Transfer News Jordan Archer

I don’t overly rate him. He looks poor n crosses, and yesterday he let a ball go across the box in last few minutes without a care in the world. Also, earlier in the game a ball dropped just passed his left hand post again without any sense of urgency.

He can kick a ball a long way, but he tends to over cook it when distributing the ball.

Eastwood for me any day.

Compare him to the last time Eastwood was injured though and we brought in a short-term replacement...

I'd say he's a more "modern" keeper than Easty. Better with his feet and quicker on the uptake when it comes to getting the game started.
Prone to the odd rush of blood to the head though. Am sure once he is punished for it (and it is coming) he will be crucified.
But definitely a more than capable replacement, I'd be happy to have him stay (though he will probably be on his way if the rumours are to be believed).

I'd say he's a more "modern" keeper than Easty. Better with his feet and quicker on the uptake when it comes to getting the game started.
Prone to the odd rush of blood to the head though. Am sure once he is punished for it (and it is coming) he will be crucified.
But definitely a more than capable replacement, I'd be happy to have him stay (though he will probably be on his way if the rumours are to be believed).
He's a very decent replacement. Eastwood is very good, but can be a bit flat- footed. Archer is pretty quick- he may not always make the right decision, but he looks on his game. He seems a talker as well- possibly more so that Eastwood? Will be happy to have Eastwood back, but Archer has been very useful....

Ok ill address the elephant in the room, dont we need to sign an experienced goalkeeper if we’re serious about going for promotion this season? Can we rely on there being another decent out-of-contract goalkeeper out there if Eastwood gets injured again in February or March..? Im assuming if Robinson doesnt feel he can trust his young back-up keeper in December, that wont change drastically when we get into squeaky bum part of the season.

Ok ill address the elephant in the room, dont we need to sign an experienced goalkeeper if we’re serious about going for promotion this season? Can we rely on there being another decent out-of-contract goalkeeper out there if Eastwood gets injured again in February or March..? Im assuming if Robinson doesnt feel he can trust his young back-up keeper in December, that wont change drastically when we get into squeaky bum part of the season.
I think Archer has been fine, and if Easty is either knackered for another 6 weeks or off to pastures new then I'd be happy if we signed him. BUT he is not going to sign for us just to sit on the bench in case Eastwood gets another injury - he will want to play first team football, be it here or in Scotland. The same is pretty much the same for any decent keeper. If Eastwood is going to be fit soon (and didn't I hear Robinson say post match that they are looking at the Rotherham game for his return?) then stick with him and Stevens. A wage would be better spent on the outfield part of the squad rather than paying a probably three month bench warmer.

I have virtually no idea how good Archer is as he’s hardly had anything to do here. But he seems calm on the ball and is a good communicator, neither of which are Eastwood’s strengths. Nor is Eastwood very good on crosses - he either stays rooted or doesn’t command the box. He’s an old fashioned shot stopper, and a largely very fine one, but he wasn’t quite the same after that horror injury to his finger last year, and this season has looked ropier still, quite possibly due to his family moving away. He produces the odd brilliant save which makes you think it’s still in there, but overall he’s not what he was. He’s gone from being a great keeper at this level to an okay one who is occasionally decent, in my opinion. He’s nowhere near the standard of the first two seasons after he rejoined.

Can see him leaving in the summer for sure, but permanently swapping keepers mid-season would be a hell of a risk, even if Archer were available and willing to stay. Think it’s more likely Eastwood will come back in to finish the season, so hopefully he gets closer to his old self for the run in. I can’t imagine there’s virtually any chance that he’s here beyond that, though, so the goalkeeping position in general is certainly one to keep an eye on.

i may be alone in this and needing to be careful what i say but really do think that are better alternatives to the current holder of the keepers jersey who has made some odd or not decisions and is an accident waiting to happen.

On the contrary Archer has impressed and club must be thinking about letting Eastwood go. He’s a Scottish international ffs.
On the other hand Robinson clearly stated in his last interview that Eastwood was back for Rotherham

On the contrary Archer has impressed and club must be thinking about letting Eastwood go. He’s a Scottish international ffs.
On the other hand Robinson clearly stated in his last interview that Eastwood was back for Rotherham
Didn't he play just one game for Scotland and had a bit of a mare?

As has been said, he has had very little to do really. He has been okay, but has had a few dodgy moments - the cross he totally missed in the Lincoln match, and a couple of very strange punches of the ball at about chest height.

I like that he usually tries to distribute the ball quickly, but his kicking is average, and a couple of quick throws just put us straight in to trouble in the last match.

He is okay, but not great.

Archer's kicking has been fine and he has slotted in well.

It always seems to me that a 'keeper is criticised for not being able to put the ball on a sixpence anywhere on the pitch.

Yet if it's your playmaker doing this he's a genius. And if it's your central defender, well, he's the best player in league 1.

Archer's kicking has been fine and he has slotted in well.

It always seems to me that a 'keeper is criticised for not being able to put the ball on a sixpence anywhere on the pitch.

Yet if it's your playmaker doing this he's a genius. And if it's your central defender, well, he's the best player in league 1.

Archer's short distribution and his calmness as part of group passing the ball about at the back has been excellent. However I would say his longer kicking has been hit and miss but no better or worse than most keepers in L1. Also I think Eastwood can kick it further than Archer if necessary and slightly more accurately.

Overall, I'd be happy if Archer stayed but also very happy with Easty back in goal.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Nearly cost us two points again late on by spilling a poor shot. Ok as an emergency interim but let's get Easty back please!

Nearly cost us two points again late on by spilling a poor shot. Ok as an emergency interim but let's get Easty back please!
But then arguably saved us by pulling off two good saves in the follow up. Of course these wouldn't have been needed if he'd held the first shot, but he's conceded 2 in 5 league games which have seen 17 shots on target against us.

As a player who had been out of action for several months, I'd say that he has been more than decent and will get better with more games. Definitely worth sticking with until Eastwood is 100% and maybe also worth keeping until the end of the season to give us the best chance of promotion.

There’s no hiding place for any keeper, a mistake by them is almost always costly so best to judge on all round performances and this lad has been a very able and accomplished ‘interim’. I’d hope we could persuade him to stay as he’d push our keepers to improve

Keeping Archer may also allow us to send Stevens out on loan. He deserves to be playing regularly and a few months at a decent level will do him more favours than being sat on our bench.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Keeping Archer may also allow us to send Stevens out on loan. He deserves to be playing regularly and a few months at a decent level will do him more favours than being sat on our bench.

Eastwood any day of the week.

But then arguably saved us by pulling off two good saves in the follow up. Of course these wouldn't have been needed if he'd held the first shot, but he's conceded 2 in 5 league games which have seen 17 shots on target against us.

As a player who had been out of action for several months, I'd say that he has been more than decent and will get better with more games. Definitely worth sticking with until Eastwood is 100% and maybe also worth keeping until the end of the season to give us the best chance of promotion.
apart from Archer-inflicted follow-ups, I don't recall many of these shots on target really needing saving.

RO suggested he has made at least one very good save yesterday.
He made 2 good saves late on v Lincoln to get the win for us.
Sure he isnt perfect but for those level e seems a calm, decent keeper.

Back
Top Bottom