Chairman January transfer window DIDNT lack ambition

it's not defeatist it's putting a considered balanced view on things, no point just focussing on just what we can do without looking at the bigger picture..as i've said this last month or so we have made things more difficult for ourselves and sadly we can't afford to drop many more pts and still have to hope that 2/3/4/ or even 5 slip up.

Think ahead to if you were Wycombe,Coventry,Pompey you would be very happy to take a pt against us which then makes it even harder with less games to go, so my friend it it is not just what we might get but more what we hope the others don't.

My little negative friend! You talk about putting a balanced view on things, but always put far greater emphasis on the worse case scenario, so whilst I may be optimistic there is nothing balanced about your view.

Rotherham and Coventry are averaging around 1.9 points per game and if they maintain that they'll be in the top 2.

Most of the teams around the playoff positions are averaging between 1.6 and 1.75 points per game. So if teams maintain the same kind of form they have you could expect to see the point total for 6th being around 72/73 points. This doesn't need teams to slip up, just continue as they have so far. Of course some could do better, some might do worse, only time will tell.

But the one thing we can focus on is our performance. We have 12 games to go, and many of these are very winnable.

Accrington, Southend, Shrewsbury, MK Dons should give 10-12 points.
Then Wycombe and Portsmouth. Let's say 2-4 points.
Follow this with Rochdale and Bristol Rovers where the target must be 4-6 points.
Coventry and Fleetwood are much harder and it could be a lose and a draw or maybe 2 draws. 1-2 points.
We then finish with Tranmere and Bolton and I'll take nothing less than 2 wins. 6 points.

So that is 23-30 points to play for. Giving us a total of 74-81 points. That's enough for play off places most seasons let alone a season with 2 games short.

So no guarantees, but absolutely no reason why we should throw the towel in already.

My little negative friend! You talk about putting a balanced view on things, but always put far greater emphasis on the worse case scenario, so whilst I may be optimistic there is nothing balanced about your view.

Rotherham and Coventry are averaging around 1.9 points per game and if they maintain that they'll be in the top 2.

Most of the teams around the playoff positions are averaging between 1.6 and 1.75 points per game. So if teams maintain the same kind of form they have you could expect to see the point total for 6th being around 72/73 points. This doesn't need teams to slip up, just continue as they have so far. Of course some could do better, some might do worse, only time will tell.

But the one thing we can focus on is our performance. We have 12 games to go, and many of these are very winnable.

Follow this with Rochdale and Bristol Rovers where the target must be 4-6 points.
Coventry and Fleetwood are much harder and it could be a lose and a draw or maybe 2 draws. 1-2 points.
We then finish with Tranmere and Bolton and I'll take nothing less than 2 wins. 6 points.

So that is 23-30 points to play for. Giving us a total of 74-81 points. That's enough for play off places most seasons let alone a season with 2 games short.

So no guarantees, but absolutely no reason why we should throw the towel in already.

I see Cov play Rotherham, Sunderland v Fleetwood on Tuesday the Sunday is cov v Sunderland! Lots of teams taking points of each other so we need to capitalise on our so called easier games.

I see Cov play Rotherham, Sunderland v Fleetwood on Tuesday the Sunday is cov v Sunderland! Lots of teams taking points of each other so we need to capitalise on our so called easier games.

Exactly. Then into early March you've got Ipswich v Fleetwood, Ipswich v Cov, Peterborough v Pompey and Pompey v Fleetwood.

And none of these teams will want to be facing us either.

how is it the worst case scenario? you said we need 21 pts i've pointed out that others need between 12-17 that is fact and could be stated is the best case scenario for us...Nothing wrong with being optimistic but if you're going to say we only need 21 pts as though that should be enough then it's sensible to consider what the others need also.

At least with your predictions you've realized how hard we've made it for ourselves and you have us needing to go unbeaten for the rest of the season which you've had to do to make your point.

how is it the worst case scenario? you said we need 21 pts i've pointed out that others need between 12-17 that is fact and could be stated is the best case scenario for us...Nothing wrong with being optimistic but if you're going to say we only need 21 pts as though that should be enough then it's sensible to consider what the others need also.

At least with your predictions you've realized how hard we've made it for ourselves and you have us needing to go unbeaten for the rest of the season which you've had to do to make your point.

I have said a minimum of 21 points, something I think that we will exceed.

We only need to score one more goal than the team finishing 7th, so saying that other teams may get more points than us is slightly irrelevant.

For what it's worth, I think that we'll finish 5th.

Coventry
Rotherham
Sunderland
Peterborough
Oxford
Wycombe or Portsmouth

So not blinding optimism but a realistic prediction based on what I've seen so far and what I expect in the coming weeks. Who do you think will be in the top 6?

We only need to score one more goal than the team finishing 7th, so saying that other teams may get more points than us is slightly irrelevant.

Coventry
Rotherham
Sunderland
Peterborough
Oxford
Wycombe or Portsmouth

So not blinding optimism but a realistic prediction based on what I've seen so far and what I expect in the coming weeks. Who do you think will be in the top 6?

I reckon the league table will finish.

Rotherham
Sunderland
Coventry
Peterborough
Portsmouth
Oxford

But it all depends if a team has a blip in form like us, Peterborough, Ipswich have already had. 9 points from the top currently and we still have to play Coventry, Portsmouth, Fleetwood and Wycombe. We just need to make sure we capatalise when the teams above are playing each other and who knows where we could end up.

Coventry
Rotherham
Sunderland
Peterborough
Oxford
Wycombe or Portsmouth

ah well here goes, i did tip us for 4th at the start of the season and having gone through all remaining fixtures here's my final table with pts

Rotherham 85
Coventry 85
Posh 81
Pompey 81
wycombe 79
Sunderland 78
Ipswich 72
Oxford 70

I reckon the league table will finish.

Rotherham
Sunderland
Coventry
Peterborough
Portsmouth
Oxford

But it all depends if a team has a blip in form like us, Peterborough, Ipswich have already had. 9 points from the top currently and we still have to play Coventry, Portsmouth, Fleetwood and Wycombe. We just need to make sure we capatalise when the teams above are playing each other and who knows where we could end up.

I'd be amazed if Sunderland finish higher than Coventry, but I guess anything is possible with all clubs having a dodgy spell or 2. Interesting that we both think Wycombe will crash and burn, but they have recovered better than I expected after their Christmas blip! Maybe we'll beat them away with traditional crossbar celebrations to mirror our '96 success and leave them out of the top 6.

ah well here goes, i did tip us for 4th at the start of the season and having gone through all remaining fixtures here's my final table with pts

Rotherham 85
Coventry 85
Posh 81
Pompey 81
wycombe 79
Sunderland 78
Ipswich 72
Oxford 70

Peterborough 26 points out of 33, with Portsmouth, Sunderland and Coventry to play? Fair play, they'll deserve to go up if they get that!

Rotherham 85
Coventry 85
Posh 81
Pompey 81
wycombe 79
Sunderland 78
Ipswich 72
Oxford 70

Also Portsmouth to get 28 points from 13 games with us, Peterborough, Fleetwood and Ipswich, and the FA cup and EFL trophy games is a big ask.

it follows that with 12 games or so that those up there will face one another, we have pompey wycombe coventry fleetwood
As i said earlier though Pompey..Coventry...Wycombe would be more than happy to take a point from us and leave us with a mountain to climb, let's also not forget teams will drop pts where least expected as that's football but sadly the pressure is now on us that we cannot afford to drop many pts.

I'd be amazed if Sunderland finish higher than Coventry, but I guess anything is possible with all clubs having a dodgy spell or 2. Interesting that we both think Wycombe will crash and burn, but they have recovered better than I expected after their Christmas blip! Maybe we'll beat them away with traditional crossbar celebrations to mirror our '96 success and leave them out of the top 6.

I think Wycombe's remaining fixtures are slightly harder than ares. I reckon they will finish 7th. I reckon it will go down to the wire though and aslong as we are still in the mix for the final game against Bolton at home we have a chance. Rotherham v Sunderland could be the decider for the title or who gets in the automatics.

Rotherham 85
Coventry 85
Posh 81
Pompey 81
wycombe 79
Sunderland 78
Ipswich 72
Oxford 70
Can't see Posh or Wycombe ending up with more than 72-75.

posh home games...pompey..br rovers..blackpool..mkdons..shrewsbury..Tranmere

away burton bolton coventry sunderland rochdale

Back
Top Bottom