General Jan transfer window

How’s it Robinson’s fault it’s clearly been done without him having much off a say. If your pis**d off vent your frustration at the board not robbo
If that was the case I think KR would look for a different job

Please dont let us lose Rob Dickie today ? A good reassuring interview in todays OM as he approaches is 100th game. A great milestone and he deserves all the accolades he receives. If he’s out on the pitch tomorrow acknowledging the applause for his important day I’ll feel a lot happier. All depends if we receive a bid and what the money men decide I suppose..

Oh boy he really is back and seemingly worse than ever

So we bring in 3 players and lose 3 and the world has ended. We have lost an impressive but inconsistent winger who the club could not avoid selling and a youngster who has started 16 league games. Not knocking anything about Shandon because he is a hell of a talent but this really is not the end of the world

The reality is we are a loss making football club with fans who think we should have owners just covering the costs and losses. It does not work like that at at our level pretty much all clubs are selling clubs.

We have got what look like sizeable fees and hopefully with add ons and have a.sqiad that has the depth to replace them

Yes some of our players are loans but this season is about the next 4 months, lets worry about next season in the summer

And if people really have already decided to not renew a season ticket because we have got upwards of £3m for a young player with 16 league starts in his career and 3 major injuries then it's their choice but I suspect they will be in a very small minority and probably looking for a reason not to renew

How about we show the confidence in those players who are here rather than writing them off ?

I think it’s mainly down to the value we’ve sold them for and not getting in a striker/RB which virtually appeared done deals a few weeks ago which I think has got the fans back up.

Add to that all the talk of not letting players go and strengthening the squad, Karl saying that he knows what’s needed to get promotion from this league, so basically saying to the board back me, and I guess if feels like the opposite at the moment.

Like others have said, get a RB and and decent striker in today and I guess people will feel more positive, so let’s see!

Last edited:
RO confirming this morning that O’Donnell has turned us down as he doesn't want to move south of the border.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Oh boy he really is back and seemingly worse than ever

So we bring in 3 players and lose 3 and the world has ended. We have lost an impressive but inconsistent winger who the club could not avoid selling and a youngster who has started 16 league games. Not knocking anything about Shandon because he is a hell of a talent but this really is not the end of the world

The reality is we are a loss making football club with fans who think we should have owners just covering the costs and losses. It does not work like that at at our level pretty much all clubs are selling clubs.

We have got what look like sizeable fees and hopefully with add ons and have a.sqiad that has the depth to replace them

Yes some of our players are loans but this season is about the next 4 months, lets worry about next season in the summer

And if people really have already decided to not renew a season ticket because we have got upwards of £3m for a young player with 16 league starts in his career and 3 major injuries then it's their choice but I suspect they will be in a very small minority and probably looking for a reason not to renew

How about we show the confidence in those players who are here rather than writing them off ?
But what striker do we have, Taylor is quality but not fit yet. I love Mackie and his shithousery but doesn’t score enough and as for Agyei KR lay as well send him out on loan as he doesn’t start him, Oh wait a minute we have a good Midfield they can score, it’s obvious that a RB and a striker are what are needed to help this club it’s been pretty much stated daily by various posters on here and on FB and KR is saying it’s late in the window and can’t see anymore incoming before the window shuts.
Yes I know we have to sell to survive and I’m not worried about Fosu and Baptiste going as long as we brought in the 2 players we needed to compliment our squad.
This has been our best season since we’ve been at the Grenoble road, can’t see why the board didn’t strengthen to try and achieve the goal of reaching the championship, so with what has happened in this window yes we pace and possible goals in a it team, but have the board made an effort to strengthen? Partly yes but completely no.

Will Grigg is a Sunderland player. Hasn't scored much.
Sunderland bringing in two today. Antoine Semenyo from Bristol City and Bobby Duncan ex Liverpool from Fiorentina. They are not interested in James Vaughan who played for them previously.

Sunderland bringing in two today. Antoine Semenyo from Bristol City and Bobby Duncan ex Liverpool from Fiorentina. They are not interested in James Vaughan who played for them previously.
And I wouldn’t be interested in Vaughn either. We looked at him last season and Kenny Jacket nipped in and took him but why a load of crap hardly scored and hardly played

Last edited:
After yesterday’s disappointment in losing two players ie Baptiste and Fosu, I remain optimistic about today, and believe we will bring in one or two players. I still think we will send one out on loan too!

Forum members can make accusations about the board and management team not caring and selling for the sake of selling. We make it clear to all young players we sign, that we will give them game time, and develop them further. We also tell them that if a reasonable bid comes in, that is right for the football club then we will not stand in there way of moving on, and progressing up the pyramid! That’s a massive pull for us, which is why we get to see such young talented players like Brannagan and Dickie week in week out. It also helps in the
Loan market too, because we have a great reputation for looking after other clubs young up and coming talents. I’m very proud of this football club, and look forward to enjoying the rest of what has been an excellent season so far.

Let’s hope for a couple of klaxons today, and yesterday will be forgotten.

200k for a 27yr old who is ooc in 6 months seemed like a panic buy to me.
Not disappointed if true.
On the plus side though, I guess it shows we will spend money IF the right players are available. Thats the key issue though - what players are available now who could improve us? I‘m still struggling to think of any obvious strikers other than Grigg and thats now dead in the water. Bogle maybe..?

Given that he spurned our approaches earlier in the window, not so much a panic buy, but a PR buy methinks......

James Vaughan has already signed for Tranmere.

Been stewing on this and got some thoughts about the players themselves...

In both cases, KR and the club showed the faith.

In the case of Fosu, he was in the wilderness with Charlton, and KR gave him the opportunity to re-establish himself. KR puts him front and centre of the starting line up (including the high profile cup games) bigs him up and away he goes.

In Baptistes case, similar stuff, makes him a regular starter (inc the cup games, ahead if more senior pros), talks him up, and sticks with him through a long term injury.

Both give us half a season.

In Fos case, it seems it was short termism from the start, from the player with the unfathomable release clause which the club agreed to...I wonder if there were verbal assurances that this wouldn't come to pass.

In Baptistes case, first major offers and he's gone.

Can't help thinking that neither player understands what the word United means. Half a season? And not just that, but half a season where the club has made great strides, looking at a promotion chase.

It's clear that neither had the faith to stick to the plan and took the opportunity to cash their chips instead of giving it everything until May...perhaps putting themselves in the spot to play teams like Brentford week in week out.

KR can say the players didn't want to leave, perhaps it was the board, in which case I'd question their drive for promotion. Even if they say that is their aim, they can't deny that the timing and choice to sell would affect our ability to do that.

So, to summarise...disappointed (but not necessarily surprised) with both players and disappointed with the board.

As Partridge says, that was a negative and right now I need two positives. One to cancel out the negative and the other...just so I can have a positive.

Last edited:
James Vaughan signed for Tranmere two days ago

RO confirming this morning that O’Donnell has turned us down as he doesn't want to move south of the border.
We've been talking about O'Donnell for a month. You'd have thought we could have found out he didn't want to move south, by some means, weeks ago, if that's really the case. Maybe we just didn't offer him enough in wages....

• React
Reactions: Ian
Back
Top Bottom