General Jan transfer window

So what ?

It’s like someone said the other day that Mackie must be good enough for L1 because he’s played in the PL and championship. Absolute nonsense. Prove yourself in L1 and then we’ll decide if you're good enough. My own view is that Mackie remains unproven in L1. A 1 in 11 strike rate and a none too prolific number of assists, I think, backs that opinion up.

Yeah he works hard, runs around a lot, gets in opposition faces, but is that enough to be regarded as a proven L1 striker ?
You've missed the point of the post. If you read the thread properly, I was replying to a comment that tried to equate Mackie's past record with that of Kallum Higginbotham. They are not comparable.

Whether Mackie is actually suitable or effective enough to be a main starting striker for a L1 club aiming for promotion is another matter entirely. Personally I agree with you - my heart sank when I heard he was starting on Saturday when we had better on the bench.

You've missed the point of the post. If you read the thread properly, I was replying to a comment that tried to equate Mackie's past record with that of Kallum Higginbotham. They are not comparable.

Whether Mackie is actually suitable or effective enough to be a main starting striker for a L1 club aiming for promotion is another matter entirely. Personally I agree with you - my heart sank when I heard he was starting on Saturday when we had better on the bench.

Fair enough. He’s clearly more effective than this lad and as you say their career paths are incomparable.

My own view is that KR is in some ways ‘forced’ to play Mackie - or to put it another way, give him adequate game time. He’s a senior pro, no doubt on a hefty contract and a manager can bang on all he likes but his bosses, the owners, will want answers if at L1 level they’ve got a 34 year old, probably on £150,000 + a year, playing 10 minutes every fortnight.

I really cannot fathom it that Robinson sat at home on Friday night thinking that we had a better chance of beating probably the best team in the division with Jamie Mackie starting and Matty Taylor benched. Let’s face it, very rarely do you sub a player at half time so Robbo actually thought our chances were enhanced having Mackie for a minimum of an hour and Taylor for a maximum of half hour ? It’s a tough one to work out what his thinking was.

He’s a senior pro, no doubt on a hefty contract and a manager can bang on all he likes but his bosses, the owners, will want answers if at L1 level they’ve got a 34 year old, probably on £150,000 + a year, playing 10 minutes every fortnight.
Really? Do you have knowledge of the £150k +?
I would think that Taylor's salary is a lot higher than Mackie's, but you seem to know differently?

Really? Do you have knowledge of the £150k +?
I would think that Taylor's salary is a lot higher than Mackie's, but you seem to know differently?

Of course I don’t know his salary but I’d be very surprised if he was on less than 3 grand a week. Again only guessing but I’d have thought his last contract in the PL with QPR would have been 10-15 grand a week so he’ll have reached a level where he sees his worth at.

Of course I don’t know his salary but I’d be very surprised if he was on less than 3 grand a week. Again only guessing but I’d have thought his last contract in the PL with QPR would have been 10-15 grand a week so he’ll have reached a level where he sees his worth at.

I might be misremembering, but wasn’t it suggested that Mackie joined on a predominantly appearance related payment system?

I would be surprised if he is on that.
And again I reckon that Matt Taylor is on more. So how that means that the owners would want Mackie playing above Taylor is really beyond me.

I would be surprised if he is on that.
And again I reckon that Matt Taylor is on more. So how that means that the owners would want Mackie playing above Taylor is really beyond me.

I’m not saying that’s what the owners want, they just want a winning team but it won’t stop them asking the question and that question will be easier for Robinson to answer if Mackie is getting a fair amount of game time in a relatively successful team.i

I might be misremembering, but wasn’t it suggested that Mackie joined on a predominantly appearance related payment system?
He does indeed have a deal that means he earns a lot more if he plays than if he doesn’t. The trouble with these deals is that it works a treat if someone is on and off the treatment table, but if someone is fit virtually all the time and needs a few minutes on the pitch to get a decent wedge, you have to manage that individual in a unique manner as their desire to play increases. If they’re fit and available but can’t get a run out, it means they’re losing a decent chunk of change, and that can be an issue. It’s one thing telling somebody they aren’t even in the squad when they’re fit and ready in their mind, but it’s quite another when that decision also means telling that person they’re perhaps down 50% financially. When someone has a family at home and a decision to leave them out means their pay packet shrinks, you need to make sure that person doesn’t become an issue.

Ideally you wouldn’t have these sorts of deals, but sometimes they’re either necessary or wise - perhaps both. They can simply be a b****r to manage, especially over a decent period of time.

Isn’t there a chance that part of it was we have Ipswich on Tuesday, and he didn’t want to play Taylor Sat-Tues? Although I agree that starting him in both and giving him 60-75 mins in both would have been both the better choice, and doable...

Isn’t there a chance that part of it was we have Ipswich on Tuesday, and he didn’t want to play Taylor Sat-Tues? Although I agree that starting him in both and giving him 60-75 mins in both would have been both the better choice, and doable...
Interesting question then: Is Taylor not capable of playing 2 x 90 minutes? And if not, why not?

Interesting question then: Is Taylor not capable of playing 2 x 90 minutes? And if not, why not?

He is a great striker and proved it over a number of years his goal scoring record is far superior than anyone else in our squad he has to play if fit especially now with the service he will get from Holland and browne.

Matty Taylor must start in the majority of games, as he is a goal poacher, and we’ve needed one for years. Browne, Holland, and Henry along with others will feed him a never ending supply of chances. He’s a goal machine, and to win games those kind of players must start.

As much as I like the shithousery mackie gives us I think I have to agree that he is probably teetering over the crest of his footballing hill .. should follow mous into coaching playing occasionally .. shame but we need a goal threat to push on with our promotion challenge

I won’t be to critical of Mackie, clearly he’s an experienced player, and people like him and Mous are massive assets to have in the changing room and on the training ground. They also come across well spoken in the media, and the younger players can benefit from there experience. What Mackie does bring with his shithousery is he unsettles opponents, and that can be very beneficial in certain fixtures. At this moment in time, we need an end product on the pitch, and unfortunately Mackie doesn’t give us that. I can see him in a coaching role, but as a centre forward I would rather see his chances in the starting line up limited. No disrespect to him, because he does put in a shift when he plays, but I think he’s over the hill.

Id like to see KR bring in another centre forward.

Just seen Peterborough have accepted a bid for Maddison. Don't watch Posh particularly closely, but I understand the attacking triumvirate of him, Eisa and Toney have been where the vast majority of their goals have come from / been created this season. Possibly a good thing to see another promotion challenger weakened.

I won’t be to critical of Mackie, clearly he’s an experienced player, and people like him and Mous are massive assets to have in the changing room and on the training ground. They also come across well spoken in the media, and the younger players can benefit from there experience. What Mackie does bring with his shithousery is he unsettles opponents, and that can be very beneficial in certain fixtures. At this moment in time, we need an end product on the pitch, and unfortunately Mackie doesn’t give us that. I can see him in a coaching role, but as a centre forward I would rather see his chances in the starting line up limited. No disrespect to him, because he does put in a shift when he plays, but I think he’s over the hill.

Id like to see KR bring in another centre forward.
I'm happy with the contribution Mackie and Mous make to the squad, I know Mackie isn't a goal threat as much as we would want, but I think there is a bigger picture, but I'd be surprised if Mackie is with us as a player next season.. My other thought from Saturday is that maybe Mous can't play Saturday and then Tuesday, but I'd still be a little concerned that in KR's absence, he was seen as more influential on the bench that in the team and I think that was a mistake. He seemed lively on the touchline. I know it's easy to say in hindsight.

I'm happy with the contribution Mackie and Mous make to the squad, I know Mackie isn't a goal threat as much as we would want, but I think there is a bigger picture, but I'd be surprised if Mackie is with us as a player next season.. My other thought from Saturday is that maybe Mous can't play Saturday and then Tuesday, but I'd still be a little concerned that in KR's absence, he was seen as more influential on the bench that in the team and I think that was a mistake. He seemed lively on the touchline. I know it's easy to say in hindsight.
Mous has been in his best form since he has been at the club. While the plaudits have all gone to Dickie I actually think Mous has, on the whole, been our best CB this season. It says a lot about him that after essentially being told he would be second choice, he stayed and fought for his place. In the process he has at his age managed to improve and cut out most of the mistakes he made last season. He has kept the man who was signed to replace him out of regularly starting.

Just seen Peterborough have accepted a bid for Maddison. Don't watch Posh particularly closely, but I understand the attacking triumvirate of him, Eisa and Toney have been where the vast majority of their goals have come from / been created this season. Possibly a good thing to see another promotion challenger weakened.

Definitely. He's a goal threat and an assist machine. He also seems bit of a dick, but that's by the by.

Back
Top Bottom