Ex Player Jordan Graham

^^^ and can't see ol' Chips doing his old club any financial favours.

Again, it doesn't work like that. As it stands, Sheffield United have an expensive player with a serious injury (potentially season-ending, in fact) off the immediate wage bill and being cared for at another club (although they could treat him if their facilities are better). I'm struggling to think of a constellation where they would take Carruthers back...
They could release him from his contract if he ( Carruthers ) and Sheffield Utd agree compo

Robinson was very clear that he would use the loan market to attract players who otherwise we couldn’t afford. How about we allow him responsibility to sort out the shambles he has generated now the weaknesses (borrowing fragile players, borrowing players who are not living up to their potential) have become all too clear. Perhaps he will take some responsibility for it; never a bad thing.

Will Mitchell go back though? We don’t actually have cover for Eastwood - Shearer isn’t deemed good enough. Another injury to Eastwood would leave us looking for another loan.

As far as Garbutt is concerned, I would imagine Everton’s biggest concern is how to get him off of their payroll permanently. I can’t see him getting anywhere near their first team.
Thought Mitchell was only here till Jan anyway to cover..depends on Derby etc if he is wanted as permanent

Again, it doesn't work like that. As it stands, Sheffield United have an expensive player with a serious injury (potentially season-ending, in fact) off the immediate wage bill and being cared for at another club (although they could treat him if their facilities are better). I'm struggling to think of a constellation where they would take Carruthers back...

We will only be paying a small portion of his wage, so he’s not off the wage bill at Bramall Lane entirely.

Also, since he’s contracted there for another season and presumably of some value, I wouldn’t be surprised if they insist on their medical staff treating him.

Finally, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s routinely a clause that allows host clubs to cut ties with loanees injured for the season. An example doesn’t spring readily to mind but I don’t remember us being stuck with a crock for a year before. Acknowledge loan rules have changed very recently, though.

What I find funny is at the start of the season everyone is petrified that all these loanees would be hauled back in January if they did well.

Yet if they haven't been successful we are stuck with them!

We will only be paying a small portion of his wage, so he’s not off the wage bill at Bramall Lane entirely.

Also, since he’s contracted there for another season and presumably of some value, I wouldn’t be surprised if they insist on their medical staff treating him.

Finally, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s routinely a clause that allows host clubs to cut ties with loanees injured for the season. An example doesn’t spring readily to mind but I don’t remember us being stuck with a crock for a year before. Acknowledge loan rules have changed very recently, though.
The reality is that there is no ‘standard’ clause in loans. We might be paying a fairly modest slice of his salary, but we might also be paying 50% or more. We might have a clause regarding injuries, or we might not. It all comes down to how desperate we were to secure him, which given how highly KR thinks of him was probably fairly desperate. We can only hope that we haven’t gone all in if there’s an issue that means he’s likely to be injured beyond January, but it’s all speculation on both sides at this point.

There’s really no excuse for being out of contact for the whole summer. Can’t his mum get him a phone?

Robinson was very clear that he would use the loan market to attract players who otherwise we couldn’t afford. How about we allow him responsibility to sort out the shambles he has generated now the weaknesses (borrowing fragile players, borrowing players who are not living up to their potential) have become all too clear. Perhaps he will take some responsibility for it; never a bad thing.
The problem with this is that we are now looking at two named players, one who has a terrible disciplinary (and criminal) record while simultaneously not scoring many goals and a player who is doubtless talented but has played in a grand total of 7 games since he left us three years ago having been out for 15 months with a serious injury. (Yes I know one is not and possibly both of them might not be loans)
To me, that does not suggest that Robinson has really grasped the nettle and accepted that the summer recruitment policy was wrong.

A lot of pressure already on the players shoulders as he is now seen by some as the messiah returning to the club on a white charger to lift us out of the gloom. We all know how it could turn out. Good luck son you will need it.

Best not judge others by your own insane standards perhaps.

To me, that does not suggest that Robinson has really grasped the nettle and accepted that the summer recruitment policy was wrong.

Not so much the policy, more the actual bodies he was able to get through the door. Apart from the strange Sam Smith affair, I believe that no less than three players could not (would not?) agree terms and are now plying their trade elsewhere.

You could say we are hamstrung (see what I did there) with second choice players.......

Not so much the policy, more the actual bodies he was able to get through the door. Apart from the strange Sam Smith affair, I believe that no less than three players could not (would not?) agree terms and are now plying their trade elsewhere.

You could say we are hamstrung (see what I did there) with second choice players.......
I can quite believe that there are players who we couldn't get over the line - I am guessing all clubs have that in the transfer windows though, there must be a queue of clubs looking at the better players.
We were always told that there were lists of players we were targeting for each place we wanted to strengthen and that we would just move on to the next one when/if one fell through. I wonder if we spent so long chasing and negotiating with the top players on our list that by the time they fell through some of our second and third choices had gone as well? I guess we will never know.
I suppose what I meant (not well put) was that we have spent time getting unfit players up to (partial) speed - is that something we should be doing again, no matter how talented the individual, and signing a player who is very likely to fall foul of club discipline/training (at the very least) making him perhaps unpickable if he has strict clauses in his contract as was intimated seems risky. You have two signings right there who seem to me to fall into the 'not match ready', 'possibly not always available' and 'who knows if they are good enough any more' camps - add that to the number of crocked and 'not as good as we hoped' players already in the squad and all I can see is a continuation of the current chopping and changing and player shortage we are already suffering from. I can't help feeling we need some 'steady Eddies' - people who are likely to be available week after week, can play for the full 90 minutes, have experience at this level and can be bonded into a team rather than a revolving cast of individuals. We have seen the start of that in the defence.

Moss is a good example of the “steady Eddie” you refer to.
On the previous point about attracting players here, KR certainly isn’t the draw Mapp was!

Would you risk allowing him to make the same mistakes again, if it was your money?

Seems to be similarities to Garbutt: has previously played at a higher level and has had one serious injury leading to serious lack of recent playing time. Hopefully JG fares better, would be ecstatic if we could get him

Great news. Imagine Whyte, Browne, Holmes and Graham in the same team?
Looking at the stats - he only played 6 times for us, felt like much more and he has only ever scored 1 goal in his professional career.
Got feeling he doesn't like Paul Lambert - JG started at Aston Villa but Lambert sold him to Wolves. He did well at Wolves after he left us but then Lambert was appointed manager and he sent JG out on loan. Then to resurrect his career he went to Ipswich, only for Hurst to be sacked and Lambert be appointed manager. JG has not played a match since and I assume sent back to Wolves!
That's pretty bad luck to fall out with Lambert at Wolves, go on season long loan to Ipswich, and for Lambert then to be appointed Ipswich manager.

• React
Reactions: Ian

Possibly, but it could be worth considering that he's realised he's made a mistake, but can't fix it properly in January. There just isn't the quality of player available on a free. It's loans and transfer fees until it can get fixed proper in the summer.

In the summer just gone we signed only 3 first-team players on free transfers, whereas we let 6 first-teamers leave for nothing in a squad that already looked thin. At this level, free transfers are the bread and butter, and KR messed up big time.

Back
Top Bottom