Manager/Coach Jim Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickwalton1964

I was at the recent ‘Harry Redknapp Evening’ in town and when Jim’s name inevitably cropped up Harry mentioned that he was unwell and it sounded something a bit more serious than just a passing illness.

Haven’t seen him at one of our matches for a season or two now either. I guess he must be heading towards 80 and no one is indestructible but even so I wish him well and hope he’s able to make a recovery. The man is undoubtedly a genuine Oxford legend.

Just wondered if anyone else knows anything regarding his current plight ?

I heard from someone that he’s in a home in freeland and harry goes there to visit not sure how true that is though as heard that a while back

Yes, he's got dementia unfortunately. He's being looked after in a care home, his family are helping as much as they can. He's 78, so his condition isn't going to get better I'm afraid. Next time we play Pompey in a proper match I'd hope that the fans could get together and give him the respect that he deserves.

Yes, he's got dementia unfortunately. He's being looked after in a care home, his family are helping as much as they can. He's 78, so his condition isn't going to get better I'm afraid. Next time we play Pompey in a proper match I'd hope that the fans could get together and give him the respect that he deserves.
nov 2 at Fratton park or 28 march (2020) at the breeze block (or both?)

nov 2 at Fratton park or 28 march (2020) at the breeze block (or both?)
Both maybe, I know the Pompey lads are well aware of Jim's condition. Just needs someone to get a chant going or do a flag. Problem is Pompey would just want to do the old Harry and Jim bollox.

Both maybe, I know the Pompey lads are well aware of Jim's condition. Just needs someone to get a chant going or do a flag. Problem is Pompey would just want to do the old Harry and Jim bollox.

Big north stand surfer across the divide to cover both fans. Get it planned In Advance and they’ll be no probs getting it sorted and funded.

Maybe the ultras could do Jim and both clubs proud by coming up with a design that will recognise the work Jim did for both clubs. Donations would come flying in. Do it for Jim, lads... x

Very sad to hear about Jim. It’s unfortunately one of those conditions that many are likely to get.
I‘m sure his family will be very supportive.
he did so much for Oxford United and he will have always a fond place in my heart as with all Oxford supporters especially those around in the 1980s

Big north stand surfer across the divide to cover both fans. Get it planned In Advance and they’ll be no probs getting it sorted and funded.

Maybe the ultras could do Jim and both clubs proud by coming up with a design that will recognise the work Jim did for both clubs. Donations would come flying in. Do it for Jim, lads... x
What a brilliant idea!??

Could a huge JS banner not be sorted with a decent design?

Sure if there was a PayPal or something set up it can be sorted ASAP

these are two of the leading Dementia charities in the UK

Sarge, I hope you don’t mind if I also mention this local charity.

Contented Dementia Trust is a local Oxfordshire charity based in Burford. I have had first hand experience of the fantastic work they do. It would be great if supporters/club could support them in some way.
no prob at all....they were quite helpful n supportive of my mum some 9-10 years ago now

( kind of on subject !... I struggled to remember the name of the Burford based dementia trust earlier :rolleyes: )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom