General Jan transfer window

But that has also coincided with Henry, Brannagan and Taylor misisng big chunks of that time. It's too easy to put that blame at the feet of Sam Long when there are so many other variables.
Losing Henry and Brannagan has been massive when Cadden also going ....massive chunk gone . Long has done well .

our obsession with playing Mackie has made us look bland up top and caused us far more problems then Sam Long, ever could. You only have to look at his performance against Newcastle to see how disruptive he is to our rhythm. Constant fouling on the last man, can't turn a player and doesn't do anywhere near enough to create chances.
Agreed. As Oufcrealist has also said above, the word "liability" is now applicable.
The heart sinks when his name pops up on the starting team sheet.
I'd rather see a centre-back start up top if KR is so doubtful about Agyei.
We desperately need a striker much more than an alternative to Sam Long. Taylor is ace when he's fit, but there's clearly an injury problem and maybe a stamina problem too.

Sorry where have people said Sam Long isn't a capable defender? He's just not got the same attributes going forward as Chris Cadden.

@Shosho - Do you have any stats on our chance creation before and after Cadden? Appreciate the before and after samples will be different, but I'd be of the view that our creation of chances hasn't changed drastically. We do appear to have stalled on the "putting it in the back of the net" bit though. Something Henry can help fix.

wrote a blog on it ?

wrote a blog on it ?

I had a feeling you would have done. :D

So, am I right in saying that in essence I am correct....chance creation still strong, but less shooting accuracy and quality chances?

The kind of thing that could be remedied by having,....I dunno....a striker other than Taylor who can hit the back of the net?

I had a feeling you would have done. :D

So, am I right in saying that in essence I am correct....chance creation still strong, but less shooting accuracy and quality chances?

The kind of thing that could be remedied by having,....I dunno....a striker other than Taylor who can hit the back of the net?

Cadden going has overlapped with Henry/Brannagan being out also...all of which instrumental in creating chances.

CEC2CE33-7BEB-4E0F-89C8-EF2805E19253.jpeg

Our attacking output...in terms of the quality of shots taken has fallen (pretty small sample of 4 games). Still creating more than our opponents, but the volume of those quality chances has dropped. Pretty tough to ask strikers to consistently convert low quality opportunities...is why Fosu’s scoring has dried up

If we don't sign a striker this window and Karl keeps playing Mackie ahead of Agyei then we aren't making the play offs in my opinion. The club has made the most money in a season for years with the cup runs and sell out crowds so why is this not being invested in the current playing squad? I get we need to invest on players for the future but what about the present, we are in for a good shout to challenge for promotion and we only need a decent striker and RB cover to compete with the top teams. I find robbo's comment that he doesn't want to spend money on players a bit daft. A bit of ambition from the club is needed here, if we bail out of the play offs so be it but atleast the club gave it a shot. I'm worried if we miss out on the playoffs and finish mid table we could revert back to 6k home fans at the start of next season, where as if we lose on the play offs and make some decent signings in the summer we could continue where we are now with the attendances higher.

I think you misread his quote “I can’t waste money, it’s got to be something that makes this team better.”

Why throw good money on someone not good enough?

I was referring to Cadden with that quote. Robbo told tiger not to pay what Colombus wanted. It seems we are going down the option of getting everyone on the cheap or a loan. There is alot of strikers that would improve us but your not going to get them free or on loan in January. Maybe the bloke on the phone in was right, where he stated the board don't want us to go up as they can't afford to run us in the championship.

I was referring to Cadden with that quote. Robbo told tiger not to pay what Colombus wanted. It seems we are going down the option of getting everyone on the cheap or a loan. There is alot of strikers that would improve us but your not going to get them free or on loan in January. Maybe the bloke on the phone in was right, where he stated the board don't want us to go up as they can't afford to run us in the championship.
You're suggesting we should pay an stupidly inflated price for a player? Crew set the price so high because they know how keen we are to get Cadden. In my opinion KR was right to do what he did. Being sensible with money is not doing things on the cheap, far from it.

?

You're suggesting we should pay an stupidly inflated price for a player? Crew set the price so high because they know how keen we are to get Cadden. In my opinion KR was right to do what he did. Being sensible with money is not doing things on the cheap, far from it.

Maybe stupidly inflated price, but he would of been worth a hell of a lot more if we got promoted and had him tied to a 4 year contract. Plus since he has left we have seen why he was so valuable to us.

Maybe stupidly inflated price, but he would of been worth a hell of a lot more if we got promoted and had him tied to a 4 year contract. Plus since he has left we have seen why he was so valuable to us.
It's too much of a gamble. You have also disregarded the absence of Henry, Taylor and Brannagan. Our drop in form is not down to Cadden and Cadden alone. I do not disagree that he's a big miss but it's nuts to break the bank for him.

Jamie Mackie should basically never be on the pitch when scoring goals is more important than keeping them out.
You don’t want him on the pitch when you’re trying to keep them out either. All his constant fouling of defenders around the halfway line gives the opposition repeated chances to pump the ball into the box. Against Lincoln on Boxing Day he came on and proceeded to do nothing but give them loads of free kicks in the centre circle from which to punt, when they were one of the tallest sides we’ve seen this season and were throwing the ball into the box left, right and centre.

If Agyei goes out on loan before the deadline and a new striker of decent quality doesn’t arrive to replace him and push Mackie right down into third place, I think I’m going to prolapse.

It's too much of a gamble. You have also disregarded the absence of Henry, Taylor and Brannagan. Our drop in form is not down to Cadden and Cadden alone. I do not disagree that he's a big miss but it's nuts to break the bank for him.

I agree injuries have not helped, I have watched every home game this season and a few away and every time Cadden played he was always looking to go down the line and overlap, this meant the opposition had to shift over to the left slightly, this allowed Fosu on the left more room to do his magic. Now we have teams doubling up on Fosu and no outball to the right of are play. Long does a decent job defending but doesn't read the game like Cadden did. Karl has failed to get a replacement through the door that can play the same.

Back
Top Bottom