January 2019 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun Rice

So nearly at the end of November and less than 40 days until the January transfer window. In football terms we still have 6 matches to play in that time.

Looking at KR (Or rather the club’s) business in the summer we have some serious work to do. This is going to be made all the more difficult because of our league position. Hopefully we can go on another unbeaten run, which will make us a more viable prospect.

We need to improve our recruitment considerably! The clubs business in the Summer is the reason we are where we are. Be that down to KR or the team behind the scenes. Terrible performance. I wonder who has gone since Mapp was here?

Sorry if I missed anyone.

Tsun-Dai, WHO? Contracted until 30/06/2020! But only 19 but hasn’t even kicked a ball for us!

Luke Garbutt, Absolutely awful! Either doesn’t want to be here or will be stacking shelves in Aldi before too long. Terrible signing by the club.

Sam Smith, Absolutely awful! Either doesn’t want to be here or will be stacking shelves in Aldi before too long. Terrible signing by the club.

Jamie Hanson, pursued and chased by KR and has shown nothing to make me think he’s better than what we have. Now playing in defence because KR watched a video of him playing there? Good job we did our homework!

Jon Michell, (Loan) Did okay but not a patch on Eastwood.

Jamie Mackie, age 33 better than Obika. I can’t say much else.

Cameron Norman, age 23 (Contract 30/06/2020) – Maybe one for the future but can’t break into our first team. He’s had the odd good game but from what I’ve seen not too impressed.

Ricky Holmes, (Loan) Struggling to play every week due to injury, Age 31, good mates with KR so might sign for us in the Summer. Looks unplayable at times.

Samir Carruthers, (Loan) looked like the best player on the pitch in preseason. He’s out of contract in the summer and I would hope we can keep him. If fit would be a real asset.

Marcus Browne, (Loan) looks great in spells only 20 years old and no chance of permanent signing and I’m betting going back in January.

Gavin Whyte, age 22 brilliant. So good we’ll be lucky to hang on to him beyond the summer!

In league terms I make that:

Won 2, Drawn 3 Lost 6

So nearly at the end of November and less than 40 days until the January transfer window. In football terms we still have 6 matches to play in that time.

Looking at KR (Or rather the club’s) business in the summer we have some serious work to do. This is going to be made all the more difficult because of our league position. Hopefully we can go on another unbeaten run, which will make us a more viable prospect.

We need to improve our recruitment considerably! The clubs business in the Summer is the reason we are where we are. Be that down to KR or the team behind the scenes. Terrible performance. I wonder who has gone since Mapp was here?

Sorry if I missed anyone.

Tsun-Dai, WHO? Contracted until 30/06/2020! But only 19 but hasn’t even kicked a ball for us!

Luke Garbutt, Absolutely awful! Either doesn’t want to be here or will be stacking shelves in Aldi before too long. Terrible signing by the club.

Sam Smith, Absolutely awful! Either doesn’t want to be here or will be stacking shelves in Aldi before too long. Terrible signing by the club.

Jamie Hanson, pursued and chased by KR and has shown nothing to make me think he’s better than what we have. Now playing in defence because KR watched a video of him playing there? Good job we did our homework!

Jon Michell, (Loan) Did okay but not a patch on Eastwood.

Jamie Mackie, age 33 better than Obika. I can’t say much else.

Cameron Norman, age 23 (Contract 30/06/2020) – Maybe one for the future but can’t break into our first team. He’s had the odd good game but from what I’ve seen not too impressed.

Ricky Holmes, (Loan) Struggling to play every week due to injury, Age 31, good mates with KR so might sign for us in the Summer. Looks unplayable at times.

Samir Carruthers, (Loan) looked like the best player on the pitch in preseason. He’s out of contract in the summer and I would hope we can keep him. If fit would be a real asset.

Marcus Browne, (Loan) looks great in spells only 20 years old and no chance of permanent signing and I’m betting going back in January.

Gavin Whyte, age 22 brilliant. So good we’ll be lucky to hang on to him beyond the summer!

In league terms I make that:

Won 2, Drawn 3 Lost 6
Agree with most but Samir Carruthers can go back in January

I wonder who’s paying for his op?
Hard to believe Sheffield would, so must be us. But why would we if he’s not staying.
Unfortunately it’s a 3 way thing... no not that three way thing but all parties agreeing on ending loan thing.

We’d have to look after him while he’s with us

Doubtful...

There would also be factors such as - the parent club insisting on their trusted surgeons only operating their players, not some unknown quantity. The cost of surgery would be trifling in comparison with the relative value of the player.

(I appreciate that in the scheme of things that Oxford is pretty cushty for orthopaedic surgery, but I once did a locum for the England cricket team knee surgeon at the Northern Infirmary in Sheffield - so they do pretty well up there too).

What I would like to see in Jan:
- Garbutt, Smith, Carruthers returned (if possible)
- Mitchell leaves
- New left back (can be a young talent)
- 2 loans strikers (we are unlikely to be able to buy a decent player here so loans may be the way to go. If we get 2 we have a chance at least one may be good).
- 1 pacy attacking midfielder (can be loan)
- If Nelson is sold another young talent center back (we have Raglan for more experience)
- We must avoid old injured rubbish or anyone only half fit

Other than wages which are offset by returning loans it should not cost huge money. I think if we get it right and KR is a half competent manager we should be able to be safe. At the moment I still think I would rather see KR gone too. I hope to heck we have plans in place already and that Tiger and his endless stream of other directors and hangers on genuinely have the ability to finance the club. This Jan window is a massive test for him and his whole ownership I think.

In the summer we will need a clear out:
The likes of Hall, Obika, Shearer, Dai don't add enough to the squad. Loans lke Browne and Holmes and whoever else we bring in will need replacing. Its going to be a big job and we will need to be better prepared and well financed.

I believe we have only 2 loan signings that we can make in the next window.

I believe we have only 2 loan signings that we can make in the next window.
Isn't there a quota of loan signings that a team can make per season, of which we have used up most already (seem to remember we've used up 9 of the 11 or 12 allowed - though that might not be quite right).

Believe the limit is 8 and we’ve already used 6, which would mean only 2 more allowed regardless of how many return in January.

What I would like to see in Jan:
- Garbutt, Smith, Carruthers returned (if possible)
- Mitchell leaves
- New left back (can be a young talent)
- 2 loans strikers (we are unlikely to be able to buy a decent player here so loans may be the way to go. If we get 2 we have a chance at least one may be good).
- 1 pacy attacking midfielder (can be loan)
- If Nelson is sold another young talent center back (we have Raglan for more experience)
- We must avoid old injured rubbish or anyone only half fit

Other than wages which are offset by returning loans it should not cost huge money. I think if we get it right and KR is a half competent manager we should be able to be safe. At the moment I still think I would rather see KR gone too. I hope to heck we have plans in place already and that Tiger and his endless stream of other directors and hangers on genuinely have the ability to finance the club. This Jan window is a massive test for him and his whole ownership I think.

In the summer we will need a clear out:
The likes of Hall, Obika, Shearer, Dai don't add enough to the squad. Loans lke Browne and Holmes and whoever else we bring in will need replacing. Its going to be a big job and we will need to be better prepared and well financed.
Don’t want much, do you?!

Don’t want much, do you?!
I want us to stay up. To have a good chance of that I think the club needs at least a fair chunk of what I listed.

I really don't think that it is impossible to achieve a good proportion of that (at least 3 players). It is still operating on a one out one in basis and I expect the strikers to be relatively untried young players (hoping we get another Roofe rather than another Smith).

I forgot the total loans number in which case we really are a bit more limited. It won't be easy but this is the mess we are in.

As it stands I don't think with our current squad we will stay up. All this talk of unbeaten runs has somewhat distorted the truth when you consider who we have played during that run and the number of wins there have been during it. Teams around us will strengthen in Jan and we have a lot of tough games left to play. Any business in Jan willl have to be good and go some way to fix the gaping holes in the squad.

I hope we make signings similar to the likes of Dickie and Brannagan. Young talent and a proven goalscorer if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom