January transfer window

NottsYellow

I would hope the management are now planning ahead for January and got some realistic targets in sight and had some "quiet" negotiations with agents so by December they know who they are signing.
We really need some permanent signings to give us some continuity over the summer into next season. If not permanent, then loans that have a very good chance of signing permanently in the summer.
Priority must be 2 centre forwards, any potential target would be able to see there is a great opportunity and therefore hopefully we can attract the best from leagues below who can make the step up.
If Sam Smith has not shown any spark then it would be best for all parties, that he returned to Reading and tried another loan. I'm sure he has great potential and wouldn't want Robbo or our system to ruin that.
Hopefully we can move Obika on.
I can't see Garbutt ever adapting to League 1, and I would like us to sign 1 or 2 left backs and return Garbutt to Everton. If we get 2 left backs then with Ruffels in mid field I think we have enough numbers in midfield.
Not sure if Napa is coming back in January, he has dropped to sub at Macc. If he is not getting game time then it is best he comes back and gets his confidence back in U23s/ sub appearance here.
Then need to hope Carruthers and Holmes do not return to Sheff Utd, but I assume not. Not sure how feasible it is these two sign permanently next summer.
That then leaves Browne who I guess will stay the whole season but move on in the summer.

I think that's optimistic. Two permanent (or loan > perm) strikers of any quality in January is a big ask. At that time of the season, every team will be hanging onto their proven scorers like grim death. Of course, you can make speculative signings of youngsters, those returning from injury or not making the grade at their current clubs which may or may not pay off (we have been lucky sometimes with this approach, not so much at other times) - you risk end up having a large squad, many of whom aren't up it (c.f. Wilder after a January window!). And it would be far from cheap. You are right that Smith has shown very little as yet - let's hope he does before January. I'm not quite sure who would take Obika!

Doing any sort of business in January is tricky - few decent players available, clubs not doing well panicking and trying to sign their way out of trouble...

It’ll all depend on the league table. In the bottom four and it’ll be harder to get decent players than if we’ve climbed to lower mid table. In the current predicament almost nobody is going to be making a gentleman’s agreement to come in January. They’d have to be mad.

Top L2 strikers now cost £1million plus, so any strikers joining permanently are likely to be proper punts from other levels, be it youngsters from higher up or people from Scotland / non-league. There’s no chance of going and getting a Stockley from Exeter or similar - they’d cost too much. Then you have to consider whether a player would see any point in leaving a promotion chasing L2 side for a relegation threatened L1 side.

We know Mitchell is going back to Derby if Eastwood is over his injury, but I think there’s also a chance of Garbutt going back as well as Smith. I’d anticipate we will attempt to replace both with better but they may well be loans again. Beyond that what is realistic? Nobody will take Obika even on loan, so he’s gonna be floating between the bench and the stands until May is my guess. Maybe Bradbury will start getting opportunities which would mean him and Obika pushing for third choice while Mackie and a Smith replacement become the top two?

Personally I would like to see both Smith and Obika sent packing with two new centre forwards brought in but I’m not sure that’s really possible mid-season, and a half decent left back to replace a returning Garbutt. I think we also need a centre back because Nelson is leaving next summer at the latest, and with Dickie still being hot and cold and Mousinho moving into more of a midfield role I think we need one more there, especially with Mousinho (and even Raglan) also out of contract in the summer.

Well getting a striker is the key position without doubt.
Then I agree with the above that a left back (if Garbutt doesn't improve a lot) and CB for when Nelson moves on.

We also need to get the goalkeeper situation sorted out once and for all. If Shearer isn’t deemed good enough to cover Eastwood injuries then he has to go. I’d be more than happy to have Mitchell as cover until the end of the season, maybe even permanently.

I think that 3 are needed
1 striker
1 Centre Back
1 left back

A top striker who will bag at this level is priority, being realistic someone like Ollie Palmer from Crawley or Jayden Stockley but main Target would be Sam Surridge scored 6 goal from 580 mins this season for Oldham.

A centre back as Nelson replacement because unless we improve drastically and this isn't a one of good performance he'll move to a top League 1 side like Peterborough.

Left back self explanatory Garbutt been sub par most of the time and we're playing a midfielder there at the moment.

Last edited:
Jayden Stockley is going to cost somebody a million pounds plus, possibly closer to two million. How do people think we would afford him? Exeter sold Watkins to Brentford for nearly 2m plus add ons a year ago, and Stockley is an out and out centre forward who scores plenty of goals. That means he fills the most expensive position on the pitch.

And that’s before you even consider if it’s even seen as a step up for him, or certainly a big enough one!

Jayden Stockley is going to cost somebody a million pounds plus, possibly closer to two million. How do people think we would afford him? Exeter sold Watkins to Brentford for nearly 2m plus add ons a year ago, and Stockley is an out and out centre forward who scores plenty of goals. That means he fills the most expensive position on the pitch.

And that’s before you even consider if it’s even seen as a step up for him, or certainly a big enough one!
"If" this Inter owner does invest, I can't see why we can't. Not sure if he is but 2 million is pocket change to a billionaire. He'll be willing to invest a decent amount I suspect.

I expect us to be busy come January with 2 centre forwards being top of the list, it’s unrealistic that we’ll look to sign players like Stockley as many have said he’s a million pound player so no chances there, Send Smith back if he carries on this no show form he’s been producing, ring Swindon to see if they want Obika back otherwise just be firm & tell him he has no future here look elsewhere he’s had enough chances

goalkeeper is needed if anything happens to Eastwood again then we are back to the same situation as before unless we can keep Mitchell till the end of season but don’t see derby being happy with that (but that’s not our problem)

Left back definitely needed Garbutt been in/out & been no better than average but mainly poor so I see him going back

Centre back, I think Raglan will go in January so we need some one who good enough to fill the void when nelson leave either January or the summer

Centre midfielder Robinson said he wanted 2 in the summer & got 1 in Hanson whether Baptiste has changed his mind since by coming into the team & been outstanding

I expect us to be busy come January with 2 centre forwards being top of the list, it’s unrealistic that we’ll look to sign players like Stockley as many have said he’s a million pound player so no chances there, Send Smith back if he carries on this no show form he’s been producing, ring Swindon to see if they want Obika back otherwise just be firm & tell him he has no future here look elsewhere he’s had enough chances

goalkeeper is needed if anything happens to Eastwood again then we are back to the same situation as before unless we can keep Mitchell till the end of season but don’t see derby being happy with that (but that’s not our problem)

Left back definitely needed Garbutt been in/out & been no better than average but mainly poor so I see him going back

Centre back, I think Raglan will go in January so we need some one who good enough to fill the void when nelson leave either January or the summer

Centre midfielder Robinson said he wanted 2 in the summer & got 1 in Hanson whether Baptiste has changed his mind since by coming into the team & been outstanding

It's difficult to say as we have yet to see many of the team playing anything like they are capable of. Mackie showed yesterday that we may have a player who can play as part of a front three and get a goal or two - but we certainly need more and I'm not sure Smith will be the answer. With Samir coming back, Mous bringing stability and Baptiste having started the way he has, I wouldn't be too worried about the midfield. Garbutt hasn't set the world alight, but I wouldn't rush to replace unless we could get someone who is already established at this level with the fitness to go straight into the side. A centre back would be high on the lsit unless we can get Nelson to commit to a new deal by then, but even then we need cover and may well look towards someone like Dickie who can be cover until the end of the season with a view to establishing a place if/when Nelson disappears.

Obviously, all of this is very much dependant on our results between now and then. A few more wins and we could be looking at building for next season. Another run of defeats and we could be looking at wholesale changes again!

Agreed - Jayden Stockley is realistic and goals are definitely needed up front. Would be ideal if we could send Jon the other way as part of the deal.

Also, I've mentioned this guy before...worth a punt!

James Lawrence [25] Trencin - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Lawrence_(footballer)
2x domestic European titles, 2x domestic cups, 2x seasons of Champions League and Europa football with a pedigree at Arsenal and Ajax...and born in Oxfordshire! A left-footed, ball-playing CB who can play CM.

Agreed - Jayden Stockley is realistic and goals are definitely needed up front. Would be ideal if we could send Jon the other way as part of the deal.

James Lawrence [25] Trencin - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Lawrence_(footballer)
2x domestic European titles, 2x domestic cups, 2x seasons of Champions League and Europa football with a pedigree at Arsenal and Ajax...and born in Oxfordshire! A left-footed, ball-playing CB who can play CM.

Ah, just seen he's signed for Anderlecht!

Lawrence plays for Anderlecht, I’d be gobsmacked if we were going to attract players from that standard. He’s had an unusual career for an English player though, I’m surprised the English media haven’t picked up on it. I have to admit I’ve never heard of him until I googled after your post.

Oops I missed your last post!

Which part of the deal would Obika be, then?

Back
Top Bottom