Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

Eh? Not sure I follow you. Giggs was born in Wales and only ever wanted to play for Wales (he played for England Schoolboys because he went to school in England). Cascarino was born and brought up in Kent, and played for ROI because he believed he had an Irish Granny (he didn't, as it turned out!). Giggs would have played 100+ times for England, Cascarino probably never. My point is that Sykes can absolutely choose to play for who he likes, but whereas he would have got 30-40 caps for NI, he's pretty unlikely to even get in an ROI squad. He declared for ROI after (apparently) he was sounded out by them. But the word on the street in Belfast is that his agent was stirring, as ROI never picked him, despiet the alleged 'interest'. He played all the NI age groups, and they were furious at losing him. No indication at all he was planning to switch.
Well - Sykes choosing RoI could be like a cascarino who chose England and never got a game. Alternatively, Sykes choosing NI could (in a universe where he started setting world alight a year or so ago) could end up like Giggs choosing Wales and being a star in a team going nowhere.
International teams are full of players who had a choice, and picking the ambitious choice even if it doesn’t work out isn’t necessarily wrong, and picking the conservative choice and then never having the chance to play in the big comps isn’t necessarily right.

Think I’d be correct in saying that deal was agreed with Appleton! Luckily Henry still signed with Pep as manager. Pep technically didn’t sign anyone of note 🤣

In the 2018 January transfer window, we brought in Brannagan and Dickie.

We all know that the recruitment team brought them in as part of the 'develop and sell' model and PC had nothing to do with them signing but signed under Clotet they were. I don't know how much influence PC would have had over them though although I'd guess at very little. CamBran for example as signed on the 11th January and Clotet had departed to run his footballing con man act elsewhere by the 22nd January.

Rather frighteningly, the day after CamBran joined so did Isaac Buckley-Ricketts. The phrase 'from the sublime to the ridiculous' couldn't be more apt.

Browne in talks with 2 clubs aboyt a permenant move away from Middlesborough. Surley we can;t compete with Sheffield United in terms of wages. I also doubt we'd get anywhere near what he's on at Middlesborough.

If this comes down to a permenant transfer and wages we have no chance! Having said that we'd have to be the best move for his long term career given the amount of game time he'd get.

Sykes and Moore due to only having 6 months left on their contracts, Cam would be a huge fee. We are a club that loses £2m a season and must sell to reinvest. The sensible option is to reinvest in those types of players in the summer. If you think OUFC are going to go out and spend that sort of money in January on proven players you will be disappointed. There's no written absolute rule, it's just generally how the market works in January. Some clubs will spend big bucks, often more than a player is worth, for proven, match fit players, we are not one of those clubs.
Chris Wood going to Newcastle a prime example for your last point!

Now Marcus Browne on a full time deal would be outstanding. Loan would be great but if he done brilliant there’s a chance we wouldn’t get him in the summer

Chris Wood is good at sticking the ball in the net for a poor team. He's obvs overpriced but will be a bargain if he gets enough goals to keep them up. Then he'll drop down to Boro or Sheff Utd.

Very much so, although taking one off a relegation rival could make it more shrewd than just the value on the players head in that case.

Obviously if we suddenly splashed the cash on a promotion rivals striker I would hardly complain! Just think it's extremely unlikely :LOL:

I agree, our recruitment has been in general excellent, if somewhat biased towards wingers. It just seems from the outside that the process is slow and painful, and often left to the last minute - maybe this is partly due to the way it's reported.

I suspect that the two things go hand-in-hand. Excellent recruitment may be a slow process

It’s only been a permanent move for Browne that we’ve been trying for past few weeks.
A fee has been agreed.
Would be fantastic if we could pull it off. Do you think we have a good chance, or are Sheffield United the front runners? Hopefully his past time with us has a big influence.

It didn’t workout for Browne in the championship and while he’s still young you’d hope he’d take a chance and join us permanently with a view to being a star player in the team and taking us up, but Sheffield is a hard proposition to turn down. I do remember there was rumours when he was on loan at Wigan?? He wasn’t too happy up north so I’d like to think we’re in with a chance.

Chris Wilder - "Marcus Browne is in talks with a couple of clubs over a permanent move."

Ikepeazu as a target man plan B type alternative might be worth a gamble.
I reckon he's the type of player we need, but the question is would his wage demands be too big for someone who's being signed as a backup for Taylor?

Last edited:
It’s only been a permanent move for Browne that we’ve been trying for past few weeks.
A fee has been agreed.
Very ambitious! Nice! Even if it doesn;t come off, it's a sign that we're aiming high. No doubt he won;t be the only iron in the fire like this.

Would be a sensble move for him. As long as he stays free from injuries he'll get alot of game time, and we know he can score and assist at this level. Could then go again in the Championship, either with us on via another move - he's still a good age.

Very ambitious! Nice! Even if it doesn;t come off, it's a sign that we're aiming high. No doubt he won;t be the only iron in the fire like this.

Would be a sensble move for him. As long as he stays free from injuries he'll get alot of game time, and we know he can score and assist at this level. Could then go again in the Championship, either with us on via another move - he's still a good age.
How could we afford his wages? I hope we're after other players as well.

A very big IF but IF we could sign Browne on a permanent and keep brannigan but possibly lose Sykes I think that would be a very good window obviously I'd also love to keep Sykes aswel.but I'd rather lose him than brannigan

Back
Top Bottom