General Jan transfer window

To answer your question directly: I don’t know. But I’m not privy to the information about available funds, nor do I personally have the scouting network which has been operating here this season. I can only surmise that, with the money which has been suggested, we could afford a front man who would give us more options than Mackie. And yes, I realise we are in competition with other clubs. But how many of them are on the verge of promotion to the Championship?

And how many other clubs have had good cup runs in two competitions, as well as selling out their ground 4 times.

I can't remember which thread someone put this in over the weekend, but I think it summed it up perfectly: essentially, the reason we're having difficulty signing players is because we don't know what league we will be in next year. A Championship-level player, who we would want to sign, probably wouldn't come to us in case we don't get promoted, and a L1 level player, who WOULD want to sign for us, would be a wasted wage in the league above should we get promoted, where cash will already be tight enough as it is, considering the budgets we would be competing with in that division. I think it really is that simple. Loans work out best for all parties involved in our position, and frankly, I'm glad we're not being totally fiscally irresponsible and throwing money we can't afford at gambling on promotion. Even with the cup runs, I would imagine we're sailing pretty close to the wind financially as it is.

So are you saying every team pushing for promotion goes through the same problem in this transfer market in January?
A club wouldn't sign anyone in those circumstances, as the same could be said of teams facing relegation surely.

I'm not advocating it, just suggesting that this kind of deal is possible and KR has previous form.
I understand LWC but with our position with us in with a chance of promotion I would have thought KR will look at that rather than a possible stop gap.

Cadden was a big part of how we played earlier on in the season, neither Long or Hanson have the attacking ability to cause teams problems. Had Ruffs on the other side been a more offensive outlet for us I would've said that'd be ok, but it seems like we want to play a system where our fullbacks get forward and yet we don't seem to have anyone in the club who can do that.
But long and Ruffels have had decent seasons

But long and Ruffels have had decent seasons
I think that the point is that Cadden was far more if an attacking 'wing back' type of player. Nobody is saying that Long and Ruffels havent had decent seasons but to make the attacking side we need o e attacking FB.
Like Baldock and Skarz under MAPP

I think that the point is that Cadden was far more if an attacking 'wing back' type of player. Nobody is saying that Long and Ruffels havent had decent seasons but to make the attacking side we need o e attacking FB.
Like Baldock and Skarz under MAPP
Read a rumour that the Cadden business isn’t finished so who knows

So are you saying every team pushing for promotion goes through the same problem in this transfer market in January?
A club wouldn't sign anyone in those circumstances, as the same could be said of teams facing relegation surely.
Fair point, but take a look at the activity of the teams above us so far this January:

The current top two in our league have each only made one incoming signing - both loans.
Wycombe in third have made two signings, both loanees, although I suppose they're not really in the same bracket financially.
Cov haven't signed anyone, Pompey have made two loan signings and brought in a non league player for an undisclosed, but presumably small, fee, and Sunderland haven't spent money, bringing in loanees and Kyle Lafferty on a free. Peterborough have spent 500k on a non-league player, and it looks likely that the Maddison sale will go through to offset that, as well as two loan signings.

Of course, this could, and probably will, change in the next few days as the window wraps up, but my point is that no-one really seems to be bringing in established Championship-level players for a fee this window. A couple have invested in some non-league talent, but so have we. I'm not sure if this is usual of a promotion race or not, and perhaps its due to how tight the league is this year, with no clear candidates for a nailed-on promotion. But it doesnt seem like we're the only club having this problem.

Nakhi Wells rumoured to be going to Bristol City (been recalled by Burnley) does this help us getting Matty Taylor at all ?

Bristol City also rumoured to be after Eddie Nketiah on loan from Arsenal

Full backs are generally tracked by the opposition wingers, so often find themselves in a better position to cross the call if we were to sign a full back on either the right or the left hand side it would create more space for our wingers as the opposition full back may have to worry about our full back as well as the wingers. It’s easier to worry about 1 player than 2

Back
Top Bottom