January 2019 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long term I would hope significant thought is being given to sign Brown permanently
He is way down the pecking order at WH and he needs a permanent move to this level to mature and kick on. It should be us.
At the end of next season he can be sold to the Championship and provide much-needed funds. We really do need to keep ‘the model’ going in that regard.

It's a nice thought, but I can't see any way will could sign Browne permanently if he keeps performing as he did last night. Either West Ham will sell him to a Championship team directly, or will loan him out to one to see if his improvement can be maintained. My biggest worry is that they decide to do that in January rather than in the summer.

It's a nice thought, but I can't see any way will could sign Browne permanently if he keeps performing as he did last night. Either West Ham will sell him to a Championship team directly, or will loan him out to one to see if his improvement can be maintained. My biggest worry is that they decide to do that in January rather than in the summer.
Can’t argue with this unfortunately..

The precedent here is of course Roofe. On balance your scenario is more likely in the Summer but as Hawk says, if we have ambitions we should certainly be giving Browne and West Ham a headache in weighing up a genuinely good offer.

A sell-on for WH and a commitment to not standing in Browne’s way should a Championship or PL club come in (per our recent policy) would certainly sweeten the deal. It would certainly help to inspire confidence in our new Board so a real PR tick for them too.

I'd like to think that by the end of next season OUFC would've been promoted either directly or via playoffs to the championship.

We have seriously wealthy members of the OUFC board, yet,as yet there's not been an announcement from the club/chairman/or MD re finaces for the future both impending (jan transfer window opens in a few weeks time) , medium and even long term. Or any plans either.

Is there mushroom here ?:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Browne has a contract until summer 2020. Personally, I think signing him permanently in the summer would be a struggle, as much as I would love to see it!

We have form with Roofe, Ledson, Lundstram all dropping down to then earn their move after a season or two. Add that KR has handled youngsters previously and is well thought of in coaching circles and I think we have a strong argument to retain some of these players dropping down.

Players like Mallik Wilks on loan at Doncaster from Leeds, contract up in the summer, Roofe/Roberts/Bamford etc ahead of him....should certainly be on our radar

Let's hope that is what happens. I guess it will depend on how he gets on for the rest of the year (hopefully the season) with us.

Replying to MJBs post

• React
Reactions: MJB
amazed that some here want/expect the new guys to splash the cash yet want us to sign players to sell on.

i've said this many times before if you are meant to be an ambitious club then by keep selling your better players only to start again you take 1 forward and 2 back.

keep the better players and build around them, how many times do people want us rebuilding year on year and then expect us to challenge

amazed that some here want/expect the new guys to splash the cash yet want us to sign players to sell on.

i've said this many times before if you are meant to be an ambitious club then by keep selling your better players only to start again you take 1 forward and 2 back.

keep the better players and build around them, how many times do people want us rebuilding year on year and then expect us to challenge

So so true

So how are the club going to buy these people, pay these people, rent a stadium for them to play in etc if we were to decide not to sell players? Living in dreamland must be pretty fun, but this is the real world.

Most of the time, they want 2 forwards and 1 (left) back…

Most of the time, they want 2 forwards and 1 (left) back…

I saw a documentary on discovery channel the other day about the fabled ‘two strikers and one left back’. People think they do still exist, there was grainy footage on there of an apparent sighting in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains but it looked fake. I’m not holding out much hope that we will see there like again unless scientists use dna from old fossils and object it into the more common winger/attacking midfielder..

Isn't Browne one of KRs numerpus crocks

There are examples of clubs who sell their best players but are successful.
For years Southampton did it and Brentford have been very successful doing it.
The key thing that the current owners seem to be doing is investing heavily in the youngsters. So bringing in Branaghan and Dickie but also developing the James Spasov Baptistes.
Bringing on 2 to 3 younger players and selling them all at once (or letting their contracts run down) is not a good idea as we have to regularly rebuild.
If the rumours on Lopez are true then the bringing on youngsters who can be taken by Leeds etc is another risk..

Isn't Browne one of KRs numerpus crocks
There are examples of clubs who sell their best players but are successful.
For years Southampton did it and Brentford have been very successful doing it.
The key thing that the current owners seem to be doing is investing heavily in the youngsters. So bringing in Branaghan and Dickie but also developing the James Spasov Baptistes.
Bringing on 2 to 3 younger players and selling them all at once (or letting their contracts run down) is not a good idea as we have to regularly rebuild.
If the rumours on Lopez are true then the bringing on youngsters who can be taken by Leeds etc is another risk..

Have I missed something?

Jamie Hanson, pursued and chased by KR and has shown nothing to make me think he’s better than what we have. Now playing in defence because KR watched a video of him playing there? Good job we did our homework!

I think it is fair to assume from KR’s recent comments that he didn’t ‘pursue or chase’ Hanson.
After Tuesday’s game KR described Hanson as ‘an expensive fullback’

Isn't Browne one of KRs numerpus crocks.

Yes, he WAS. But at the moment he is fit and showing what he can do - which is why (in another thread) I expressed the hope that the club can keep him going. Which is not a given of course.

The issue, of course, is that it is the end of November and the season started in August. Signing a loan player who is injured and takes four months to get fit enough to show what he can do is either pretty unlucky (although he seems to have repeated the trick with Mackie to some degree) or a bit daft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom