January 2019 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many does Oxbible get right? When words like ‘likely’ and ‘uncomfirmed’ And that good old term when it comes to made up rumours ‘are set to sign..’are used I tend to switch off.

Having said that, the lad from WH has come out of left field.

Oxbible is having a better season to be fair and seems to get more right than wrong.

Perhaps the young (ish) lad from the Hammers is compensation for taking Marcus Browne back?

Well, at least KR is managing expectations...we're not splashing out and are looking for one old head and one young buck.
Oh, and it may happen at the end of January.

Basically, don't get your hopes up!

Notice he's also given Pekalski an ultimatum "or he'll just have him running every day" and has put a 30-year-old with no games played this season in the ring as somebody we would be looking at.

Underwhelming, but different to "we're going to get four deals done by next week" and have none emerging.

Looks like we wont be paying out "big bucks". This pretty much rules out permanent signing of anyone in the Championship or above. With the wages being paid in these leagues I cant see anything more than a loan signing.
Perhaps Ben Woodburn from Liverpool?

With the trend towards playing "one up-front", finding a proven no.9 seems to be more difficult. There are plenty of attacking midfielders and no.10s, but few old school strikers.

The only mention of money, other than there is some, is Oxford, well Lg 1 clubs other than Sunderland, won't be spending a £1m on 1 player. Did anybody really expect that to happen?

It depends on what you class as a big fee I suppose as that is what KR talks about. The club has already spent over £100k on Sykes if the reports of Port Vale agreeing a deal for that previously is true. From that I take it KR doesn't consider £100k or so as a big fee.

Last edited:
I reckon an old head who’s been rattling around leagues 1 and 2 recently - can’t think of any names off the top of my head - but probably surplus to requirements or coming to the end of his contract and a young striker on loan from a club higher up the pyramid. I don’t think we should get too excited, but if they can get the goals to keep us up, I won’t complain.

We’re now seeing signs of where the club is really at. I’ve no complaints about that, realistically in our current position nobody could really expect us to pull up trees in the transfer market. Unfortunately I think Robinson got carried away in the summer because Tiger left him in charge of recruitment, and got a little excited with his premature announcements of what the fans could expect. Maybe the reigns have been applied to him with expectation management by the stronger board now in place?

Aren’t they cup tied so can’t play this weekend anyway, gives us one week to get replacements in?

So Bradbury and Little rejoin Woking.........does KR have any idea what he’s doing?
IMHO, for Bradbury's career, he'll be better served playing week in week out at Woking, than being on the fringes of the first team for the rest of the season and totally maybe 90 mins game time.

Never been so underwhelmed to be honest. Also seems that, contrary to us expecting targets to be lined up, theyve not really been.

IMHO, for Bradbury's career, he'll be better served playing week in week out at Woking, than being on the fringes of the first team for the rest of the season and totally maybe 90 mins game time.
True and I agree with what you’re saying but at the moment our striking options are very limited that’s why I questioned the loan.

Well, at least KR is managing expectations...we're not splashing out and are looking for one old head and one young buck.
Oh, and it may happen at the end of January.

Basically, don't get your hopes up!

Notice he's also given Pekalski an ultimatum "or he'll just have him running every day" and has put a 30-year-old with no games played this season in the ring as somebody we would be looking at.

Underwhelming, but different to "we're going to get four deals done by next week" and have none emerging.

Ultimatum for what though? He leaves and joins a new club who presumably take on his contract or he stays here, turns up for training, 'runs every day' and gets paid a handsome basic wage for it? From the sounds of it, IP isn't bothered either way and can 'Winston Bogarde' us if he chooses. It's not much of an ultimatum if the prospect is just running ...

I'd love to know what goes into a player's contract. Refusing to play and returning home to Sweden must be some sort of breach of contract surely? Do clubs have power to sack players for that sort of misdemeanor?

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/...alski-deadline-to-arrange-new-club-in-sweden/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom