Jerome & Co

m

Loosely connected to iFollow, apologies if it's not deemed appropriate.

First time I've watched a game with the RadOx commentary on and I have to say that they described the game that I saw! It's been suggested that audio commentary can be a bit 'exaggerated' to make a game sound more interesting but I heard none of that.

We're lucky to have them I say.

They are pretty excellent. I don't think they 'exaggerate' the game and generally manage to get over what they think of the game and the performances without being too obviously critical. I have to say that I didn't think they were that impressed today!
Of course, you *do* get a better and more accurate impression of the game when you are watching *and* listening and not just listening - they obviously cannot describe everything. And it does have to be said that sometimes when I am just listening and Nick (bless him!) is commentating I do not actually know which team has scored! Even that though has become more endearing than annoying.
Yes, we are lucky to have them.

They have been much more evenhanded since being on tv so to speak. I wonder how Rosie's tinted specs will be!

I doubt that after all these years, they’ve changed how they commentate, just because they’re on TV. I look forward to the commentary every game, and in the past, I’ve often listened to the commentary at the game itself.

We are indeed lucky to have them.

I doubt that after all these years, they’ve changed how they commentate, just because they’re on TV. I look forward to the commentary every game, and in the past, I’ve often listened to the commentary at the game itself.

Agreed, especially as many will still only be able to listen to the game as opposed to streaming the footage. I'm sure they'll be well aware of that.

Agreed, especially as many will still only be able to listen to the game as opposed to streaming the footage. I'm sure they'll be well aware of that.
that applies to me when I happen to be away working on a matchday... it's often not feasible or viable to watch live footage, however, subscribing to the audio-only element of iplayer ( if I'm ,as I often can be outside the quite wide range of RadOx's 95.2 FM broadcast range) the BBC RadOx team keep me in touch with the mighty U's fortunes .... top quality pre-match, match commentary and post match coverage it is too IMO

I actually thought some of their comments seemed odd when actually being able to see the game, whereas, when you can only listen to it on the radio you have to take their comment as read!

e.g. in the first half they said something like, we (Oxford) needed to get hold of the ball more as Lincoln were on top, but the statistics clearly showed that we (Oxford) had had more possession and were clearly outplaying Lincoln even if we weren’t actually hurting them, but we (Oxford) were clearly on top. Their comments didn’t reflect parts of the game when watching live.

Last edited:

They actually stick to the action instead of waffling on how they were stuck in traffic etc etc ,that wouldnt work at all while people were watching the game....so YES they do commentate differently.

Back
Top Bottom