Current Player #4 Jordan Thorniley

Do we have to wait until January?
Let's be realistic, he'll be free in a year and we have a pre-negotiated price in place if we want to pull the trigger quickly. That said, not too many League 1 teams will be looking to buy a 28 year old CB and no Champ teams will be for sure. Thornily isn't likely to move to a competitor unless the money is massive, in which case he'd be moving regardless of if we had a bid in or not

Let's be realistic, he'll be free in a year and we have a pre-negotiated price in place if we want to pull the trigger quickly. That said, not too many League 1 teams will be looking to buy a 28 year old CB and no Champ teams will be for sure. Thornily isn't likely to move to a competitor unless the money is massive, in which case he'd be moving regardless of if we had a bid in or not
He is 24!!

I said when we signed JT that id rather we developed our own player LM but you know what I think it’s good we got JT because him and LM are becoming a very good pair and i don’t think EM slots straight back in

🤦‍♂️

He is 24!!
well then, my previous reasoning has significantly less value! That said, I dont think Championship clubs are coming in for him, we'll be fighting off other League One clubs so the second half of my thought is still valid

Didn't we sign Liam Sercombe on a pre-contract agreement. He agreed the deal in January but finished the season with Exeter.

The problem is that the cost of living is so high in Oxford. Why would he live here as an average Joe, when he could live like a king in Sunderland, Hull, or Carlisle. That will surely factor into his thinking when contracts are offered.

The problem is that the cost of living is so high in Oxford. Why would he live here as an average Joe, when he could live like a king in Sunderland, Hull, or Carlisle. That will surely factor into his thinking when contracts are offered.
It never stops people from moving to London if they can despite using a chunk of salary on rent but I don't think footballers are ever average wherever they end up...many players house share don't they in any case when younger.

I think the house price thing gets over played a bit, there are places in the county that are not that expensive compared to the rest of the south east, players that we bring in are on good money and if they get a place down here and then move back up north later on they are actually quids in, it’s better than pissing all the money up the wall.

Still confused as to why Blackpool were happy to let him come to us rather than keep him...

I think the house price thing gets over played a bit, there are places in the county that are not that expensive compared to the rest of the south east, players that we bring in are on good money and if they get a place down here and then move back up north later on they are actually quids in, it’s better than pissing all the money up the wall.
Just as a point of interest as we were having this discussion the other day.....what areas do Oxford players tend to live?

Back
Top Bottom