Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

I think his character and enthusiasm around the dressing room / training ground probably was more important than his on pitch contribution tbh

From a technical standpoint point, Mackie was garbage. Awful touch, no control, rarely scored, charged down ‘keepers like a loon to get applause but it left us with nine outfielders against ten, could run all day but was no longer fast …

… But as a focal point for all the non-football related stuff, he was fantastic. Niggling opposition when the ball was out of play, being the first to the ref to argue a case, geeing subs up when he was on the bench, constantly pushing and prodding defenders before going off for them to face the fresh legs of a winger or coming on himself to keep the opposition moving.

Mackie was a genius of the game if the ball was nowhere near him. Where can we find a character like him with a bit of technical ability too?

From a technical standpoint point, Mackie was garbage. Awful touch, no control, rarely scored, charged down ‘keepers like a loon to get applause but it left us with nine outfielders against ten, could run all day but was no longer fast …

… But as a focal point for all the non-football related stuff, he was fantastic. Niggling opposition when the ball was out of play, being the first to the ref to argue a case, geeing subs up when he was on the bench, constantly pushing and prodding defenders before going off for them to face the fresh legs of a winger or coming on himself to keep the opposition moving.

Mackie was a genius of the game if the ball was nowhere near him. Where can we find a character like him with a bit of technical ability too?
Spot on, a player like that can really energise a dressing room, not sure

Can I just pick you up on your ' this forum loved Mackie ' couldn't be further from the truth there .I and many others hated him.
On field yes. Especially, when being left up by himself. As a sub, looked like he just played 25 minutes in the 'Masters League'
But off the field. You can not knock, his tik-tok

Wasn't a fan of Mackie to be honest, scored 7 league goals in 2 full seasons which just isn't enough for a striker. If I was a decent div 1 centre half, he would have been meat and drink as he never posed a threat. You have to do more than just run around chirping for me.

BBC transfer gossip reporting "One Premier League side and a number of Championship clubs are interested in 24-year-old English striker Kabongo Tshimanga, who has scored 21 goals in 22 appearances for National League side Chesterfield this season."
Might have missed a trick there.....

I always thought the whole "wearing defenders down for the subs" thing was massively overhyped. The reason the subs looked decent is because they were much better players, it's no coincidence that we always played better when he wasn't on the pitch, he also kept Matty Taylor out the team a lot that season despite him being clearly better st everything than Mackie, as well as being able to score goals (13 for Taylor, a massive 2 for Mackie).

Yes I'm sure he was good around the dressing room and in training, the downside was that he was slow, couldn't finish, couldn't control a ball, couldn't win a header and when we were under the cosh he made bad runs meaning we didn't have an outball because he didnt have the legs or gave away a free kick giving the opposition the chance to put the pressure back on again. Like you say though, the fans used to love him chasing down a keeper he never had a chance of getting to meaning he was offside for 10 seconds or so if we won the header and launched it back.

As good as he probably was in the dressing room, Christ I was glad when he retired and was no longer an option.

Reading about the Jermaine Defoe rumours reminds me of a joke I heard a few years ago..

Jermaine Defoe walks into a bar, goes up to a woman and says ‘You’re pulled’..

Woman replies ‘Youre a little forward aren’t you!’

😁

BBC transfer gossip reporting "One Premier League side and a number of Championship clubs are interested in 24-year-old English striker Kabongo Tshimanga, who has scored 21 goals in 22 appearances for National League side Chesterfield this season."
Might have missed a trick there.....
The chances of making that step up are so minimal. Good luck to him if he makes a move but I think it was the right decision not to sign him when he was at Oxford City.

The chances of making that step up are so minimal. Good luck to him if he makes a move but I think it was the right decision not to sign him when he was at Oxford City.
If there is a player who can play at that level, on our doorstep, that we don't sign then it can't have been the correct decision, especially as Matty T aside we haven't had a great strikers signing record tbh

I’m not even sure Long’s performances over the last 6 weeks even warrant a starting spot, never mind being captain.

Take the romance out of it and I’d say he’s been bang average.
Totally agree, been saying this for 3 months and been massively slated online for it. He’s been awful & lost a yard of pace since his injury, imo it’s one of the positions we should be targeting this month. He wouldn’t be good enough for the championship where we are ultimately aiming to be

I always thought the whole "wearing defenders down for the subs" thing was massively overhyped. The reason the subs looked decent is because they were much better players, it's no coincidence that we always played better when he wasn't on the pitch, he also kept Matty Taylor out the team a lot that season despite him being clearly better st everything than Mackie, as well as being able to score goals (13 for Taylor, a massive 2 for Mackie).

Yes I'm sure he was good around the dressing room and in training, the downside was that he was slow, couldn't finish, couldn't control a ball, couldn't win a header and when we were under the cosh he made bad runs meaning we didn't have an outball because he didnt have the legs or gave away a free kick giving the opposition the chance to put the pressure back on again. Like you say though, the fans used to love him chasing down a keeper he never had a chance of getting to meaning he was offside for 10 seconds or so if we won the header and launched it back.

As good as he probably was in the dressing room, Christ I was glad when he retired and was no longer an option.
Or, my own particular favourite, pulling his marker's shirt, and then falling over and pretending he'd been fouled. Giving away a free kick and then arguing about it for thirty seconds. I'm sure he was very bouncy in the dressing room, but on the pitch he was a waste of time. My heart sank every time he trundled on.

Lot of itchy feet on this forum. Still nearly 2 weeks to go. Can we at least wait till we’re inside the last 7 days before we even start to consider moaning about our activity this window?
Let’s face it, that’s when we are going to do our business. Don’t think we will see anything before Saturday now.

Back
Top Bottom