Ex Player Joey interview on sky sports

To be fair to Joey, London isn't an hour away. I've worked in West London for 12 years now and the drive from Oxford is usually 2 hours plus into Brentford but can top 3 and a half hours. The last 6 days running, I've left Oxfordshire at 6 and been at my desk just after 9. Out East, I go to the London Stadium and Olympic Park a few times a month and that's 3 hours too on a good day.

London is an hour away at "certain times" that's this side of the capital

He was given assurances that he could live in Oxford and commute and he didn't have the experience to know how a journey like that can affect you and Christ it affects you... You can criticize him for not knowing or you can feel for a young man, wanting to do his best and getting himself into a crap situation.

Joey could have moved to Villa, Southampton, Coventry, Notts Forest all easier to drive to than West Ham. He just didn't know.

Before moving years ago I always got the train and commutted every day, which used to work out about 1:30 to 1:45 each way but of course depends on where you are going in the capital. Oxford is a commuter town these days but back then it was not so easy. He was just stupid I guess, but whoever his agent was obviously was just interested in making a few quid.

Before moving years ago I always got the train and commutted every day, which used to work out about 1:30 to 1:45 each way but of course depends on where you are going in the capital. Oxford is a commuter town these days but back then it was not so easy. He was just stupid I guess, but whoever his agent was obviously was just interested in making a few quid.

Yeah, when I used to live in Kidlington and worked in central London, you could just about do it in 1:45 on the train, now with Chiltern, easily in 1:15.

Joey wouldnt have got the train to training, He'd have driven. M40, M25, M11 or M40 and then North Circular. Both journeys in the 90s would have been 3 hours each way. For a young man thats too much no matter what you're paid.

I wouldnt say he was stupid tho, inexperienced and a bit naive yes.

To be fair to Joey, London isn't an hour away. I've worked in West London for 12 years now and the drive from Oxford is usually 2 hours plus into Brentford but can top 3 and a half hours. The last 6 days running, I've left Oxfordshire at 6 and been at my desk just after 9. Out East, I go to the London Stadium and Olympic Park a few times a month and that's 3 hours too on a good day.

He was given assurances that he could live in Oxford and commute and he didn't have the experience to know how a journey like that can affect you and Christ it affects you... You can criticize him for not knowing or you can feel for a young man, wanting to do his best and getting himself into a crap situation.

Joey could have moved to Villa, Southampton, Coventry, Notts Forest all easier to drive to than West Ham. He just didn't know.

Didn’t know ? It’s his fault if he couldn’t be arsed to do 10 minutes research into travelling distances. If I was after a new job one of the first things I’d do is calculate my new travelling time and expense. Beauchamp doesn’t come across as the sharpest knife in the drawer.

That'd be funny but, talking about mental health issues, I've seen him come out of the Summertown bookies looking very worse for wear after a session. He didn't get a job in one did he?

That'd be funny but, talking about mental health issues, I've seen him come out of the Summertown bookies looking very worse for wear after a session. He didn't get a job in one did he?

Yep he was working in a bookies last I heard

Yep he was working in a bookies last I heard

Wow, I'd personally hate that job. He's had 2 bouts of depression and probably sees people going through it regularly working in that type of environment.

He was easily as good as Darren Anderton who was a youngster at Pompey at the time, he won loads of caps.
Yup, Joey was a natural left footer too whereas Anderton was one of many an England left winger who would beat his man, get to the byline... and then (sigh) undo all the good work by cutting the ball back to deliver with the right foot. Joey would have been an England regular for sure.

On his day Joey was as good as anyone I have seen in an Oxford shirt. Denis Smith alludes to that in his autobiography as does Gareth Southgate in ‘Woody and Nord’. I got to know him as well. He was shy and introverted ( by football standards at that time)but certainly not thick ( member of MENSA). He was told by Billy Bonds he could commute. Harry had other ideas. He had no option but to hurriedly complete the move as we were close to folding. His £1 million saved us. The greatest shame was the horrible abuse and vitriol directed at him during his brief stay at Swindon.

Joey is a regular at home games as a punter/supporter these days

I have to say, my feelings about Joey are a complicated mix of gratitude, sympathy and disappointment.

Gratitude because since I started watching Oxford games in the early 90s, there hasn't ever been a more exciting player in yellow (in terms of best players, I'd have him second to Matt Elliott, but #1 in terms of excitement). Seeing him fly down the wing towards the London Road, whipping in pinpoint crosses was always a thrilling sight.

Sympathy because the guy was clearly badly advised, given minimal support and obviously mentally unequipped to deal with a move to a club like West Ham at the time.

Disappointment though because it would have been a proud moment to see one of our own tearing up the Premier League and wearing the three lions - and it should have happened with Joey; he had the talent to spare.

Didn’t know ? It’s his fault if he couldn’t be arsed to do 10 minutes research into travelling distances. If I was after a new job one of the first things I’d do is calculate my new travelling time and expense. Beauchamp doesn’t come across as the sharpest knife in the drawer.
25 years ago so he wouldn't have had google maps on his Smartphone to check the distances - much better to ask his advisers who no doubt told him whatever they thought would work for them...

One of my favourite Joey memories is the look of resignation on his face, when he heard the left back coming forward for the overlap, only to then realise that it was Wayne Hatswell

To illustrate agents work. Joey signed a contract extension after 2 scintillating TV performances. His agent was stood outside the office under London Road stand touting him around the same day. The agents will tell their clients anything to broker a deal. Remember £1 million transfer possibly yields the agent £100.000. Bet he didn’t tell Joey that their ChadwellHeath training ground was in Essex.

We drive to Canary Wharf etc and leave at 5.30am and it never takes any longer than 2hrs unless there’s an accident or something but the roads are probably better now than they were back then and obviously he wouldn’t be driving at that time of day either .

Back
Top Bottom