January 2019 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, Oxford is further south than Scunthorpe so if he lives north of Scunthorpe and Scunthorpe is north of Oxford then he will be moving nearer to home. Am I missing something?
Sorry, I worded that badly. If he lives in Bishop Auckland, Scunthorpe is still a lengthy trip home so would not be gaining an awful lot.

A quick trip to the AA route planner shows:

Oxford > Bishop Auckland is 4 hours 4 minutes
Scunthorpe > Bishop Auckland is 1 hour 57 minutes

So it's actually a pretty huge time saving - personally I'd be much happier doing a journey of less than two hours a few times a week than one of over four hours. The latter (an eight hour round trip) means you'd have to live away from home, the former means you wouldn't.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Sorry, I worded that badly. If he lives in Bishop Auckland, Scunthorpe is still a lengthy trip home so would not be gaining an awful lot.

I agree. It's a four hour round trip to Scunthorpe and back which he'll presumably be making each day rather than staying down there and heading back once a week like he did with us. It's hardly an improvement on his current position here.

Then again, beggars can't be choosers if you choose to live so far up north.

He created a number of goals Mackie could only dream of while here. Plymouth fans blamed him being injured for them falling at the last hurdle last season as they hurtled towards the playoffs.

Ryan Taylor is a better and more effective footballer than Jamie Mackie. Whether either of them are ultimately good enough is a separate matter, he’s better than Mackie.
Hasn't Mackie spent almost all of his career at a higher level than Taylor? So to suggest that 'He is better than Mackie' in my view is wrong.
So supporters who are blaming KR for getting in old crocks are suggesting that a constantly injured lower league journeyman player who has started 200 odd league games in the last 12 years and scores at a rate of one in every 7 games or so is really an option?

I agree. It's a four hour round trip to Scunthorpe and back which he'll presumably be making each day rather than staying down there and heading back once a week like he did with us. It's hardly an improvement on his current position here.

Then again, beggars can't be choosers if you choose to live so far up north.

I think this map shows it best:

http://www.myfootygrounds.co.uk/AreaMap.asp?view=ENGLAND

Apart from the 3 North East teams (of which only Sunderland would be a realistic possibility) and possibly Carlisle, there aren't many better options (in the top 4 divisions) for him to take that are "closer" to Bishop Auckland. Also, it is a two-way street, even if there was a club right on his doorstep, he can only move there if they want him!

• React
Reactions: Ian
A bit of a random suggestion. Have you heard something?
Just one of a few names being banded about by some of our fans at a recent game.
James Norwood and Nathan Smith were the other names i recall being mentioned.

Last edited:
Hasn't Mackie spent almost all of his career at a higher level than Taylor? So to suggest that 'He is better than Mackie' in my view is wrong.
So supporters who are blaming KR for getting in old crocks are suggesting that a constantly injured lower league journeyman player who has started 200 odd league games in the last 12 years and scores at a rate of one in every 7 games or so is really an option?
So you’re looking backwards to judge a player who is here in the now. There’s a huge thing on this forum of people doing that. The Jamie Mackie WE have is less effective than the Ryan Taylor we DID have. That’s all I ever said. I even made a point of commenting that neither of them may in reality be good enough any more, regardless. But by your logic Kenny Dalglish must be better than Ivan Toney, if we want to go there.

How would people feel if we went for Matty Taylor at Bristol City? Proven goal scorer at this level not doing a lot in championship... I know he messed us around previously but I’d take him in a heartbeat!!!

How would people feel if we went for Matty Taylor at Bristol City? Proven goal scorer at this level not doing a lot in championship... I know he messed us around previously but I’d take him in a heartbeat!!!
I would too. I just hope we don’t have the same situation, as with Smith in the summer, where Robinson chases one all through January. His comments about having one lined up but thinking he can get a better deal elsewhere alludes to this and all sounds a bit fuzzy (and to be frank, bullshitty) We need at least one in ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom