General Jan transfer window

Anyone else think we need a Striker? I think it’s vital in this window, I’m sorry but Mackie not good enough to play a leading striker role with a team looking for promotion, I love his no nonsense attitude but that’s not enough for me it’s ok when we are in a battle away from home against the horrible team in Wimbledon Gillingham Accrington’s but many times in the past I’ve seen him not contribute in a way we need our striker to do (hold up play, link up play) yesterday being a good example, Taylor never seems to get a run of 3/4 games on the trot in this side where as at Bristol Rovers he was playing week in week out no problem, he’s our only striker who knows he’s job (capable of scoring & knows when to make the runs) link up play can be better but overall he should be first choice week in week out (unless he’s carrying a injury or off form)

I think we need something different that we haven’t got aswell & thats a proper target man who can hold the ball up - line up play with the likes of Fosu Brannagan Baptiste Henry etc around him (just like Michael Smith type of player for Rotherham yesterday) that’s just my opinion

Unfortunately Mackie no longer really has much of a positive impact on the pitch. He barely won the ball at all yesterday, was continuously caught offside and on the occasion he was in a decent position in the box, he fluffed his shot/pass.

Hopefully Taylor will be starting more, give Agyei and Browne to fill in. Mackie to come one when we're 3-0 up and need to see the game out. :)

Mackie is a good 3rd striker as he will be useful teams lower down in the table. When we come up against quality sides like Rotherham he is exposed. Against Wimbledon away, Mackie was MOTM
I was at AFCW, and no he wasn't. He did his usual running around and pretending to be fouled, but he offered no goal threat at all. He's way past it. Agree that he has a role in the last 15-20 minutes if we are closing a game out, but he's nowhere good enough to start if we hope to go up. He wouldn't in the starting eleven for any other top six L1 team, and he shouldn't (and hopefully won't) start for us again.

Mackie is a good 3rd striker as he will be useful teams lower down in the table. When we come up against quality sides like Rotherham he is exposed. Against Wimbledon away, Mackie was MOTM
When you play ‘lesser’ teams you don’t play your ‘lesser’ players, because you are levelling the playing field. You play the best team that you can because your odds of winning are infinitely higher If you play players who are markedly better than the opposition. Your odds become much more favourable. You’re basically saying that it’s a good idea to put one of your slower runners in a race against someone who is deemed to be slow themselves. What’s the point? Just put a quicker lad out and win the race, and don’t leave anything to chance. Especially when it’s three points on the line.

It’s another one of those nonsense false economies that has become so normalised that people don’t even stop to think about how illogical it is. It’s much easier to take a few players off if you get a decent lead than it is to throw people on with limited time if you’re chasing a goal. Why give your better players less time to overpower your opponents? Why give them 20-30 minutes to make an impact instead of 60-70 unless it’s because of fitness issues or fatigue?

When you play ‘lesser’ teams you don’t play your ‘lesser’ players, because you are levelling the playing field. You play the best team that you can because your odds of winning are infinitely higher If you play players who are markedly better than the opposition. Your odds become much more favourable. You’re basically saying that it’s a good idea to put one of your slower runners in a race against someone who is deemed to be slow themselves. What’s the point? Just put a quicker lad out and win the race, and don’t leave anything to chance. Especially when it’s three points on the line.

It’s another one of those nonsense false economies that has become so normalised that people don’t even stop to think about how illogical it is. It’s much easier to take a few players off if you get a decent lead than it is to throw people on with limited time if you’re chasing a goal. Why give your better players less time to overpower your opponents? Why give them 20-30 minutes to make an impact instead of 60-70 unless it’s because of fitness issues or fatigue?
Totally agree with this. I was having this very conversation, last night.

A thirty year old striker who has never scored a goal in the Championship or L1 in the 19 games he played there and one goal every ten games in over 80 matches in L2? No thanks.

That's exactly the situation I've been told. Expected the deal for O'Donnell to have been completed already but a few issues at their end delayed matters.

There's also a rumour about us being in for another striker, but the names I've heard are young, pacey and more likely players for the future like Ageyi rather than those immediately ready for the first team.

Wasn't expecting anything before the Ipswich game but maybe by the weekend.

That's exactly the situation I've been told. Expected the deal for O'Donnell to have been completed already but a few issues at their end delayed matters.

There's also a rumour about us being in for another striker, but the names I've heard are young, pacey and more likely players for the future like Ageyi rather than those immediately ready for the first team.

Wasn't expecting anything before the Ipswich game but maybe by the weekend.
If a striker does come in I would think if they are good like eg Taylor or big wage then definitely one leaving Dan loan Mackie free

If a striker does come in I would think if they are good like eg Taylor or big wage then definitely one leaving Dan loan Mackie free
Mackie won't be leaving the club before the summer. Ageyi could go on loan but it will depend on who we get in. As we know from previous years, strikers are very difficult to pick up at this stage of the season. Even more so those who are match fit and league 1 ready. Jerry Yates would be an interesting one as if he would potentially play against Rotherham's rivals as much as he would benefit us. Not that I'm saying it is likely, but would tick most of the boxes.

Whatever you think about Mackie, before he came to us he spent 8 years playing in the Championship and Prem and scoring goals in both...

So what ?

It’s like someone said the other day that Mackie must be good enough for L1 because he’s played in the PL and championship. Absolute nonsense. Prove yourself in L1 and then we’ll decide if you're good enough. My own view is that Mackie remains unproven in L1. A 1 in 11 strike rate and a none too prolific number of assists, I think, backs that opinion up.

Yeah he works hard, runs around a lot, gets in opposition faces, but is that enough to be regarded as a proven L1 striker ?

• Haha
Reactions: Ian

I‘ll be honest I’m glad we are going for someone with a bit of experience than a 19 year old Celtic lad (he maybe a talent) but think we need a little more experience in our back line with only Mousinho being a senior figure at the back the rest in there around early to mid 20s (in Dickie Moore Ruffels Long Atkinson Jones 17) & 28 year old is a good age in that department

Back
Top Bottom