January 2019 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope our new striker can head a ball. So many crosses and corners went a beggin today.

Apparently, this is because Nelson has his head turned/isn’t interested/is a w****r.

How many has Nelson ever put in with his head? (@Shosho)

Bit odd though - why would you be considering getting a striker in if it wasn't one you really wanted? Also I would hope that we will be signing two strikers, even if one is a loanee youngster.
Because you have a list of 4 or 5, make enquiries for them all and might get told one is available now but if you can only afford one you might hold on for the one you really want whose club want to keep him for a few more games.
Then you have to set up a chain with the player's current team who may want to hold on to the player until cover is in (a bit like we are holding on to Raglan until we get someone in). It's a bit like buying a house. You might have to settle for your 2nd choice if the owners of your first choice won't drop their price, or if you get gazumped. Or you might get lucky and reach agreement. And then you need a chain of house sales in place which relies on other people.

Last edited:
Apparently, this is because Nelson has his head turned/isn’t interested/is a w****r.

How many has Nelson ever put in with his head? (@Shosho)

Ooooo interesting, will take a look! Certainly know that Nelson has had similar quality of chances that Mackie has had...

If you find it difficult having a reasonable debate with fellow fans, who share the same passion as you, but might just have a different opinion? Then yes it’s pointless talking to anyone on here.
I remind you of Man U fans? In what way? I personally only know one actual Man U fan. By that I mean people who actually go regularly. Not just to the stadium tour they got brought for Christmas. To be fair he’s quite a decent chap... so thanks.
No I don’t remember long playing at left back. I don’t remember fans calling for him to play there every week because he was so great. If he was so great then I’d ask why is Ruffles playing there? Ruffles is an average left back at best!
Right there is our difference. We have different expectations. I think with the core of reasonable players we had left in the summer and the 11 players KR brought in we might be doing a little better than relegation zone. Blimey of those 11 only 2 have really been impressive.
Whether you agree or not, My opinion is Ruffles and maybe long would be adequate back up for a quality left back. I don’t want to just make do!

2 assists today for the s**t RB according to sky! ?

And, an agent might price the player at the top of your list out of reach, as he's thinks he can get more money - perhaps waiting for o move in the summer.

2 assists today for the s**t RB according to sky! ?
It's always been difficult to judge Sam as he has always been in and out of the team. Whilst he may not be one to build a team around, he is a player who appears to grow in confidence when he gets a decent run. A few years ago we saw Ruffels grab the left back opportunity and become a better player, and I hope that Sam Long does the same with right back if the opportunity arises. He's a local lad, and I hope that if he remains in the side he gets the support that he needs.

Either not fit or not wanting to be in the country eg. at Christmas as didn’t want to be here so clearly not interested. Next!

Don’t let the truth ever get in the way of fake news!
Rubbish, he had just ended a season loan, and was in training with the squad.
Why would he not want to be in the country?

On the 22nd December he asked if he could go and visit family for a couple of days. He knew he couldnt be involved in first team action until January 2nd at the earliest. He was match fit.

Kr, as with other players that aren’t amongst his favourites aka Raglan and Noah, has recently spoken totally unprofessionally about Pekalski, in tonight’s interview for example, and after the Bradford game. About others, “that stays in the dressing room,” anything about Pekalski he’s quite happy to diss him to the press.

Pekalski may be a complete rebel. I only know about Christmas.
My point is simple, treat all your squad the same. If you won’t discuss questions on Nelson’s future with Nathan when interviewed, allow the same etiquette to all of your squad.

On the 22nd December he asked if he could go and visit family for a couple of days. He knew he couldnt be involved in first team action until January 2nd at the earliest. He was match fit.

Kr, as with other players that aren’t amongst his favourites aka Raglan and Noah, has recently spoken totally unprofessionally about Pekalski, in tonight’s interview for example, and after the Bradford game. About others, “that stays in the dressing room,” anything about Pekalski he’s quite happy to diss him to the press.

My point is simple, treat all your squad the same. If you won’t discuss questions on Nelson’s future with Nathan when interviewed, allow the same etiquette to all of your squad.
Doesn’t want to be here. God your anti Kr and tiger agenda is really boring .

• React
Reactions: Ian
To be fair aren’t damages in a slander or libel case awarded in relation to how damaging the statement is likely to be, taking into account the speaker’s platform and how many people are likely to be exposed to and influenced by the statement? Much as we all love bazzer’s posts I’m not sure a judge would find the statement to be particularly damaging to evans’ reputation more generally, given his audience is other fans of a rather obscure L1 football club on a rather obscure internet forum - so damages would be meagre at best

Fair comment but why put yourself at risk of any damages by using a libellous word? Why not say for example the prat Evans or the idiot Evans if you’re intent on degrading him?

So, to be clear, you are saying that we should keep Ivo and that he would be happy staying and playing, but that Robinson is forcing him out?

Is that honestly what you believe?

The truth is that after a lengthy absence through injury (as accurately stated by @Banbury2018) Ivo then returned to Sweden to play until the end of their season. Having returned to us, he asked to go back home for Christmas but didn't return as agreed. He was then told to find a club or to return to full training. Again he is yet to return. So @Banbury2018 was also accurate to say that he does not want to be in this country.

During his time with us, Ivo has picked up a decent wage without ever playing competitively for us. Robinson is rightly questioning this and giving him an ultimatium to turn up and give 100% to us, or to leave and get off our books. How can that possibly be a negative for Robinson? It is exactly what I would be expecting of our manager.

Doesn’t want to be here. God your anti Kr and tiger agenda is really boring .

No mate, me 36 years supporting yellow and blue, from Carlisle to Plymouth?
Today 500 round trip.
.....and your bland support for kr is based on what? Give him another chance, because that means I get to see the same mistakes made again that have been made previously?
Did you wave the buckets the last time we had to make sure the players get played?
Were you at the game when the final protest took place to get rid of kashscam
The only time it becomes boring young man is when you know there is nothing more you can do.
Take it from someone who sat in that centre circle so that you weren’t watching Thames v.r now, and printed flyers about what was going on the evening the boardroom was stormed.

Last edited:
What I find really interesting is that Ivo Pekalski has a public history with depression and mental health issues, just give it all a google if you genuinely didn’t realise or remember this from when he signed, and everybody including the manager of Oxford United seems to be overlooking that. The guy moved to another country and having already suffered one huge injury in his career, suffered another on his very first day training which subsequently cost him another a full year of football. He moved with nobody, he had no family that came with him when he joined, and given his past battles with various demons most likely just wants to be back home to rebuild his life. Forget his career, he’s a human being who just needs to be of sound mind and in a place that he’s comfortable. He was unable to play for Oxford United until last week due to his loan, and all we heard before January even started was that he either needs to get out of town sharpish or be run into the ground. That’s alright, is it? For a man with his past psychological and physical issues to be threatened with being flogged all day every day in training, and to be publicly lambasted and hung out to dry, while the person doing that to him gives bullshit radio interviews with his wife where they preach about the mental strain that football puts on people, and how fans don’t always know what’s going on, and so forth? I think the way this guy has been targeted and spoken about by the club recently is rather poor, and yet in regards to this particular issue there are people actually backing our dim witted manager up. He’s being unprofessional and showing absolutely no regard for an individual who has long-standing problems. I’d like the guy to move on as much as anybody - it’s been a disastrous move for everybody and the sooner we can get some if not all of his salary off the books the better - but on this particular occasion perhaps a bit more tact would have been appropriate. I’d like to think even the most yellow-tinted spectacle wearers on this forum can at least sit there and go “Ah... I forgot about this stuff. Maybe he should be allowed to very quietly make his way out and everybody should just leave him and the situation be.”

What I find really interesting is that Ivo Pekalski has a public history with depression and mental health issues, just give it all a google if you genuinely didn’t realise or remember this from when he signed, and everybody including the manager of Oxford United seems to be overlooking that. The guy moved to another country and having already suffered one huge injury in his career, suffered another on his very first day training which subsequently cost him another a full year of football. He moved with nobody, he had no family that came with him when he joined, and given his past battles with various demons most likely just wants to be back home to rebuild his life. Forget his career, he’s a human being who just needs to be of sound mind and in a place that he’s comfortable. He was unable to play for Oxford United until last week due to his loan, and all we heard before January even started was that he either needs to get out of town sharpish or be run into the ground. That’s alright, is it? For a man with his past psychological and physical issues to be threatened with being flogged all day every day in training, and to be publicly lambasted and hung out to dry, while the person doing that to him gives bullshit radio interviews with his wife where they preach about the mental strain that football puts on people, and how fans don’t always know what’s going on, and so forth? I think the way this guy has been targeted and spoken about by the club recently is rather poor, and yet in regards to this particular issue there are people actually backing our dim witted manager up. He’s being unprofessional and showing absolutely no regard for an individual who has long-standing problems. I’d like the guy to move on as much as anybody - it’s been a disastrous move for everybody and the sooner we can get some if not all of his salary off the books the better - but on this particular occasion perhaps a bit more tact would have been appropriate. I’d like to think even the most yellow-tinted spectacle wearers on this forum can at least sit there and go “Ah... I forgot about this stuff. Maybe he should be allowed to very quietly make his way out and everybody should just leave him and the situation be.”

Whilst it is fair to recognise the mental pressures of playing in a competive environment, away from family and friends etc stating that he is suffering from any current mental health issues is entirely speculation. Ivo was afforded time away from Oxford during his recovery from his injury whilst also being paid and provided with appropriate medical care. He was allowed to go out on loan and I am sure the discussion was about him looking to find a new club to support him being back home and freeing up a wage for our much needed recruitment. On conclusion of his loan, Ivo briefly returned to Oxford before being allowed to return home over the Christmas period and to allow him to find another club. It is not unreasonable to assume that this was all done with the consent of Robinson/Tiger and that Ivo would have agreed to the idea that he would ultimately look to move on. However, he has yet to find a club and has been told to either do so or to return to the club that is paying his wages. That is not unreasonable. Employers have a duty of care, and would be expected to make reasonable adjustments, but that can only ever go so far. We have no idea on what Ivo is doing to move the situation on. He may have attracted interest from other teams, but there may be an issue with his fitness. This may be why Robinson specifically talks of him running every day on his return.

Robinson and everyone else at the club is judged on their results. Robinson will be under incredible pressure, and you even stated a week ago that it looked like he was losing the plot. But where is your concern for his wellbeing? To you he is dim witted etc, but where is the recognition that he is simply trying to do the best for our club with someone who may not be honouring his side of any agreement?

As I've said before, too many on here get stuck in their petty little agendas and use every incident to further their issue. Sam Smith was ripped apart for months on here but the second he is released it is Robinson's fault. Tony McMahon wants to return nearer home to deal with personal issues, but again this is Robinson's fault. Our young players go out for much needed game time and development? Blame Robinson. Ivo has been disastrous for all concerned, but lets kick Robinson for trying to move things on! Obika couldn't hit a barn door a few months ago, but heaven forbid that he is released in the summer!

Whilst it is fair to recognise the mental pressures of playing in a competive environment, away from family and friends etc stating that he is suffering from any current mental health issues is entirely speculation.

Quite an in depth interview about Ivo's battle with his demons here (på Svenska, but Google will translate it reasonably well)

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbla...ande-att-det-gick-sa-langt--var-oerhort-svart

Ivo's problems are not "speculation" but clearly well documented. Perhaps his current mental health is fine. But given his past, perhaps best to err on the side of caution rather than applaud his manager for throwing him under the bus?

Whilst it is fair to recognise the mental pressures of playing in a competive environment, away from family and friends etc stating that he is suffering from any current mental health issues is entirely speculation. Ivo was afforded time away from Oxford during his recovery from his injury whilst also being paid and provided with appropriate medical care. He was allowed to go out on loan and I am sure the discussion was about him looking to find a new club to support him being back home and freeing up a wage for our much needed recruitment. On conclusion of his loan, Ivo briefly returned to Oxford before being allowed to return home over the Christmas period and to allow him to find another club. It is not unreasonable to assume that this was all done with the consent of Robinson/Tiger and that Ivo would have agreed to the idea that he would ultimately look to move on. However, he has yet to find a club and has been told to either do so or to return to the club that is paying his wages. That is not unreasonable. Employers have a duty of care, and would be expected to make reasonable adjustments, but that can only ever go so far. We have no idea on what Ivo is doing to move the situation on. He may have attracted interest from other teams, but there may be an issue with his fitness. This may be why Robinson specifically talks of him running every day on his return.

Robinson and everyone else at the club is judged on their results. Robinson will be under incredible pressure, and you even stated a week ago that it looked like he was losing the plot. But where is your concern for his wellbeing? To you he is dim witted etc, but where is the recognition that he is simply trying to do the best for our club with someone who may not be honouring his side of any agreement?

As I've said before, too many on here get stuck in their petty little agendas and use every incident to further their issue. Sam Smith was ripped apart for months on here but the second he is released it is Robinson's fault. Tony McMahon wants to return nearer home to deal with personal issues, but again this is Robinson's fault. Our young players go out for much needed game time and development? Blame Robinson. Ivo has been disastrous for all concerned, but lets kick Robinson for trying to move things on! Obika couldn't hit a barn door a few months ago, but heaven forbid that he is released in the summer!
I know for one, that I’m guilty of doing what you state in your last paragraph. I’m aware of it and have decided to make an effort to refrain from it and to try and be more objective.

Unfortunately it has to be accepted that it is going to happen unless a) We move away from the bottom of the table or b) Robinson leaves the club.

Personally, I’d much rather it be the first option and would hope the same applies for every Oxford fan.

Quite an in depth interview about Ivo's battle with his demons here (på Svenska, but Google will translate it reasonably well)

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbla...ande-att-det-gick-sa-langt--var-oerhort-svart

Ivo's problems are not "speculation" but clearly well documented. Perhaps his current mental health is fine. But given his past, perhaps best to err on the side of caution rather than applaud his manager for throwing him under the bus?

Of course he has a history of mental health issues, but we have no

I have sympathy for anyone suffering with mental health issues, but it is entirely speculative to assume that because someone has previously suffered that they must be suffering now. We simply do not know this, nor do we know what had been agreed between Ivo and the club. If he was wilfully refusing to honour his contract but returning to the club should we just ignore this? We keep hearing that Robinson has lost the dressing room etc and that he is throwing players under the bus, but again there is no evidence to support this. Unfortunately it feels like historical mental health issues of one player are being used as a way of point scoring against Robinson. This is not only a cheap shot that is totally unfounded but also a pretty shitty way to treat a very serious issue.

So, according to KR, the striker signing is going to be close to the end of the window. Really hope this doesn't go horribly wrong.

So, according to KR, the striker signing is going to be close to the end of the window. Really hope this doesn't go horribly wrong.

If we can’t get any one BETTER than what we got at present before the Portsmouth game then fair enough but after that we have 10 days until our next league game against Barnsley we need to have at least 1 out of the 2 strikers in during that time otherwise i dread to think how (hard or bad) it’s going to be trying to get 2 in on Transfer deadline day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom