General Jan transfer window

We are in danger of conflating two unrelated issues.

Fosu and Baptiste were replaced at the start of the window with wide and central midfield players.
We then had offers for a right-sided defender and central attackers rejected.

The two issues are unconnected. If KR had found players in the two positions he needed (who wanted to join and were available) then we would have signed those players.

Maybe the board are understandably nervous about going to the championship and the costs/debt this would create, assuming our current player budget is c2m per season,this would need to rise four fold to give us any chance? Brentford have just spend c3m on two players who are probably not considered starters- i think this demonstrates the gap between lge 1 and championship running cost? Just a thought?

whilst perhaps true that inferred gap existed when the aim for promotion comments were made which implies it was a throw away comment rather than a well thought out one which again from shrewd people would be daft.
It's not like you can pick and chose when to get promoted as football just does not work like that, as a fan you have to have some dream, some hope and whilst there was a feel good factor the novelty and realizing it's Southend,Colchesters of this world every week would soon wear off. (with respect to them)

We are in danger of conflating two unrelated issues.

Fosu and Baptiste were replaced at the start of the window with wide and central midfield players.
We then had offers for a right-sided defender and central attackers rejected.

The two issues are unconnected. If KR had found players in the two positions he needed (who wanted to join and were available) then we would have signed those players.

Except for being told at that time and before that we do not have to sell and only exceptional offer would change that and Zaki subsequently informing we did not have to sell they chose to

He seemed to clarify it by saying that the current operating loss is £3m ( not sure whether that includes the paying off of the service charge backlog and the training ground additional costs).
So there have been additional costs. The £3m operating loss is pretty worrying g in itself I would think though.

It could suggest these loans aren't a cheap option in terms of wages etc as well.

Maybe the board are understandably nervous about going to the championship and the costs/debt this would create, assuming our current player budget is c2m per season,this would need to rise four fold to give us any chance? Brentford have just spend c3m on two players who are probably not considered starters- i think this demonstrates the gap between lge 1 and championship running cost? Just a thought?
Another person who has fallen victim to believing that promotion will somehow force people to spend a certain amount of money, as though they have no control over it what so ever, thus leading to financial armageddon.

Considering so many clubs have been promoted to the Championship over the years and ultimately come back down again repeatedly - Wigan and Rotherham have virtually made an entire business model out of it in the last five or six years - it’s staggering that there are still football clubs left!

Cue people mentioning Bolton and Bury en masse, neither of which have got absolutely anything to do with anything related to this topic, and whose financial troubles are and were in no way at all connected to being promoted from League One.

Amongst all of the discussions , the words Luton Town ring loud in my ears. Walked this league and now due to minimal investment and the restrictions of their crap "ground"are spiralling back to League 1. Promotion will massively escalate the investment required to sustain Championship Football, are we as a club including the board , prepared /willing to support this ride. I've yet to be convinced .

Except for being told at that time and before that we do not have to sell and only exceptional offer would change that and Zaki subsequently informing we did not have to sell they chose to
Would you have preferred a press release reminding Championship clubs that we make an operating loss of £3m and will therefore always be open to offers on our players, however derisory?

Look, I get it. We chose to sell. That choice was made on the board's subjective valuation of the two players. What you or I deem to be 'exceptional' money is moot.

It's important to note that release clauses exist for a reason - to release the player from a contract, for a pre-agreed fee, should they desire. Both players wanted to move. We are going for promotion. Hanging on to players who have mentally checked out of the building serves neither club nor player very well.

Amongst all of the discussions , the words Luton Town ring loud in my ears. Walked this league and now due to minimal investment and the restrictions of their crap "ground"are spiralling back to League 1. Promotion will massively escalate the investment required to sustain Championship Football, are we as a club including the board , prepared /willing to support this ride. I've yet to be convinced .
I disagree.
Luton may have walked the league, but they have had 2 managerial changes.
I reckon that with Nathan Joned staying they would have been far more competitive .
Charlton went up via the play offs and should stay up with not huge investment...

Well if the Board aren't, then it rather puts the joy of Saturday's result into perspective. Tiger is on record as saying he wants to take us to the Championship. The more recent statements are a little at odds with that.

Would you have preferred a press release reminding Championship clubs that we make an operating loss of £3m and will therefore always be open to offers on our players, however derisory?

Look, I get it. We chose to sell. That choice was made on the board's subjective valuation of the two players. What you or I deem to be 'exceptional' money is moot.

It's important to note that release clauses exist for a reason - to release the player from a contract, for a pre-agreed fee, should they desire. Both players wanted to move. We are going for promotion. Hanging on to players who have mentally checked out of the building serves neither club nor player very well.

i was referring to comments that the deals had already been agreed earlier in the window which given the boards stance at that time makes it worse

it keeps switching from earlier i the month to very late with no time to boost the squad bids failed etc and some wonder why a few of us have become wary and concerned.

Well if the Board aren't, then it rather puts the joy of Saturday's result into perspective. Tiger is on record as saying he wants to take us to the Championship. The more recent statements are a little at odds with that.

Exactly you (the board) can keep spinning things but you need a damn good memory

I reckon we have made circa £1m from cup runs.
With a running loss of around £2m. It has helped an awful lot but wont have covered the losses.
[/QUOTE

Well I guess we will just have to win it and get promotion through the play offs that will give us two trips to wembley and promotion windfall, this will help to balance some books ??

Exactly you (the board) can keep spinning things but you need a damn good memory
I do believe Tiger wants to take us into the championship! Only a few chairman in div1 would say and want it but it's got to be steady progress. Perhaps at the recent discussions on transfers etc they said they were having Zaki thought let's reduce our losses by 1-2m
Whatever happens we can't be sure of promotion whatever we dom

i was referring to comments that the deals had already been agreed earlier in the window which given the boards stance at that time makes it worse

it keeps switching from earlier i the month to very late with no time to boost the squad bids failed etc and some wonder why a few of us have become wary and concerned.
Don't you believe signings were being planned for a couple of months but didn't work out?

Don't you believe signings were being planned for a couple of months but didn't work out?

You can't go from no players will leave to we knew they were going so hence holland Browne etc so which is it?

so Gavin Whyte leaves and suddenly we get incomings which we're asked to believe were coming anyway and we were in a far bigger financial mess then

Fosu and Baptiste we are now asked by some to believe were already known to be going so we signed some in advance but we could not get the Rb and striker needed and wanted by our manager.

so we got the replacements for the 2 going well in advance but never got the other 2 needed over the line just unlucky i guess or some rivals got very lucky.

You can't go from no players will leave to we knew they were going so hence holland Browne etc so which is it?

so Gavin Whyte leaves and suddenly we get incomings which we're asked to believe were coming anyway and we were in a far bigger financial mess then

Fosu and Baptiste we are now asked by some to believe were already known to be going so we signed some in advance but we could not get the Rb and striker needed and wanted by our manager.

so we got the replacements for the 2 going well in advance but never got the other 2 needed over the line just unlucky i guess or some rivals got very lucky.

Which strikers or right backs did our rivals get that we should have been in for?

I disagree.
Luton may have walked the league, but they have had 2 managerial changes.
I reckon that with Nathan Joned staying they would have been far more competitive .
Charlton went up via the play offs and should stay up with not huge investment...
I read an interview with Luton’s CO the other week and he said that they refused to compete with some of the lunacy of spending that goes on in the Championship. It was along the lines of that there is no other business that allows you to lose £39 million over 3 seasons like some clubs are doing. They have a modest budget and are sticking to it regardless.

Another person who has fallen victim to believing that promotion will somehow force people to spend a certain amount of money, as though they have no control over it what so ever, thus leading to financial armageddon.

Considering so many clubs have been promoted to the Championship over the years and ultimately come back down again repeatedly - Wigan and Rotherham have virtually made an entire business model out of it in the last five or six years - it’s staggering that there are still football clubs left!

Cue people mentioning Bolton and Bury en masse, neither of which have got absolutely anything to do with anything related to this topic, and whose financial troubles are and were in no way at all connected to being promoted from League One.
Luton don’t seem to have made many signings and are consequently bottom, though they will probably be enriched by their season in the championship, as you say . Bet we’ve enjoyed our season more than they have though.

Again I’d prefer to be in the championship rather than league 1 ok unless you get to the premiership the cost of improving the squad wages would way out score the income but if we keep to are league 1 budget get promoted season ticket prices will increase as well as the season ticket numbers increasing attendances making us more attractive to the released prem academy players Scottish Irish league 2 etc ok will probably get relegated again but will automatically be more equipped to go back up again with more dollor in the bank and better players to sell and make a profit. Ok I get all this will probably not happen but it could work and will support the argument that Zaki and tiger should with the right plan want to get promoted

Back
Top Bottom