Manager/Coach Jim Smith RIP

Whichever game the full tribute is done, it would be so special to get as many ex players on the pitch as possible from his two stints with the club, the memories would come flooding back and many of his players especially from 1983-1985 era would not have had the careers they enjoyed without the belief Jim installed into them...

As fantastic as that would be, it might be best hoping for the Wycombe game as Boxing Day may dilute those who could make it.

Would love to try to get everyone in the ground by 2.30 or so to have a proper tribute building up to kick off.

Well done chaps. What a great way to celebrate the life of a true OUFC legend.

Thank you Jim, your impact on our great club should never be underestimated...true legend.

Rest In Peace.

The Times had an interesting obituary on the great man yesterday. Much of it was featured on Oxford United

Condolences to the Smith family. My watching of Oxford started about 5 years after Jim's great team and the wheels were starting to fall off although we were still playing at a decent level at the time and had some good players, just not as good as a few years earlier. But even just a few years after his time at the club you knew what a hero he was and what a great team we had enjoyed so his legacy in the clubs history was cemented from very early on.

I met him just once, in the boardroom a few years ago. He was leaning at the bar with a glass of whisky in his hand. Said hello, and he looked me up and down before saying anything back. He probably assessed me as a piece of dirt off his shoe and nowhere near his league but he still had time for a few words before someone better class came our way to interrupt us, or more likely rescue him. Was one of those moments I will never forget where I met and spoke to a superstar.

Stole my idea! ;)

At least this would be something we can do now for a club legend

Back
Top Bottom