think that you've overpaid him, and there's a high chance that you'll have regrets about the signing at some point over the course of that contract.

Hell, if you wanted to point at us signing old players, we just gave a contract to a 34 year old left back.....and are happy that we did, because he's still an excellent player with impeccable positioning and reading of the game, even if he's not the quickest any more.

Nail on head, Bennett has experience at the top level, England youth set up, and since coming into the club (match fit after 6 months out of the game, not to be forgotten) has made a noticeable difference to the way the team plays. Murphy only had an impact in 3 1/2 months at the end of an 18 month contract after failing to perform at his previous 4 clubs and being actively offered to other clubs last summer.

I think it would be naive not to consider it a massive risk for Portsmouth to pay him the sort of wages they are on a 3+1 contract, but also that Oxford fans shouldn't feel a little annoyed by the way it's come about. Slapping the badge at Peterborough away, referring to Oxford as "Our city" on socials, and then being more interested in the money Norwich or Portsmouth are offering than re-signing for Oxford is going to leave a bad taste for fans regardless whether you agree with his decision or not.

Hi Pompeydave. Welcome to the forum. Always taken an interest in Pompey just because we play each other more than anyone and its two similar sets of fans. (Although 15 years ago you were playing champions league and we were national league)

I would echo the always balanced Tonyw above. Murphy wins games. But what sticks a little for me is that he only produced this towards the end of his contract. Now there may be some sour grapes here but it kind of mirrors his career where hes not applied the effort commensurate to his skill level hence why he went from being an 11m player to a benchwarmer in league one for 18 months.

He was literally our very worst signing in history and then suddenly one of the best. Thisll be the last contract of his career so now that hes locked in 3 years and will be financially set for life I kind of wonder what his motivation will be.

I honestly think it could go either way. You may have the guy that single handedly keeps you up with the X factor, or you may have over leveraged the budget on a relatively unmotivated, slightly injury prone guy whose legs go quite soon.

Because Murphy relies wholly on his pace to be effective - once that goes (and you never know when father time will come calling), he'll be a chocolate teapot at Championship level.

Not seen Vaulks play yet, but from all reports, it's not raw pace that makes him a player. Hell, if you wanted to point at us signing old players, we just gave a contract to a 34 year old left back.....and are happy that we did, because he's still an excellent player with impeccable positioning and reading of the game, even if he's not the quickest any more.

Look, I don't think there's any Oxford fans that are happy that Murphy has gone.

We just think that you've overpaid him, and there's a high chance that you'll have regrets about the signing at some point over the course of that contract.
To be fair Murphy can pass, shoot, and defend well and is obviously intelligent, I can imagine him switching to a different role as his pace declines, but he wouldnt be the same valuable player.

To be fair Murphy can pass, shoot, and defend well and is obviously intelligent, I can imagine him switching to a different role as his pace declines, but he wouldnt be the same valuable player.

Yeah, he'd look a bit like Gavin Whyte does now.

Not a bad player - but a mid table League One player or squad player for a League One contender, as he was for Pompey last season.

Back
Top Bottom