General Jan transfer window

Laughable, there is a line between investing and being sensible with your money.

We have a core of assets (that Pep totally tore apart) in Dickie, Brannagan, Baptiste...12 to 18 months it will be Moore also. We are developing our own players, hense the squad is full of ~15million worth of talent that is ours...supplemented by quality loans.

We don't have the finances to secure every player on permanents...I think our recruitment team has adequately shown that they have the ability to acquire and develop talent.

To add to this, January is a tough time to add permanent signings - a majority of deals are loans

To add to this, January is a tough time to add permanent signings - a majority of deals are loans.

Laughable, how do other
teams manage it then?

Laughable, there is a line between investing and being sensible with your money.

We have a core of assets (that Pep totally tore apart) in Dickie, Brannagan, Baptiste...12 to 18 months it will be Moore also. We are developing our own players, hense the squad is full of ~15million worth of talent that is ours...supplemented by quality loans.

We don't have the finances to secure every player on permanents...I think our recruitment team has adequately shown that they have the ability to acquire and develop talent.

To add to this, January is a tough time to add permanent signings - a majority of deals are loans

I ageee it is a tough time to add permanent players and loans do look like the only option, but I wish we could invest in a player or two as another poster alluded to end of the season the loans go back and the process starts all over again. But no 2 seasons are the same so we don’t make promotion this season away go the loans and a possibility of 1 or 2 of our players going, it could lead to next season being a relegation battle.

I watched Sam Rickets interview post match after the FA cup and to listen to him say we own our training ground we own our football stadium and it was that moment when I thought we can’t compete it’s the bloody stadium again.
We need a quality striker as you know I say this often enough, Taylor isn’t enough ( fitness ) Mackie won’t score and Agyei won’t play Much yes we have Browne but is that enough.

Look at the scum where they are and the reason why they are where they are Yates and Doyle, yatess has gone back to Rotherham in the meantime they get Hope who scores on his Debut they then get back Yates with a good possibility that Doyle will return thats three quality strikers, they have good midfield and defence why can they afford players that must be on quite a bit although they scum will pay a proportion as they are loans.
It goes back to the ground again not owning and not generating enough income for the club.

This is our best season and best chance we’ve had since we’ve been at the Kastad to get promotion to the Championship and yes o do know it will cost a lot to stay in the championship but we would probably attract good investment that would go along way to making us sustainable.
A striker and another RB is what is required in this window.

Which is kind of the point, Mackie offers something different. Not enough to be first or second choice striker, imo, but there is certainly a place for some to occupy the opposition CBs and create space for others. Mackie's has to be a selfless one....he actually makes some decent runs to make the space for others, but of course that goes largely un-noticed. He isn't strong in the air, he isn't a goal scorer and he isn't great at holding up the ball. Mackie is perfectly *fine* as 3rd choice striker...I don't think anyone expected him to make 42 league appearances last year and 24 this season
perhaps 25...

• React
Reactions: Ian
To add to this, January is a tough time to add permanent signings - a majority of deals are loans.

Laughable, how do other
teams manage it then?

My laughable comment was around you suggesting we haven't invested in the squad.

Which teams have added decent permanent signing this window?

I ageee it is a tough time to add permanent players and loans do look like the only option, but I wish we could invest in a player or two as another poster alluded to end of the season the loans go back and the process starts all over again. But no 2 seasons are the same so we don’t make promotion this season away go the loans and a possibility of 1 or 2 of our players going, it could lead to next season being a relegation battle.

I watched Sam Rickets interview post match after the FA cup and to listen to him say we own our training ground we own our football stadium and it was that moment when I thought we can’t compete it’s the bloody stadium again.
We need a quality striker as you know I say this often enough, Taylor isn’t enough ( fitness ) Mackie won’t score and Agyei won’t play Much yes we have Browne but is that enough.

Look at the scum where they are and the reason why they are where they are Yates and Doyle, yatess has gone back to Rotherham in the meantime they get Hope who scores on his Debut they then get back Yates with a good possibility that Doyle will return thats three quality strikers, they have good midfield and defence why can they afford players that must be on quite a bit although they scum will pay a proportion as they are loans.
It goes back to the ground again not owning and not generating enough income for the club.

This is our best season and best chance we’ve had since we’ve been at the Kastad to get promotion to the Championship and yes o do know it will cost a lot to stay in the championship but we would probably attract good investment that would go along way to making us sustainable.
A striker and another RB is what is required in this window.

Would this be ok?

Are Sunderland going to take a massive hit on the 4mill they spent not so long ago?

Would you be comfortable spending loads of money on a striker that is 28, 29 in July? This, to me, seems bonkers

Last edited:
Fine stay with loans and rebuild from scratch come the summer. That's perspective.
Rebuild in the championship with an increased wage budget, 3million in the bank (at least from going up), millions from the inevitable departure of players like Dickie etc but who knows, they may stay? All well and good making predictions but for now, let's be realistic - we have one of the best teams in the league and thats a fact.

Fine stay with loans and rebuild from scratch come the summer. That's perspective.

Players tend to only sign 2-3 year contracts anyway, if they do sign permanently. Even if you do a sign a player, there is going to be turnover every season as contracts come to an end/have little time remaining.

Laughable, how do other
teams manage it then?

Other clubs aren't scared to gamble I guess. We have made more money on cup runs than all the other teams in this league so there is no excuse why we can't.

Would this be ok?

Are Sunderland going to take a massive hit on the 4mill they spent not so long ago?

Would you be comfortable spending loads of money on a striker that is 28, 29 in July? This, to me, seems bonkers

They didn't pay £4m upfront iirc as a majority was add-ons for promotion, appearances etc. I think it was something like £1.25m upfront so still substantial though and they would have to take a hit for it to happen as would Will Grigg on his wages as well if he was going to sign for us.

Would this be ok?

Thats Robbo throwing down the gauntlet! Over to the board i guess. Grigg would be quality with the amount of chances we create.

Is he as good as what we need to get promotion?
that’s the problem. some don’t want loans but develop and play our own, which is good but then the loanee is likely to be better than who we already have so our player won’t get enough game time to progress.
it’s getting the balance right i guess

Saw the Grigg headline and thought 'that'd be good, is very do-able', then I saw that it wouldn't be a loan. Big gamble to spend what will be a considerable amount of money on a player who's looked off it for a year now.

Other clubs aren't scared to gamble I guess. We have made more money on cup runs than all the other teams in this league so there is no excuse why we can't.

And yet we will still probably lose a significant sum of money or just breakeven with that extra cup money. And loan signings aren't generally free as I expect Marcus Browne, Nathan Holland and Liam Kelly aren't on peanuts and we'll be paying a good chunk of their wages.

Thats Robbo throwing down the gauntlet! Over to the board i guess. Grigg would be quality with the amount of chances we create.

Yes I kind of getting the fealing it's not robbo that doesn't want to spend but the board, at the fans forum he said that he told tiger not to pay a million for Cadden but was laughing when he said it. I called his bluff and think it was tiger that wouldn't pay.

Saw the Grigg headline and thought 'that'd be good, is very do-able', then I saw that it wouldn't be a loan. Big gamble to spend what will be a considerable amount of money on a player who's looked off it for a year now.

He has worked and done well with KR before so KR knows how to get the best out of him which reduces the risk a bit. But then all signings are generally a risk.

Back
Top Bottom