January 2019 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think he did but have to agree with other posters Tiger said there’s money available and KR seems to contradict things, and we can only have one more loanee. But whatever happens he has to sort this mess and get us away from the drop zone.

KR has said Tiger is putting money in. What he did say was that we aren’t going to go and spend a million plus on 1 player. Which, as he explains no one does in league 1 except for a club like Sunderland.

Robinson has already started making excuses as to why we will not sign any decent players this transfer window, heard it all before, his comments seem muddled as to what he wants, why does he keenami g players and then saying we are not going for them.
Transfer strategy muddled, unclear planning, result will be more injury prone loanees who will play no part in our recovery whilst we pay for theirs.
Tiger has no money, no ambition for our club, Robinson has no idea about anything.
God help us.

Ironically, you’re the only person I can see who is saying that we won’t make any decent signings.

Really? 6 figures for an untried youngster from Ireland? Im not so sure. Maybe with all future clauses....
How much do you think we paid? A tenner and an unwanted chocolate orange from Christmas? This is one of the most highly rated Irish players who has been scoring freely from midfield? Port Vale had a significant bid in place which we exceeded. He may not be Neymar but he hasn't come to us for buttons either!

Think he did but have to agree with other posters Tiger said there’s money available and KR seems to contradict things, and we can only have one more loanee. But whatever happens he has to sort this mess and get us away from the drop zone.
I have said elsewhere some of the summer recruitment was a failure for various reasons. Smith just didn’t work out, it was his first loan. Roofe or Marcus Browne are good examples of this. Holmes was a gamble with fitness because when fit was clearly top end in this league but now has gone majorly Pete Tong. Sadly Samir Carruthers has had an injury nightmare and Jamie Hanson has struggled although maybe will end up doing a good job at right back. Like Garbutt came with good credentials but for whatever reason it hasn’t happened here. January has to be better. I would say hopefully so far so good with our signings.

• React
Reactions: Ian
I haven’t kept up completely with this thread, so apologies if this has been covered, but are there any ideas who the ‘older head’ could be? Somebody around the late twenties to early thirties and has a decent record in league 1

I’m thinking somebody like Doyle or Pittman but I’ve also heard Stefan Payne could be on the way out of Bristol Rovers. He’s been a bit of a disaster there but anyone think he’s done enough in the past to be considered? I guess he’d still cost a few quid..

Norwood is playing in the FA Cup Tonight, so would be cup tied for whoever buys him.

I have said elsewhere some of the summer recruitment was a failure for various reasons. Smith just didn’t work out, it was his first loan. Roofe or Marcus Browne are good examples of this. Holmes was a gamble with fitness because when fit was clearly top end in this league but now has gone majorly Pete Tong. Sadly Samir Carruthers has had an injury nightmare and Jamie Hanson has struggled although maybe will end up doing a good job at right back. Like Garbutt came with good credentials but for whatever reason it hasn’t happened here. January has to be better. I would say hopefully so far so good with our signings.
So do I hope that January is a better month for signings, although we can only have one more loan signing, I just hope that if KR spends he spends it well. And as wiggy has said KR won’t spend a million on a player for L1 unless you’re scumderland or even Pompey but no reason why he can’t spend a million+ if that’s available from tiger on players if they’re available and what would be an investment for the future. But January there aren’t a lot of decent players available.

Last edited:
I would love us to sign James Norwood. Great track record and would be superb for us

So do I hope that January is a better month for signings, although we can only have one more loan signing, I just hope that if KR spends he spends it well. And as wiggy has said KR won’t spend a million on a player for L1 unless you’re scumderland or even Pompey but no reason why he can’t spend a million+ if that’s available from tiger on players if they’re available and what would be an investment for the future. But January there aren’t a lot of decent players available.
I often think a million spent between 3/4 players can often be extremely successful if the players deliver. Back in the 90’s in league 1 we signed Phil Whitehead, Matt Elliot , Phil Gilchrist and Paul Moody without spending as much as we spent onDean Windass a few years later. We did make a decent profit on Windass but eventually after he left we went down whereas the earlier example we got promoted and were pushing the play offs until the vultures started circling. We made loads when those players moved on although sadly it went on keeping us afloat.

I would love us to sign James Norwood. Great track record and would be superb for us
Not on tonight's showing ..he might get a zero knocked off that valuation...Rovers huffing against a moderate Spurs performance..so far!

Last edited:
I often think a million spent between 3/4 players can often be extremely successful if the players deliver. Back in the 90’s in league 1 we signed Phil Whitehead, Matt Elliot , Phil Gilchrist and Paul Moody without spending as much as we spent onDean Windass a few years later. We did make a decent profit on Windass but eventually after he left we went down whereas the earlier example we got promoted and were pushing the play offs until the vultures started circling. We made loads when those players moved on although sadly it went on keeping us afloat.
Add John Byrne to that list. Those were the days....

No money but payed 6 figures for a player yesterday.
Again, when does an undisclosed fee become 6 figures?

It does look so far so good, but it also did in the summer; we had Readings wonder by, hopefully another Everton prodigy, in Holmes and Carruthers previously outstanding players, in Mackie a goal scorer with bags of experience.

Unfortunately they then either began kicking a football and showed they were either crocks or didn't live up to their billing

Well he fits the ‘young player from lower league’ description. Big step up though, not sure he’d be any more ready than Bradbury for this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom