Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

Let's face it, none of us really have the full and probably very complex picture/s in this situation. I trust in the fact that KR and the board have a single objective for the club. As much as speculation is fun, that's all it is. I am inclined to make judgements after the fact, not before.

You'd have hoped so. But, whoever did the negotiations might've got excited an over promised Defoe's agent to try and secure the deal and the boss went:

Again though that cannot happen, you cannot over promise when it's clear you cannot deliver..would make you and the people you represent look foolish and very unprofessional

Does seem an odd one though, the negotiator (our end) knows what we can afford so how can a deal be done or taken to the cheque writer when it's obvious that the expected wage is above our ceiling?....Beyond that did anybody even consider what the likely expected package would cost to get such a player, at face value it does read as very unprofessional.

I think you're reading too much into it. The situation likely went;

Defoe - I like your vision for the club and I'm happy to sign but we're a bit short on the wages
Karl - I can go to £5k but will have to go to the board for more. What's your red line?
Defoe - £6k and I'll sign now
Karl - I'll ask
Board - We've still got a week, let's see if we can get a defender, winger etc in first, and see what our budget looks like then.

This is the sort of thing that happens hundreds of times in every transfer window. Frustrating for all involved (including us) but not unusual and certainly not unprofessional.

Again though that cannot happen, you cannot over promise when it's clear you cannot deliver..would make you and the people you represent look foolish and very unprofessional
It can happen. I've worked with sales people before who've promised the world to secure a deal. I agree, though, it does make you look stupid if you can't back up what you offer.

A deal can be agreed in principle before being ratified by the board. It's not unusual for deals to be held up at this stage, but there's lots of positives to take from this. Firstly, a player of Defoes stature was happy to join us despite interest from several other clubs, including Sunderland. Secondly, we're looking top end budgets and if we were close with Defoe we'll certainly be in the running with Stockton and others. And finally, it's not a bad thing that we have people at the top being careful with what we spend. We can go big, but only if it makes business sense.
How are we looking at top end budgets when the chairman vetoed the spend?

It sounds a bit of a balls up to me.

Surely Stockton would want or be able to get more than £6K per week elsewhere? He’s 27, this could be his last big move. Wouldn’t blame him on taking his chance in the Championship.
I think any player his age would snap up an offer from a Championship club if it comes in. If it doesn't, he might be interested in what we've done to get others up the ladder (although he is already 27)...

Surely Stockton would want or be able to get more than £6K per week elsewhere? He’s 27, this could be his last big move. Wouldn’t blame him on taking his chance in the Championship.

Doubt he getting more then 2.5k at Morecambe. Since when does that make him a player capable of jumping to the Championship and demanding over 6k wage a week? Clubs being interested doesn't mean anything unless they back that up with offers.

Defoe - I like your vision for the club and I'm happy to sign but we're a bit short on the wages
Karl - I can go to £5k but will have to go to the board for more. What's your red line?
Karl - I'll ask
Board - We've still got a week, let's see if we can get a defender, winger etc in first, and see what our budget looks like then.

This is the sort of thing that happens hundreds of times in every transfer window. Frustrating for all involved (including us) but not unusual and certainly not unprofessional.
Thats precisely how I see it. Things may have changed elsewhere or the board may have had 2nd thoughts about transfer fees offered for other targets thus making defoe not the number 1 target anymore. Dont see the 6k being an issue. An 18 month contract would defo be a different debate in a 40 year old. We would be paying defoe over the summer then too

Please don't sign Defoe we want a young 22/23 year old with potential future sell on etc it would be series money thrown away at that age . Iam sure players are coming in

Karl - I'll ask

surely

Agent- I can get you defoe

Our Rep- what sort of package are we talking

Agent- £6k + a b c (things like goals promotion etc etc )

our rep- I can go to £5k

Agent- rings a n other club Oxford are offering x....says sorry to our rep but x will pay £6k + Bonuses.

for me the Agent knows the likes of Sunderland are interested and is ringing around before our rep can blink.

like i said "at face value" it looks unprofessional and given how hard we work on our reputation a surprise

might just be me

Back
Top Bottom