January 2019 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually scrap that let’s spend and get this lad...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macauley_Bonne

It is these sort of players, a sort of speculative purchase, that we should be buying on a regular basis, sort of 3 a year. On average, one will be a great success (possibly good sell on, at a decent profit), one will be OK and will be a good addition to the squad and may be 1 in 3 will be a total flop and after 6 months can be released. The profit and success made on the "great success" one will outweigh the loss on the flop.

I know this isn’t strictly related to this thread but the general theme has given me a thought:

One of the reasons I have been optimistic about KR is because of his history of bringing through young players. I always hoped he would be able to do that here, to continue the MApp project as it were. I think we would have to say, now we’re a good few months into the season, he’s done a very good job on that front. Smith has been poor and for whatever reason after a bright start Norman has disappeared, but the development of Whyte, Browne, even Brannagan and Dickie, right down to the nurturing of Lopes, Spasov and Bradbury, has been impressive. The fact that we’re now even talking about bringing in young players that we could then reasonably sell on is testament to KR’s positive impact on young players. I think this is the first time in a couple of years that we’ve been able to talk seriously about being an attractive destination for exciting young players, and that for me is really really positive.

A couple of other little snippets: Sheffield Utd are reportedly interested in Shane Long and Jermaine Defoe as Wilder looks to strengthen his attacking options. If he’s bringing players in he’ll probably be looking to let one or two go. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Holmes and even Carruthers here on permanents in January.

Also, it looks like Hull City are open to offers for Will Keane, with talk of him maybe considering dropping down to league 1 to kick start his career again. Not sure what he’d be asking for in wages but he’d be a fantastic signing if we were prepared to push the old boat out a bit. He’s out of contract in the summer with no chance of being offered anything by his current club.

I know this isn’t strictly related to this thread but the general theme has given me a thought:

One of the reasons I have been optimistic about KR is because of his history of bringing through young players. I always hoped he would be able to do that here, to continue the MApp project as it were. I think we would have to say, now we’re a good few months into the season, he’s done a very good job on that front. Smith has been poor and for whatever reason after a bright start Norman has disappeared, but the development of Whyte, Browne, even Brannagan and Dickie, right down to the nurturing of Lopes, Spasov and Bradbury, has been impressive. The fact that we’re now even talking about bringing in young players that we could then reasonably sell on is testament to KR’s positive impact on young players. I think this is the first time in a couple of years that we’ve been able to talk seriously about being an attractive destination for exciting young players, and that for me is really really positive.

And Owen James on the bench today too

Agree with that.
Don't forget Baptiste too.
Had KR been sacked when many wanted him to be my worry always was who gets us out of the mess we were in but would also follow the clear strategy of bringing through young players.

Lawrence Shankland has scored 26 in 23 for Ayr this season. Top of the Scottish Championship and hit four against Dundee United last night - a perfect hat trick plus a penalty, and an assist for good measure. 23 years old, two goals in two games for Scotland U21s previously. He’s exactly the sort of player I’d like to see us running the rule over, especially with a development squad to bed people in. Would cost pennies as Ayr are part time and only have players on short term deals.

Indirectly related, remember when people were talking about non contract players we could sign under Pep Clotet. Well one of them, Kemy Agustien scored Barrow's 1st in their 2-0 win at Braintree today.

Lawrence Shankland has scored 26 in 23 for Ayr this season. Top of the Scottish Championship and hit four against Dundee United last night - a perfect hat trick plus a penalty, and an assist for good measure. 23 years old, two goals in two games for Scotland U21s previously. He’s exactly the sort of player I’d like to see us running the rule over, especially with a development squad to bed people in. Would cost pennies as Ayr are part time and only have players on short term deals.
does he share the shithousery credentials of his fellow Scot Maguire? if he does, hes gotta be worth a look;););) ... good shout @RyanioBirdio :)

Both Aneke and Agard out of contract in the summer...

Mallik Wilks would be the one for me...out of contract in the summer, fits our style.

Bonne and Norwood will cost

does he share the shithousery credentials of his fellow Scot Maguire? if he does, hes gotta be worth a look;););) ... good shout @RyanioBirdio :)
I remember the last player we bought from Scotland he was a striker, where he at now? Playing for the 2nd bottom team in the EFL

Both Aneke and Agard out of contract in the summer...

Mallik Wilks would be the one for me...out of contract in the summer, fits our style.

Bonne and Norwood will cost
Agard bound to be on KRs list.

I remember the last player we bought from Scotland he was a striker, where he at now? Playing for the 2nd bottom team in the EFL
That’s why I said if nothing else it’s a development signing. That amount of goals at any level is worth a trial or a short term deal. Gavin Whyte was playing semi pro football in Northern Ireland, and scoring less goals, just six months ago.

I’m not saying he’s guaranteed to be a success but why on Earth with those sorts of numbers would we not be watching him extremely closely with a view to even a one year deal? You can still sign other strikers, it doesn’t have to be this guy and nobody else.

Well one thing is for certain. The club need to sort their finances out quickly.
I am very much hoping that this tax bill debacle will be sorted quickly but with January approaching the club needs some cash for a new striker.
If they are in serious financial difficulties, Nelson will be off in January.

did I see marvin coming on for sheff utd today? Kemar looking like he will be in the premshit next season with or without leeds, playing really well

did I see marvin coming on for sheff utd today? Kemar looking like he will be in the premshit next season with or without leeds, playing really well

Does anyone know if we will benefit financially from any add-ons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom