Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

Nice touch from the Ipswich fans in that article, just shows some times you don’t realise how lucky you are.
Yes and interesting about not wanting to take the last minute penalties - I don't know how people have the nerve to stay calm to do that. Those poor boys in the Euro finals!

• React
Reactions: MJB
Jordan Shipley could be a potential Brannagan replacement if required. Coventry fans say he would be an excellent signing for League One, not quite Championship quality though. Attacking midfielder, best played just behind the striker(s). Then again, Robbo loves midfielders...

What about Defoe for the rest of the season could be backup for Taylor and bring experience. I am only half serious

Peter O’Rourke reporting Huddersfield and a number of other clubs in for Sykes this month.

Not one that I’ve heard before.
That would be a blow. I really like him but he seems to be absolutely at the right level with us, a good league one club. He's a bit unreliable and liable to lose his head, I'm not sure he'd do well at a higher level yet.

Could definitely see Sykes going, already seen his *ambition* changing to ROI from NI. Don't think he'd impress much at Championship level but wouldn't be bad back up - doubt he'd cost too much either with 6months left.

With the game against Wycombe looming, a game where we desperately want to get one over on them after the Wembley debacle, it would’ve been nice to have got a player or two in this week to boost the squad after a couple of ropy results and cover for CB, if he’s out injured, and Kane. Starting to look like it isn’t going to happen though, I suppose KR did say new signings would be a slow process. Hopefully we’ll still have enough in the squad to get a good result.

Interesting game of cat and mouse to come.

Huddersfield (or anyone else) won't offer the "going rate" for a player in his current form, as they know they can sign him on a free in the summer. But we could end up accepting a better bid from another club now and then all the other interested clubs lose out by not showing their money enough now.

That being said, given his current form, he is worth way more to us than anyone will pay, so is it worth us taking the risk that he doesn't sign a new contact any time soon, keep him around, and hope we get promoted and then he might sign one in the summer.

The risk being, we don't get promoted and he walks out the door on a free transfer.

Kane can't play until after the window shuts because of his suspension. The Brannagan noise won't go away until the window shuts/deal is done, though we haven't heard the results of his scan yet, and Gorrin remains out for the season.
If we do sell Sykes, I can't see it being until the final day.

Last edited:
Would we be compensated for Sykes' development should he leave on a free in the summer?

Interesting game of cat and mouse to come.

Huddersfield (or anyone else) won't offer the "going rate" for a player in his current form, as they know they can sign him on a free in the summer. But we could end up accepting a better bid from another club now and then all the other interested clubs lose out by not showing their money enough now.

That being said, given his current form, he is worth way more to us than anyone will pay, so is it worth us taking the risk that he doesn't sign a new contact any time soon, keep him around, and hope we get promoted and then he might sign one in the summer.

The risk being, we don't get promoted and he walks out the door on a free transfer.

Kane can't play until after the window shuts because of his suspension. The Brannagan noise won't go away until the window shuts/deal is done, though we haven't heard the results of his scan yet, and Gorrin remains out for the season.
If we do sell Sykes, I can't see it being until the final day.
Is it a big risk if he walks out for free? I can't see him as a million pound player. We could replace him with a free transfer in the summer.

Is it a big risk if he walks out for free? I can't see him as a million pound player. We could replace him with a free transfer in the summer.

If this was 6 months, ago I'd have said there is no risk. But he's turned himself into a goalscoring midfielder (granted in the last 6 games or so).
8 league goals so far, having scored 1 plus the playoff goal in his previous 2.5 seasons with us.

It's either one of these sudden one-off spikes that a player has in their career, or a turning point of him showing more consistency having knuckled down, trained harder etc.

I'm not sure how easy it is to find a midfielder who has scored that many the season prior on a free transfer (especially one who is needing to be Championship level if we were to go up). From that point of view, I'd be tempted to take a fee now and spend it this window on a direct replacement - we normally have 2/3 players on a list as succession for each position.

Last edited:
Why oh why do the club leave it so late to get players contracts sorted, meaning we now have 3 players, who kr hinted at weren't focused enough last Saturday, possibly eyeing up moves, alongside the Brannegan situation. As other clubs bring in players, to better their squads for the final push, internal politics means we not only look like we could lose key players, we haven't made any of the 2/3 additions we need to keep up with the leading pack. kr airing his washing the clubs laundry in his post match interview, highlighted things that yet again should have remained in the dressing room. All he has done is to possibly alienate those 3 players, in the way he spoke about them. We need to be adding to this squad not depleting it, highlighting problems internally to the outside world.

He's turned himself into a goalscoring midfielder (granted in the last 6 games or so).
8 league goals so far, having scored 1 plus the playoff goal in his previous 2.5 seasons with us.

It's either one of these sudden one-off spikes that a player has in their career, or a turning point of him showing more consistency having knuckled down, trained harder etc.

I'm not sure how easy it is to find a midfielder who has scored that many the season prior on a free transfer (especially one who is needing to be Championship level if we were to go up). From that point of view, I'd be tempted to take a fee now and spend it this window on a direct replacement - we normally have 2/3 players on a list as succession for each position.

If a decent bid comes in for sykes we will accept surely. I'm sure the club know wether he is going to sign a new contract but obviously will keep that out of the public eye

Back
Top Bottom