Johnny Lager.

He was still living in Witney when he was playing for Pompey.
He was banned from driving,so he had a youth player with a Licence lodging with him.
Used to stop off at The Seacourt Arms on the way home from training most days !

Saw him score at Stamford Bridge when we knocked Chelsea out of the FA cup in 91.
Scored twice against the scum in 92.

I can forgive anyone a "few jars" if they can do that on the pitch.

I seem to remember a story about him throwing someone through a pub window in Witney? I was only young then so could be a false memory!!

On the pitch he was one of my favourite players of that era, and as someone said early his 4 goal destruction of Luton was the pick of his games. I seem to remember Beauchamp having an absolute stormer in that game too.

Wasn't it that he headbutted someone through a window and it wasn't even the guy who he thought it was?

He was rough then and still rough now, me and my mates got him kicked out of 5th Avenue, my mates are Leeds fans and we’re doing the Vinnie chant, he didn’t like it and got aggressive, we got him booted out - Thug.

He was still living in Witney when he was playing for Pompey.
He was banned from driving,so he had a youth player with a Licence lodging with him.
Used to stop off at The Seacourt Arms on the way home from training most days !

Saw him score at Stamford Bridge when we knocked Chelsea out of the FA cup in 91.
Scored twice against the scum in 92.

I can forgive anyone a "few jars" if they can do that on the pitch.
I was @ Chelsea 91 too in the Shed End, keeping quiet buy dry. I cant find any articles or youtube footage of that great day. Its like it never happened! I agree though that was a grt team and he was an excellent player. Working his socks off. Nothing on him.

Wasn't it that he headbutted someone through a window and it wasn't even the guy who he thought it was?

Possibly. The Oxford Mail archives don’t go back that far.

Just remembering also that 20 yard volley for the smash and grab on TV against Derby. They absolutely battered us but couldn’t get past Paul Reece then Johnny Lager popped up with the winner.

Did anyone watch Durnin playing for Liverpool in the Indoor Masters they used to show on Sky? He was quality in those games!!

Possibly. The Oxford Mail archives don’t go back that far.

Just remembering also that 20 yard volley for the smash and grab on TV against Derby. They absolutely battered us but couldn’t get past Paul Reece then Johnny Lager popped up with the winner.

Did anyone watch Durnin playing for Liverpool in the Indoor Masters they used to show on Sky? He was quality in those games!!
And Paul Reece was absolutely amazing that day!!!! Happy, happy times

And Paul Reece was absolutely amazing that day!!!! Happy, happy times
Reecey got signed on a full contract after keeping a clean sheet after pretty much 90 mins of constant bombardment, wasn't it announced on live TV post match?

Johnny Lager's winner was, as @lerekdilley recalls above, a proper smash n grab :D

Didn’t he take something like 12 plus games to score his first goal for the club? For a striker it was quite a barren streak but I don’t remember the supporters being particularly inpatient,

If my memory serves me right he finally scored in a 1-0 win at the Manor, think it was Walsall?I went to Brentford as well, used to love singing the Jonny Lager chant.

He was rough then and still rough now, me and my mates got him kicked out of 5th Avenue, my mates are Leeds fans and we’re doing the Vinnie chant, he didn’t like it and got aggressive, we got him booted out - Thug.

Must be a running theme, we got Martin Gray kicked out of 5th Avenue when he threatened to glass my mate. Mark Angel was a toe rag as well, always trying to get off with everyone’s girlfriend.

Must be a running theme, we got Martin Gray kicked out of 5th Avenue when he threatened to glass my mate. Mark Angel was a toe rag as well, always trying to get off with everyone’s girlfriend.

Sounds like a Mr Luke Foster does Angel lol

The club had a real drinking culture at the time,i remember being in Park End club around that time,Magilton,Ford,Kee and Dave Collins (remember him ?) were all bolloxed,Paul Kee couldn't stand up.I was pissed off because we had lost to Grimsby that day and they were partying like they had just won promotion.Bumped into Magilton about 15 years ago in Tenerife,he was with Keith Gillespie and a few other Norn Ireland players,he was pissed that day as well,in the middle of the afternoon !

Watched his superb goal against Newcastle from the London Rd end in a 3-1 win (I think?) with Keegan doing his nut in the dugout, insisting it was offside. Happy days.

Back
Top Bottom