Ex Player Joe Rothwell

Peterdev

Linked with a move to Blackburn. Out of contract but might be a fee. On daily gossip BBC

Think its pretty obvious hes off. A move to Blackburn makes sense. Looking forward to seeing KRs brill signings to replace these departures.

Linked with a move to Blackburn. Out of contract but might be a fee. On daily gossip BBC

It’s at a stage where I’d be more surprised if he were to stay rather than leave.

Love watching Rothwell and will be a shame to see him leave although his seeming inability to play for an extended run of games is a concern.

Good luck to him at Blackburn if he does indeed leave - am sure it would be handy for personal reasons to be back in that part of the county and the lure of a big club, higher wages and the Championship will be great.

I know that some people don't believe in it because of the nature of being a footballer and the perception it gives off that you just move around and don't get bothered by anything, but I do think there's something to be said for these young players from the other end of the country occasionally wanting to return home. If they have kids then quite often their family will move with them and it means they can settle, but these lads in their early twenties are often on their own while their girlfriends and friends remain behind. Ledson wanted to go to Preston because it's less than an hour from Liverpool, Rothwell and the Blackburn link that's been around since January makes sense because it's just a few miles from his home, McAleny didn't come and went to Fleetwood because he wanted to stay in the north west... there's a theme in recent seasons. We also haven't moved forward since the likes of Ledson and Rothwell arrived, having finished top eight in L1 in their first season and then staving off relegation in their second. The only thing that can often compete with geography is playing at a higher level and thus earning more money, and even then it doesn't guarantee anything if there's a better or equal offer from a club near their roots.

Just look at someone like Eastwood. Wife and child moved with him, settled in the area, it becomes a priority (which he has said himself) and he signs another contract. Henry is from Reading, and that likely played a part in him choosing us last summer when he left Wolves. Players like MacDonald, Sercombe etc moved with their families and settled. Then there are players we have / have had recently who have been able to stay at home while playing here. Dunkley stayed around Birmingham, Roofe stayed in Walsall, Rob Hall is from Aylesbury... there are loads.

Obviously some young players do move and settle, there are always exceptions, but quite often you find that a young, single player from several hours away who brings nobody with him will gravitate towards their roots. There are countless players who when you study their club history only ever stay in one chunk of the country, or leave a region only to return and stay put a few seasons later. It's far more common than you think when you start looking into it.

We as fans can wax lyrical all we like about being a footballer and getting on with it, sucking it up etc, but when you're a guy in your early twenties who has spent two years away from their mates and girlfriend, who if they won't move with you is most probably in your ear quite a lot to come home and wants you around more than maybe once a week at best, it's a big factor. I'd fully expect Rothwell to leave for a club within an hour of Manchester given his circumstances.

That said, if he did stay I would do cartwheels because I think he's the best technical footballer at the club and has shown that when he's fit he can be a real asset. I want him to stay very badly indeed. I just think that his personal circumstances make it highly unlikely.

Sorry, but I don't get this "lure of a big club" (Blackburn Rovers) - granted they at the moment get bigger crowds than us, but Bournemouth get fewer crowds than them and are in the Premiership. Let's not "big" other clubs up so much, we are Oxford United and we have done sensational things since coming into the Football League in 1962.

Sorry, but I don't get this "lure of a big club" (Blackburn Rovers) - granted they at the moment get bigger crowds than us, but Bournemouth get fewer crowds than them and are in the Premiership. Let's not "big" other clubs up so much, we are Oxford United and we have done sensational things since coming into the Football League in 1962.
But, Blackburn are still a 'bigger' club than us.

Like it or not but OUFC aren’t a big club when you compare us to clubs like Blackburn.

We are a top half league 1 club in size. Any higher than that then we are a small club compared to the others.

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have ambitions to get to the championship but a bit of perspective is needed along the way.

It’s difficult to argue this is a blow

Rothwell has had plenty of time to nail down a regular spot and he has not managed it

Four perm or temporary managers were never entirely sure where his best position was

And if it was the no 10, as I suspect, then, Henry plays ahead of him.

It’s a shame it didn’t work out but our track record with young talent is second to very few. Maybe this one not working out is down-to the player

Ryaniobirdio makes good points about young players wanting to return to their roots. That's the "lure" , as you put it. If you read his analysis properly it's got nothing to do with one club being bigger than another.

Ryanbirdio's analysis is excellent. It is only regrettable that in the midst of all this, players, clubs and agents put out so much nonsense to excuse moves / non-moves / failed bids etc.

The Lancashire telegraph at least confirms there will be a fee a slightly some were concerned he would leave on a free. Guess KR knew he wouldn’t sign an extension but offered a contract to ensure we received some kind of financial compensation.

Good luck to the lad if he does move on. I've no problem at all with lads giving their best for us, wanting to better themselves (Ledson, Roofe etc) rather than the chancers who don't (Marv).

BUT if it is to be Blackburn for a 'No10' role does that mean they wont be signing Jack Payne?

Rothwell needs to think carefully, the grass isn’t always greener! Ask Mr Maguire!!

I like Rothwell he is a handy player on his day. But that day isn’t every game. Is he really going to get into Blackburn’s team? Is he really a championship player? He is a good league one player IMO, still with lots to prove. He could certainly step up in the future but he needs s season where he players 40 games and is consistent.

I think he will be off and if he goes I wish him luck, but I genuinely feel another season at Oxford could be a better long term career decision.

Sorry I was trying to make the point (and not very well) that certain players stay with a club, like Bournemouth (Francis and Cook) through the divisions and improve as they go on. With Oxford years ago it was the Atkinson brothers, Wimbledon, Wise and Sanchez. But perhaps times change.

Rothwell needs to think carefully, the grass isn’t always greener! Ask Mr Maguire!!

I like Rothwell he is a handy player on his day. But that day isn’t every game. Is he really going to get into Blackburn’s team? Is he really a championship player? He is a good league one player IMO, still with lots to prove. He could certainly step up in the future but he needs s season where he players 40 games and is consistent.

I think he will be off and if he goes I wish him luck, but I genuinely feel another season at Oxford could be a better long term career decision.

Higher leagued club, more money and nearer to family!

Sorry I was trying to make the point (and not very well) that certain players stay with a club, like Bournemouth (Francis and Cook) through the divisions and improve as they go on. With Oxford years ago it was the Atkinson brothers, Wimbledon, Wise and Sanchez. But perhaps times change.

A certain billionaire probably helped at Bournemouth!

So not only must we develop our young players we should be looking more south for players rather than north, if we can snaffle players from Birmingham down to the south coast then perhaps more might stay.

Back
Top Bottom