Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

While Sykes has added feistiness and goals to his game I'm unconvinced he could make a real mark in the championship. Right now, he's about at his level but has the potential to go higher and he's still young enough.

Get 300k for Sykes and sign Browne on loan and I won't be overly disappointed. In these situations it comes down to the player, if he wants to leave we are left with little choice.

The only thing to weigh up is accept 200-300k now and reinvest, or keep Sykes for the run in and let him leave for free in the summer, that's probably negotiable with the player.

I wouldn't entertain selling Sykes at this point, even if he did go somewhere else for nothing in the summer. We have a chance at promotion, which will be increased by having him in the side. Try to get him to sign a contract now, but don't sell for a couple of hundred thousand, it could cost us a few million and an end-of-season party.
I am worried what if Sykes and Cam go with no noise from the ITK’s about potential incomings, what that might do for the remainder of our season.

While Sykes has added feistiness and goals to his game I'm unconvinced he could make a real mark in the championship. Right now, he's about at his level but has the potential to go higher and he's still young enough.
He stays with us and we go up he will improve big time but to jump to a championship club and to try and adapt to champ football and players can take time.

We still get a group of fans come down from Stanley to support him .
He seems so much more relaxed without that pressure and still scoring goals for fun and bringing players on around him .
We are sitting behind banbury United in the league pushing for the national league.

I'd be sticking a contract in front of Sykes similar to the one we gave Cam. A 2.5 year contract with a release clause that activates in the summer if we don't get promoted. Lets him know we value him and want him to fight for promotion with us, but also assures him if Championship clubs come calling in the summer he can go.

If he continues this form for the rest of the season, gets around 20 goal contributions, and we have him on a good contract his value is probably around 750k? A contract with a release clause of 500-750k if we don't go up protects us from losing a good fee and protects him from being stuck in L1 if we fail to go up this year. Everyone wins - except clubs trying to snag him on the cheap in January but who cares about them.

I'd be sticking a contract in front of Sykes similar to the one we gave Cam. A 2.5 year contract with a release clause that activates in the summer if we don't get promoted. Lets him know we value him and want him to fight for promotion with us, but also assures him if Championship clubs come calling in the summer he can go.

If he continues this form for the rest of the season, gets around 20 goal contributions, and we have him on a good contract his value is probably around 750k? A contract with a release clause of 500-750k if we don't go up protects us from losing a good fee and protects him from being stuck in L1 if we fail to go up this year. Everyone wins - except clubs trying to snag him on the cheap in January but who cares about them.
What’s the incentive to the player to give up bigger wages and / or a massive signing on fee? No money being due to a parent club means more money in his own pocket, like when Nelson left for Cardiff. If nobody needs to pay half a million or more to Oxford United then he can ask for a chunk of that straight in his own pocket, or an extra grand or two a week on his salary. Or maybe even both.

We’ve been lucky that some players (Dickie and Brannagan in particular) have been up for protecting the club by signing new deals in recent seasons, but it’s 50/50 as to whether Sykes is as bothered about that. Most players probably wouldn’t be.

We’ve been lucky that some players (Dickie and Brannagan in particular) have been up for protecting the club by signing new deals in recent seasons, but it’s 50/50 as to whether Sykes is as bothered about that.

Particularly given that he has been publicly chewed out on a few occasions during his time here.

What’s the incentive to the player to give up bigger wages and / or a massive signing on fee? No money being due to a parent club means more money in his own pocket, like when Nelson left for Cardiff. If nobody needs to pay half a million or more to Oxford United then he can ask for a chunk of that straight in his own pocket, or an extra grand or two a week on his salary. Or maybe even both.

We’ve been lucky that some players (Dickie and Brannagan in particular) have been up for protecting the club by signing new deals in recent seasons, but it’s 50/50 as to whether Sykes is as bothered about that. Most players probably wouldn’t be.
Quite possibly/probably not but we should still offer him the contract. Up to him if he signs it. If he doesn't well then thanks for the 11 goals in three years, onto the next young prospect. Just because he might not sign doesn't mean we should just give up and let him go. At this point he's got half a season performing well in League 1, make that a full season with 20 goal contributions and he might find the contracts being offered are better because he's proven he can keep it up a full season and it's not just a purple patch. I'm well aware he holds all the power, but as you said, Dickie and Brannagan have signed contracts in the past, and he's not going to go straight into the first 11 at Huddersfield like he is here, so it's not out of the question by any means.

Whatever, he is a far better player this season than he has been in previous years , and I assume that a lot of this can be put down to the coaching / management of him ( as well of course to his own efforts)

Absolutely. But it still might sting slightly and he strikes me as an ambitious individual.
giphy.gif

Get 300k for Sykes and sign Browne on loan and I won't be overly disappointed. In these situations it comes down to the player, if he wants to leave we are left with little choice.

The only thing to weigh up is accept 200-300k now and reinvest, or keep Sykes for the run in and let him leave for free in the summer, that's probably negotiable with the player.
200k for the man scoring the bulk of our goals currently and replace with a man who hasn't played for a year?

Not sure that does our promotion chances much good!

200k for the man scoring the bulk of our goals currently and replace with a man who hasn't played for a year?

Not sure that does our promotion chances much good!
OK what would you do then? Given that you can't totally dictate what movements players make. Sykes strikes me as quite headstrong and likely not to perform well if he perceives he's being held back or treated unjustly.

Back
Top Bottom