January 2019 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kr said a polish trialist plays tomorrow and pekalski would play. Also some mumbling that could have been about Austria

Unknowns from foreign leagues. Good to see that lessons have been learnt from the Clotet regime.

Unknowns from foreign leagues. Good to see that lessons have been learnt from the Clotet regime.
Just because Clotet got them wrong (though Richardinho wad good) we should discount all players from foreign leagues?
Maybe lessons gave been learned but that doesn't mean we should never sign one again.

Just because Clotet got them wrong (though Richardinho wad good) we should discount all players from foreign leagues?
Maybe lessons gave been learned but that doesn't mean we should never sign one again.

Indeed, it's like we've never signed foreigners before, never mind only giving them a trial. :rolleyes:

I must have imagined the likes of Mateo Corbo, Christophe Remy and Benji Būchel.

The only foreign leagues worth scouting are in Scotland and Ireland. Plenty of value there and in L1 and non-league level.

Outside of our isles, at L1 level, the difference in footballing culture is just too vast. Far more emphasis on power, pace and the physical side rather than the technical side.

Richardinho was a joy but hardly one for the long-term. Even a broken clock is gets it right a couple of times a day...

The only foreign leagues worth scouting are in Scotland and Ireland. Plenty of value there and in L1 and non-league level.

Outside of our isles, at L1 level, the difference in footballing culture is just too vast. Far more emphasis on power, pace and the physical side rather than the technical side.

Richardinho was a joy but hardly one for the long-term. Even a broken clock is gets it right a couple of times a day...
I am.not sure whether our Scottish or Irish recruitment has been particularly any better than our recruitment from abroad except for the odd one.
I do not agree however that the club should simply never look abroad. There could be the odd gem and it would be amiss to write off most of the world!
Playing potential players in U23 games seems entirely sensible to me.

We are bringing these players in on trial not giving them a 2 year deal. It would be very short sighted of the club not to explore all options.

Nah! Those pesky foreigners can’t cope with a league full of real men, can they?!

Disagree on that. There is plenty of talent in the Scandinavian leagues, Belgium, Austria and others for a L1 club, even German leagues as well. Just have to know where to look. Julien Ryerson, for example, was scouted by OUFC and eventually landed at my club over here. Very promising young player.

Nah! Those pesky foreigners can’t cope with a league full of real men, can they?!

Well, the fact that L1 & L2 are not teeming with foreign talent suggests their exploits are more suited to more technical and less physical leagues.

I think the problem is more that we can’t afford to properly scout divisions outside of the uk, plus league one and the money we pay are not enough to entice a lot of players to travel.

We shouldn’t turn away from that market but we have to focus on the more realisable home one for the time being.

Well, the fact that L1 & L2 are not teeming with foreign talent suggests their exploits are more suited to more technical and less physical leagues.

Or it’s to do with the fact clubs in leagues 1 and 2 can’t afford to scout abroad?

• React
Reactions: Ian
Or it’s to do with the fact clubs in leagues 1 and 2 can’t afford to scout abroad?
.....And the wages paid in leagues 1 and 2 don’t make it worthwhile for players to relocate their families to a new country and lifestyle....

The likes of Van Kassel, Pekalski, Johnson et al happily took a payrise to relocate to L1 Oxford - and that was before our board was full of billionaires!

Not sure how much it cost to scout these lads (YouTube is at least free!), but if there was tan abundance of talent which is likely to flourish in L1 based abroad, I'm sure more clubs would be chasing a slice of the action.

.....And the wages paid in leagues 1 and 2 don’t make it worthwhile for players to relocate their families to a new country and lifestyle....
I imagine our players could be on up to 100K, the sort of money that makes relocating worthwhile. And they won’t all have kids, they’re young guys

• React
Reactions: Ian
One of the triallists had a good game in the U23 friendly against Fulham by the look of it...

Lawrence Shankland has scored 26 in 23 for Ayr this season. Top of the Scottish Championship and hit four against Dundee United last night - a perfect hat trick plus a penalty, and an assist for good measure. 23 years old, two goals in two games for Scotland U21s previously. He’s exactly the sort of player I’d like to see us running the rule over, especially with a development squad to bed people in. Would cost pennies as Ayr are part time and only have players on short term deals.
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spo.../ayr-chairman-explains-what-convince-15575181

Mmm I am slightly surprised at that.
We have the current three plus Ruffels and Hanson playing at full back and Baptiste and Carruthers potentially coming back soon.
I would have thought that midfield is where we are best served.
I would have thought strikers would have been the first thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom