Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

Wasn't a fee agreed for Browne last time too, and then he chose to join Boro instead? I think he was even pictured in our stands at a game. I wouldn't get excited just yet...

Unless UTO or EC tell us to!

A fee was agreed for Browne and he was at the pre-season game against Leeds, however Middlesbrough offered significantly better wages and the chance to play in a league higher. I don't think anyone can blame him for taking the best deal even if it hasn't worked out for him.

A fee was agreed for Browne and he was at the pre-season game against Leeds, however Middlesbrough offered significantly better wages and the chance to play in a league higher. I don't think anyone can blame him for taking the best deal even if it hasn't worked out for him.

They offered nearly double I remember KR saying after we beat Leeds 4/3 I think.

You mentioned the other day when i suggested offering Cam the difference in wages from Blackpool that this would/could lead to disruption among other players all wanting a bigger slice of the wages cake.
Surely if we sign Browne that puts us in the same situation?

just to be clear not having a dig but logic says we cannot compete with Sheffield unless we risk the togetherness we've built.

You mentioned the other day when i suggested offering Cam the difference in wages from Blackpool that this would/could lead to disruption among other players all wanting a bigger slice of the wages cake.
Surely if we sign Browne that puts us in the same situation?

just to be clear not having a dig but logic says we cannot compete with Sheffield unless we risk the togetherness we've built.
It’s not impossible that Boro would supplement his wages for a short time to get him off the books. Either way I think it’s safe to say he would be one of the top earners at the club. I suspect if we got him there would be a considerable rise built in on promotion also. But I don’t see us tearing down the wage structure for anyone for the reasons you mention. So this may come down to what ambitions the player has - has he made enough money now to focus on getting the best out of his career?

Yeah why bring in good players, when you could bring in any players now?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: So brains thinks players being bought now by other clubs are no good....Fantastic insight you must have into the comings and goings at other clubs, also love the theory that good players can only be bought towards the end of the window.

I'm honestly not sure Browne is what we need. Class player, but we desperately need a plan B striker and a centre mid.

Think we desperately need another plan A striker first, anything happens to Taylor and that plan B striker is
going to force us to change our style of play and mid season that could get messy.

If there is any chance of getting Browne in we have to go for it, the guy is a gamechanger.

I'm honestly not sure Browne is what we need. Class player, but we desperately need a plan B striker and a centre mid.
If it’s a perm deal on a long term deal then it’s fantastic for oufc. If it’s a loan you’d hope its the first of a few signings.

He’s also injury prone, getting over an injury and didn’t quite set the Championship alight, plus I don’t overly rate him (play off final), so I’d want better, but with these attributes I can see Karl going for him.

He’s also injury prone, getting over an injury and didn’t quite set the Championship alight, plus I don’t overly rate him (play off final), so I’d want better, but with these attributes I can see Karl going for him.

One serious injury and a player suddenly becomes injury prone? He didn’t set the championship alight because, well, he got injured? Marcus Browne is an absolute animal at our level. He’s scored 98% of his professional goals at OUFC. He’s a known quantity at the club, and I’m really struggling to see how we could sign a player that’s any better, without blowing our wage structure to pieces? If we got Browne on a permanent, that is amazing business.

He can play CAM, RW/LW and even as a ST. For me, it’s an absolute no brainer!

I can’t believe that anyone would question re-signing Browne. The quality he has on the ball, the defenders he occupies. He wouldn’t just improve us individually, the direct way he plays and the gaps that creates would be huge for Whyte, Taylor etc

You'd assume any contract offered to Browne will include a release clause as KR alluded to a number of our players having this week.

The idea that he'd be a long-term signing is a non starter. A flying start to this spell (if he signed) and he'd potentially be gone in the next window or 2 like Fosu.

In terms of his Boro appearances, made 13 league appearances without scoring after first joining, missed a month with an injury then was sent on loan to us after getting a red card on his return.
Then last season he made 5 spread out league appearances due to missing a month with an injury, scoring twice before doing his ACL in the FA Cup in January 2021.

The ACL is the second time in his career that he has missed almost a year due to injury. Had knee issues during/following his loan spell with Wigan which meant he then didn't play a competitive game in the 17/18 season.

Last edited:
One serious injury and a player suddenly becomes injury prone? He didn’t set the championship alight because, well, he got injured? Marcus Browne is an absolute animal at our level. He’s scored 98% of his professional goals at OUFC. He’s a known quantity at the club, and I’m really struggling to see how we could sign a player that’s any better, without blowing our wage structure to pieces? If we got Browne on a permanent, that is amazing business.

He can play CAM, RW/LW and even as a ST. For me, it’s an absolute no brainer!

Yep. He has tremendous power too - really value his strength on and off the ball.

Always struggled with the assertion that a player who has had a long term injury of this type is njury prone.

The likes of Sam Winnall and in the past John Paul Pittman are injury prone as he has loads of short term injuries but calling Browne injury prone would he the same as calling Alex Gorrin injury prone as he also has had a long term injury

I have not seen anyone call Gorrin injury prone and therefore cannot see that applies to Browne

Last edited:
The idea that he'd be a long-term signing is a non starter. A flying start to this spell (if he signed) and he'd potentially be gone in the next window or 2 like Fosu.

Possibly may only be a short tenure with us at least until next January as a minimum but in that time he could help us to promotion which may entice him to stay longer than just a minimum of next January, also if he does go he could make us a decent wedge which surly has to be a plus.

I’d feel confident going in to any game with Browne up front so I’d argue that’s not a bad plan B. He’s not Taylor but equally, Taylor is not Browne. They both offer something the other can not so it’s exactly what we need isn’t it?

Back
Top Bottom