General Jan transfer window

This is the tiring part of transfers in the modern game. Someone says they paid X for a player, then someone says that it’s actually X + Y, but there’s no way of knowing what Y either is or means. There are all sorts of crazy clauses in deals up and down the pyramid that don’t really mean a thing. Some are quite standard, such as a bit more for this many games, or this many goals, or you get this much for this many international games, this much for promotion etc, but there are some that are just never going to happen. We could have a clause in there that says if Brentford get promoted to the PL, then stay up for three seasons and Shandon plays five games for England in the process, then we get an extra million quid. Great - what’s the likelihood?

End of the day, clauses are all dependant on things going your way. You are essentially agreeing to toss a coin and chance your luck. The bottom line fee is still king, especially at this level. That’s what you have to judge deals on.

Brentford are decent at adding in pretty big sell ons - but that up front fee is awful. Whoever drove the deal, on the surface, hasn't done a great job

This is the tiring part of transfers in the modern game. Someone says they paid X for a player, then someone says that it’s actually X + Y, but there’s no way of knowing what Y either is or means. There are all sorts of crazy clauses in deals up and down the pyramid that don’t really mean a thing. Some are quite standard, such as a bit more for this many games, or this many goals, or you get this much for this many international games, this much for promotion etc, but there are some that are just never going to happen. We could have a clause in there that says if Brentford get promoted to the PL, then stay up for three seasons and Shandon plays five games for England in the process, then we get an extra million quid. Great - what’s the likelihood?

End of the day, clauses are all dependant on things going your way. You are essentially agreeing to toss a coin and chance your luck. The bottom line fee is still king, especially at this level. That’s what you have to judge deals on.
And when do you pull your trousers back up?

Has he made it clear he wants to go? No one know. Even with sell ons a few million up front is poor
We don't of course, but he may not want to push to leave, but when told about the offers, he may well have looked and thought, yep, I fancy that - Brentford have been on his radar for sometime I'd think. The reported fee is lower than ideal, but at this moment, we don't know how it is structured either or when escalators kick in.

Only £2.5m plus add ons for Baptiste is incredibly disappointing. He's got so much potential we surely could have held out for double this. Especially as we "didn't need to sell". Add ons are pie in the sky, a total gamble, we could earn a fortune if he fulfills his potential or it could be the square route of f*** all if he suffers more injuries.

Only £2.5m plus add ons for Baptiste is incredibly disappointing. He's got so much potential we surely could have held out for double this. Especially as we "didn't need to sell". Add ons are pie in the sky, a total gamble, we could earn a fortune if he fulfills his potential or it could be the square route of f*** all if he suffers more injuries.
Yes but the fee may reflect your last 15 words if he has another serious injury eg worth f**k all.

No but I have heard of another outgoing possibly and its not Agyei. If it happens Robbo won't be the only one that leaves the club. I will be giving away my season ticket and never returning under tigers regime.
Who?

And another. We don't know if any other deals offered any more concrete money on it. Perhaps Brentford was the right offer and we have to be realistic in terms of what we can expect for a player that is still relatively inexperienced. Would rather Baptiste would have stayed, but as such, we can't force anyone to stay either

Nothing on the horizon in regards to incomings.
Lights off, let’s go and get 3 points tomorrow.
Anyone still think Tiger and co are "going for it"? They are masters of spin..

If i had to speculate, id suggest a few weeks ago a stadium/property deal was progressing well, hence the enthusiasm. Its hit a blocker, hence Zakis abrupt comments, and its about getting some cash back over the next few months.

Back
Top Bottom