Manager/Coach Jim Smith RIP

Woken up this morning still feeling sad.

Some great tributes have been posted on here and social media.

Shows what man he was.

Interesting reading the various articles about Jim's passing, in many his link to OUFC seems to just getting a passing mention.

I think his greatest achievements were at the manor, but he was an old school football man who seemed to be loved everywhere he went.

As has been said before. Legend is used far too easily these days, but in Jim's case it is fully justified and more so! On the times I spoke to him he was always a gentleman too and and took time out to speak or in the case when I wrote to Oxford to thank him for his great service, to come back accordingly with grace and humility.

For those that didn't see the 80's, when we lost Ian Greaves as manager most of us were gutted, but then came the Bald Eagle and thereafter we never looked back. We didn't just win two promotions consecutively, we played a brand of football that was just a delight to see, dominating other teams throughout - a style and superiority we may never see such again. Maurice Evans did a great job taking us to Wembley and winning it, but that lovely man would have always had the grace to say that it was Jim's team he took there. In my book Jim will never be forgotten and forever in our hearts I'm sure.

Personally I have always hoped we would have a statue of Jim outside the ground and that the such would be done whilst the great man was alive to see it in order to understand the love we have for him. Although sadly he won't ever see it now, such a statue is nevertheless is a must in my opinion.

RIP Jim - A true Great!

Last edited:
JIMMY SMITHS YELLOW ARMY!!!
RIP to an absolute Oxford legend and 1 of my all time heroes

Goodness me, I have tears in my eyes quietly reminiscing and reading the many, wonderful tributes to Jim on here.

If you was in two minds about going to MK on Saturday, please go! That moment when yellow submarine and Jim Smith’s yellow army ring rounds the away end will be extremely poignant. Let’s give the very best man a fitting send off.
As for a flag vs City - great gesture from Mous and the players. Come on Ultras ??
RIP Jim.

Jim Smith a true Oxford legend.
Very sad to hear of his passing, and our thoughts go out to his family and friends
R.I.P Jim

For the kids amongst you..... far better on the London Road but hey, football has "improved"....
I`m not sure I, or anyone I know could hold it together to do this so here`s the original words....

Solo: In the town
Crowd: In the town
Solo: Where I was born
Crowd:Where I was born
Solo: Lived a man
Crowd: Lived a man
Solo: Called Jimmy Smith
Crowd: Called Jimmy Smith
Solo: And he had
Crowd: And he had
Solo: No hair
Crowd: No hair
Solo: He was
Crowd: He was
Solo: Completely bare
Crowd: Completely bare

Solo: But he had
Crowd: But he had

Solo: A football team
Crowd: A football team

Solo: Who ruled
Crowd: Who ruled
Solo: Supreme
Crowd: Supreme

Solo: And they rose
Crowd: And they rose
Solo: Above the rest
Crowd: Above the rest

Solo: They were
Crowd: They were

Solo: The very best
Crowd: The very best

Solo: Division One
Crowd: Division One

Solo: Here we come
Crowd: Here we come

Solo: Division Two
Crowd: Division Two

Solo: Goodbye to you
Crowd: Goodbye to you

All: Singing we all live in a Yellow Submarine...a Yellow Submarine...
a Yellow Submarine...a Yellow Submarine...

RIP Jim, legend & gentleman across the football world. :cry:

We played the most magnificent football in the early to mid eighties.

Managed by a shrewd man with fire in his eyes and who said it as he saw it.

Probably the biggest character ever at our football club.

Was also at that Sudbury Trophy game in 2008 as caretaker boss Jim trudged along the side of a sodden pitch in his wellies cheerfully abusing the mediocre football on offer and saying to the soaked OUFC supporters, ‘why do we bother lads, why do we effing bother’?

But with a twinkle in his eye.

What a bloke. COYY.

He built a team that will always be remembered, played amazing football ,signed some footballers who I never thought would come here like bobby McDonald. He also had a eye for youth with Kevin brock and Andy Thomas. Jim will never be forgotten by those lucky enough to see the glory years

Remember something from his autobiography about him and big Ron going to visit Ken Fish in hospital after he’d had his leg amputated. They didn’t know whether it was his left or right leg and they took him a pair of slippers as a gift and then went around the ward to see if anyone had had the other leg off. Crying with laughter! Great manage, great bloke RIP.

Was also at that Sudbury Trophy game in 2008 as caretaker boss Jim trudged along the side of a sodden pitch in his wellies cheerfully abusing the mediocre football on offer and saying to the soaked OUFC supporters, ‘why do we bother lads, why do we effing bother’?

What a team he had to work with, not a single one would get close to our team today (yes, even Beano):

Billy Turley

Joe Burnell
Chris Willmott
Luke Foster
Matt Day
Chris Carruthers
Lewis Haldane
Eddie Hutchinson
Adam Murray
Sam Deering
Yemi Odubade
James Constable
Phil Trainer
Jamie Guy

:cry: What a very sad loss. His OUFC side in the Eighties were a supporters dream come true. I was in my Twenties then and for me everything I did in my social life revolved around Jim Smith and following the mighty OUFC. So, so many wonderful memories home and away. A genuinely nice man with OUFC in his heart.
It would be lovely to think that OUFC could honour him in some way by either naming a stand or placing a statue at the Kas Stad.

Thanks Jim for everything you did.

OUFCX

RIP Bald Eagle, an absolute legend who certainly deserves a statue outside the ground (one that can be transported to our new home too!).

I started attending regularly after he returned against Peterborough at home, there was such a buzz around the place that day. Will never forget that 20 game unbeaten run too when we dropped into non-league. Without those moments I probably wouldn't have started attending home and away and getting hooked on OUFC as a youngster. Gutted I missed his 80's side.

I'm sure there will be lots of tributes pouring in, and possibly a joint effort when we play Portsmouth too

Back
Top Bottom