Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

Jordan Ibe is a free agent, recently left Derby County by mutual consent. Sadly he has cited depression which is probably the reason he's taken a break from the game, but a move to Oxford could reignite his career as it has done with so many young talents over the last few years.

Still relatively young at 26, I'd back KR to bring the best out of him. At this level that could be a scary prospect, but he'd have to accept a significantly lower wage than his previous few contracts - not unreasonable given his lack of activity.
1 appearance of 3 minutes since September 2019, mainly due to injury and the reasons you alluded to in your post.

I would be very surprised if since officially leaving Derby in June (realistically it was long before this), he has done much to keep his fitness up as he has his own personal life to sort out and get himself well again as a priority. He struggled to get match fit at Derby, so being away from a club for another 6 months plus will not have helped.

We need players who are ready to come in and make an impact straight away or at at the very least be ready for a place in the matchday squad.

Yes it’s just a case of whether we want to or believe we should. Obviously I would say that…
Much has been said already so I don’t want to reopen a can of worms here but my gut feeling is that if you could, you would have. CB appears to be Blackpool’s number one target the last 2 windows and he’s currently available well below his market value. That opportunity does not present itself often in football which is why I believe if Blackpool had the means to do this deal, they would have. This isn’t our first rodeo selling a key player to a ‘bigger club’ and the approach from Blackpool so far has been far from impressive. It may get done in the end but there’s a good pro at the centre of this and he deserves better than this hokey cokey rubbish over a few quid that is apparently there… it’s fairly obvious who wants him more at this point.

Jordan Ibe is a free agent, recently left Derby County by mutual consent. Sadly he has cited depression which is probably the reason he's taken a break from the game, but a move to Oxford could reignite his career as it has done with so many young talents over the last few years.

Still relatively young at 26, I'd back KR to bring the best out of him. At this level that could be a scary prospect, but he'd have to accept a significantly lower wage than his previous few contracts - not unreasonable given his lack of activity.
Is Karl Robinson a big mental health advocate? And his mrs being trained in that field? Strangely for those reasons not a bad shout

Is Karl Robinson a big mental health advocate? And his mrs being trained in that field? Strangely for those reasons not a bad shout

I cant think of too many of these sort of signings that work out. Bit like jermaine Pennant, ravel Morrison etc. Once the rot sets in they’re generally finished and just float around the lower leagues playing 10 games here and 10 games there.

I'm sure dick was talking about when players lose ' it ' whatever the reason they never generally get it back and wasn't commenting on mental health in particular but any loss of confidence/ form / fitness etc

Yes, indeed. I didn’t think anyone could have interpreted my comment any differently. The mental health aspect didn’t even enter my thinking but we live in a world nowadays where everyone is trying to trip everyone else up for any sort of politically incorrect comment. I’m 57 and from an era where the word ‘woke’ was yet to be invented.

Yes, indeed. I didn’t think anyone could have interpreted my comment any differently. The mental health aspect didn’t even enter my thinking but we live in a world nowadays where everyone is trying to trip everyone else up for any sort of politically incorrect comment. I’m 57 and from an era where the word ‘woke’ was yet to be invented.
I believe that you didn’t mean anything by your comment. But being considerate of mental health is nothing to do with being ‘woke’, whatever that is.

Fair enough then - my apologies for misinterpreting it. This is a genuine apology not a PM under pressure one.

Forss has played a bit for them, can't see us going for him at the moment. Karls been on the radio talking about staying low key this window so anything more than maybe Browne is a nice surprise!
If that equates to nit getting the
Mr Kip has a point. I’d rather see players come in earlier, and settle in, and get used to playing with different players. Building chemistry, and understandings.

We run the risk of waiting too long, and then have to gel at the beginning of February, when we should be well on the way to winning games, and pushing on. We might still do that, but I’d rather see us be more proactive, and be on the front foot.
Spot on, especially if we want to remain play off contenders, after the last two performances. The board know what is needed, but will it happen?

I'm sure dick was talking about when players lose ' it ' whatever the reason they never generally get it back and wasn't commenting on mental health in particular but any loss of confidence/ form / fitness etc

Apologies if that's the case, but comparisons other than Ravel Morrison who bounced around teams purely because of an attitude problem and Jermaine Pennant who famously played with a tag may have been better under the circumstances of the situation. 17, 57 or 77, there should be more consideration of mental health (especially men's mental health) and that doesn't come down to being 'woke' - more being a decent human being.

At the risk of tripping anyone else up - Ibe would be a fantastic signing at L1 level.

I cant think of too many of these sort of signings that work out. Bit like jermaine Pennant, ravel Morrison etc. Once the rot sets in they’re generally finished and just float around the lower leagues playing 10 games here and 10 games there.
It’s a tough one. Football managers can tend to be very hard on there players and may lack understanding if someone is going through a tough time mentally. Where Karl Robinson is the type to listen to you for a couple hours and also make you feel like you can enjoy your football rather than hate it. Similar to being depressed and going to work and a manager always on at you rightly or wrongly makes you hate the job where some people go to work to have a escape from everyday life. Probably because some people are not as hard. It’s hard to comment everyone is different. Just trying to think what I would like and dislike in his situation but not Everyman has the same problems as the next I guess

The thing is its a very , very hard environment. Seeing most if not all of your mates get turned away released from the club , being under extreme pressure to ' perform ' every week where every error is highlighted by thousands , having to move around the country every couple of years upping sticks and relocating, never knowing how long you will be flavour of the month or if another Manager sees things differently.
Making it , and being , a professional footballer is mentally tough and at such formative years bloody amazed there are not more issues .
Playing the game for your profession is massively different to lots of our ideas of what it must be like , not playing for fun .

The thing is its a very , very hard environment. Seeing most if not all of your mates get turned away released from the club , being under extreme pressure to ' perform ' every week where every error is highlighted by thousands , having to move around the country every couple of years upping sticks and relocating, never knowing how long you will be flavour of the month or if another Manager sees things differently.
Making it , and being , a professional footballer is mentally tough and at such formative years bloody amazed there are not more issues .
Playing the game for your profession is massively different to lots of our ideas of what it must be like , not playing for fun .
Well put. You have reminded me about Billy Kee, who quit the game to work as a brickie...

K look
Yes one of my wife’s colleagues ex pro who played for Crewe in championship he said exactly this - pressure to perform was too much so despite financial rewards he gave it up in his late twenties to become a teacher. Now he has the pressure without the financial rewards!!!

Back
Top Bottom