General Jan transfer window

If we get a right back and a striker in, and Agyei goes on loan as a result, then at least in terms of bodies the squad isn’t any smaller than at the start of January and we’re another month closer to players like Henry, Woodburn, Taylor, Forde, Hanson, Thorne etc being available. It looks like two or three of those might already be back now / by next week, so that’s positive. In terms of where we are regarding the like-for-like quality of the ins and outs, we won’t know until we know exactly who comes in if anybody.

If nothing else it’s going to be an intriguing evening. Pop the kettle on.
Kettle!?!?! Fill the fridge with beer, i think

Thorne maybe not a 'new body ' but he can actually play now so like a new signing
You may as well claim Henry and Hanson as new signings in that case. They were injured four weeks ago but are apparently now fit. Taylor’s fitness has been in and out all month, as has Brannagan’s. Where is the line? Are they veering wildly between being like new signings and it being as though they’ve departed? The fact that players drop in and out of availability is what makes the overall number of players on the books important, and if Fosu and Baptiste go today then we have less players than we did at Doncaster on NYD.

That is totally separate to things like fitness and injury lists.

You may as well claim Henry and Hanson as new signings in that case. They were injured four weeks ago but are apparently now fit. Taylor’s fitness has been in and out all month, as has Brannagan’s. Where is the line? Are they veering wildly between being like new signings and it being as though they’ve departed? The fact that players drop in and out of availability is what makes the overall number of players on the books important, and if Fosu and Baptiste go today then we have less players than we did at Doncaster on NYD.

That is totally separate to things like fitness and injury lists.
Not really in Thornes case , or indeed Napas . After a complete lay off of months unable to play at all Thorne is a fresh player. A little bit of a flap I detect.

what?

so we get a call...hi xx from xxx here i know you accepted 3m+ (coughs) for your lad but we'll give you 5m what do you say !!!! 2nd line rings yyy here will give you 6m

ok then me no think so

It could happen say Celtic who I believe were interested and West Ham mentioned on here are keen
Celtic say as Brentford don’t want him we will give you 3 million
West Ham then enquire we say we have a bid in for 3 million so if WHU really want him they would come back with a higher offer
This happens all the time

Not really in Thornes case , or indeed Napas . After a complete lay off of months unable to play at all Thorne is a fresh player. A little bit of a flap I detect.
No mate, I’m merely talking about counting and numbers. Nothing more than that.

I for one welcome the return to fitness of any and all players, and am very much looking forward to tomorrow, Tuesday and indeed an action packed month filled with fixtures!

I guess any of that depends on why the Brentford deal wasn't done. If it was because he failed the medical then the phone won't be ringing off the hook. If he decided it wasn't for him, or the personal terms weren't to his liking then maybe.

It could happen say Celtic who I believe were interested and West Ham mentioned on here are keen
Celtic say as Brentford don’t want him we will give you 3 million
West Ham then enquire we say we have a bid in for 3 million so if WHU really want him they would come back with a higher offer
This happens all the time

Whilst i do not accept what you say and putting that aside one moment

Would it not then have been better for us to wait into today for a bidding war before letting the football world know our selling price?

Whilst i do not accept what you say and putting that aside one moment

Would it not then have been better for us to wait into today for a bidding war before letting the football world know our selling price?

TBF, the "price" for Baptiste has not been let out by us. The only comment from the club has been "£3million for [Fosu and Baptiste] was wide of the mark, but the real figure was simply at a level they could not ignore."

TBF, the "price" for Baptiste has not been let out by us. The only comment from the club has been "£3million for [Fosu and Baptiste] was wide of the mark, but the real figure was simply at a level they could not ignore."

True but the various media outlets report 3m and they're not likely to be too far away but that does not alter the fact that no owner is going to sanction a bid beyond it unless their bonkers.
from our side we've agreed a fee and it's up to the player to agree terms, knowing agents he's likely come back and said his client can get a bit more dough at another club but not more for the club imho

I think there is still a good chance we will be playing them in the championship next season.
Not a chance with 9 competitive games in February.

Begs the question who made the call to include 2 rearranged fixtures in the month. The EFL or the Board? Cash flow perhaps?

Just show`s the mercenary nature of the game.
Fosu is one of those players who makes crowds buzz when he gets the ball. Obviously had a good agent writing in the £750k buy out clause.
Maybe whoever it is at the club that reads & signs these contracts needs some training?
Baptiste will be a genuine propspect, lets hope we have set a good chunk of a sell on clause, could be a massive windfall in 2 years or so.
Maybe we got to the point with Fosu in the summer that he wanted bigger wages than we were prepared to pay (e.g. he was a free agent I believe and it was to some degree a risk based on his form at Charlton last season) so the compromise with him and his agent was "OK, we'll only offer you x % of what you want.... but if you play well and get yourself in the shop window we'll agree to a buy out clause of Y"... just a guess, but can't remember many other recent players with this clause at our club.

I guess we also have to remember how underwhelmed many of us were with his signing last June. If that scenario above was true I reckon quite a few of us would have thought it was a wise move when he was announced.

Agree on Shandon, let's hope we've got £3.5 - £4 million for him alone (so £4.25 - £4.75 from Brentford for the pair of them) and we have clauses for additional payments if they get promoted, 10 - 20% sell on clause and additional payments for 50, 100, 200 appearances if he stays at Brentford. Not sure how these transfers ever work, but would hope that would be what we pushed for!

Back
Top Bottom