General Jan transfer window

I meant our "bids" for Cadden etc. In the same way that everyone said wed got way more than publicised for Whyte, it then became clear that we really hadnt.

It makes sense at a club like ours to sell, but please Tiger, no more bullshit about "going for it" as its an utter joke.

We didn't make a £1m bid for Cadden as was said KR.

All my years supporting Oxford it's annoying, years ago 1994 I think Leeds away Magilton scored a late winner. Stayed in Leeds that night brought the local paper next morning still gloating to the locals and think if my memory serves me right he was sold go Southampton the next day.
I was gutted I'm still Oxford though and always will be it's their loss.

People need to chill a little I feel. It was unimaginable a few years ago for that we would be a club where every transfer window there were rumours about our players going for millions. We are now that club. We have positioned ourselves as a club that truly develops players and then are able to sell on for profits. We develop youth and bring young players from other clubs in with, I'm sure, the major selling point being to those players and their representatives that we will develop you and won't stand in your way when bigger clubs come calling. People can bang on about lack of ambition etc but the reality is we are a L1 club, with average attendances and income, who pay extortionate rent and have no assets other than the players. While it's nice to think that rich owners are going to invest in us the fact is we seem to have found ourselves a sustainable model, the only one we could have, that I would argue is keeping the club going and out of trouble. I'm gutted to see players of that quality go but I'm actually quite proud of the model we have developed and the reputation we have. To be able to look at the premiership and championship etc and see the catalogue of players we as a club have helped develop is amazing.
This line about ‘how far we’ve come’ is a bit redundant imo. Yes we have come on a lot and 3m would have been unimaginable riches not that long ago, but the goalposts have changed - we ARE now a L1 club pushing for promotion. that fee simply does not represent Baptiste’s value in this market. Various pundits and stats people on this forum and elsewhere who have forgotten vastly more about football than most of us will ever know have stated that this guy is the real deal. It really doesn’t make any sense.

I take your point on the ‘we’re a financially struggling club’ but as has been pointed out a number of times already - we were told we did not NEED to sell. We’ve had more money from cup runs, stadium sell outs and TV money this year than we have in ages, and we were told they weren’t even budgeted for. I’m no conspiracy theorist, and I think many would agree the club is being generally run very well at the moment, but this just doesn’t make sense. Furthermore, Baptiste’s value in particular will literally only go up. He’s been getting better and better the more he’s beeen in the team, putting in match winning displays against Lincoln and Wimbledon just recently. Unless we drastically needed this amount RIGHT NOW, it seems astonishingly shortsighted and damaging to sell him for this price at this moment in time.

I also agree with a previous poster - KR mightsay that it’s more than 3m for the two, but many non partisan media outlets are saying it is. It’s in his interests to soften the blow to the fan base. I believe the reports.

I think most people are well aware we are a selling club and have to sell our best players for profit to keep the club alive. We've done this before very successfully, but we sold our stars in the summer. Selling them in the last two days of the january window, with barely time to replace, and whilst we're sat the closest we've ever been to the championship, is a big kick in the teeth, that's why many will be unhappy. Even more so if it's under market value, when clubs typically have to pay more to acquire players in the January window.

I guess the bid is somewhere between £5m-7m which is extremely disappointing if that’s the case. Just when we thought we were getting strengthened for a promotion push, we get weakened. As others have said, whoever we get there will be another bedding in period and the cycle will repeat next season if we get any success. A sad day for the club which shows the glaring lack of ambition the board have for this club.

I wouldn't mind so much losing Baptiste, if it's for £4m+ (remains up in the air, if we trust what they're saying is true) but surely they should have planned for Fosu knowing his release clause was only 750k.

This has been common knowledge for a long long time, and they say we have no time to bring in replacements? Or anyone?! Surely there should be a long list of potential targets to go out and at least test the waters with, with the money we've just been guaranteed.

The majority of deals are completed on deadline day so why can't we get out there and save this promotion bid?

I had a recruiter in league 1 tell me of the release back in November...everyone knew about it. Still, a quick flip to make some money in 6 months. Not so fussed with Fosu...surely has to be silly money for Baptiste?

F**king Brentford tho... Brentford. I really hate the rollercoaster of emotions following Oxford. If they wouldn't of lied through their teeth saying we dont need to sell it wouldn't be half as bad but I honestly feel like they've let us down. How can we trust a word they say from now on?
Agree 100% ^^

Wow - utter disbelief in some of the comments on here. We are a seeming club; that’s the model. Everyone was fine when we were doing well then as soon Asa we have a blip the normal forum idiots crawl out of the woodwork. Pathetic, embarrassing and shows a total lack of understanding as to where we are as a club.

Baptiste young, unproven and injury prone, Fosu inconsistent with a release clause.

Let’s judge where we are this time tomorrow!
Where we are as a club? Yes, let's wait until end of the deadline for sure. But if we don't sign a proven striker and a rb, then I look forward to hearing from you on how our season won't fizzle out. What gets me is that we have been so close to getting into the automatics, we just needed to stop playing Mackie earlier, have had a replacement striker to back taylor up, and a RB. It's called ambition, some of us have it, some don't... Some are just happy to plod. Yes Baptiste wasn't going into the starting pack for us, but in the current climate £2.25m is way too cheap for a player with his talent/potential.

F**king Brentford tho... Brentford. I really hate the rollercoaster of emotions following Oxford. If they wouldn't of lied through their teeth saying we dont need to sell it wouldn't be half as bad but I honestly feel like they've let us down. How can we trust a word they say from now on?
You mean that Brentford side currently pushing for promotion to the premier League and who will be playing in a lovely new stadium....yeah, why would a player go to them..

Gutted about Shandon more than Fosu who has gone off the boil recently, probably due to him knowing he was going. Have to go all out for Grigg and a right back now.

This line about ‘how far we’ve come’ is a bit redundant imo. Yes we have come on a lot and 3m would have been unimaginable riches not that long ago, but the goalposts have changed - we ARE now a L1 club pushing for promotion. that fee simply does not represent Baptiste’s value in this market. Various pundits and stats people on this forum and elsewhere who have forgotten vastly more about football than most of us will ever know have stated that this guy is the real deal. It really doesn’t make any sense.

I take your point on the ‘we’re a financially struggling club’ but as has been pointed out a number of times already - we were told we did not NEED to sell. We’ve had more money from cup runs, stadium sell outs and TV money this year than we have in ages, and we were told they weren’t even budgeted for. I’m no conspiracy theorist, and I think many would agree the club is being generally run very well at the moment, but this just doesn’t make sense. Furthermore, Baptiste’s value in particular will literally only go up. He’s been getting better and better the more he’s beeen in the team, putting in match winning displays against Lincoln and Wimbledon just recently. Unless we drastically needed this amount RIGHT NOW, it seems astonishingly shortsighted and damaging to sell him for this price at this moment in time.

I also agree with a previous poster - KR mightsay that it’s more than 3m for the two, but many non partisan media outlets are saying it is. It’s in his interests to soften the blow to the fan base. I believe the reports.
What fee? Do you know the exact fee? What is the fee that represents a 21 year old with bags of talent but having had two major injuries? I take the point about the club saying not needing to sell but I honestly believe we do.

That
Wait till tomorrow because if the 3 million fee for both is true then if I was a owner of a club I’m thinking I could get Dickie for a million and Brannagan for about 2 I’d be getting pretty excited at potential bargains tbh. The chairman clearly doesn’t even negotiate deals sounds to me the first bid for whyte was accepted and the same with Baptiste and Fosu
That is a growing concern, there seems no real football person behind the scenes. Who did the valuation on the 3 players that have been sold so far, if players leave and you get a good deal then that softens the blow, but these 3 leaving look decidedly cheap.

brassmonkey said:
Its being reported that they have both gone for 3m. So baptiste for 2.25m. robbo is saying we recieved more than quoted as a pr exercise imo to try and appease us.

We've had our trousers down at 2.25. Laughable.

Funny how someone comes up with a £3m figure out of nowhere and everyone believes it.

The club will move past this I'm sure, we're still well stocked with talent (for the next day or so) and who knows...perhaps there will be a silver lining tomorrow.

That said, I'm genuinely sad that we wont get to see either player do some of the stuff they have done for us this season. Both players have had some exceptional moments where you just have to appreciate their ability and that you were there to see it, first hand.

Ah well.

Just to throw it out there...Brentford were meant to sign Baptiste before his injury so it’s not great shock they have come back in for him. Fosu has a release clause so not much the club can do if it’s activated. I have a feeling Fosu may regret this move though IMO.

no need for some of the dramatics from some fans. Especially towards the owners. The makes losses every year and there has been a lot of investment gone into the club so I don’t blame tiger recouping some of the money.

That's fine but then don't keep saying aspire to make the championship, going all out for promotion etc..Don't forget most loanees will be gone in the summer and the season ticket push will begin again and the rebuilding has to start again.

Brand Oxford was knocking on the door but just like the ad people have gone away

Back
Top Bottom