General Jan transfer window

Agree that we have rolled the dice on getting promotion - there is no way that this squad has come cheap. However I think it’s a sensible time to take the risk - since we are in a good position and if it doesn’t come off then we have players of significant value who can be sold in the summer to cover the loses - so in theory it is a risk but without risking the future of the club.
I suppose if there were ever to be a season to take a risk, it would be this one, in all fairness - there's a real lack of quality at both ends of the table imo, with no 'big boys' coming down from the Championship to storm it.

The last couple of days have been magic. Four quality signings, with at least two very much proven at league level. That is to add to a squad that was already comfortably in the play-off positions in League One and top of the form table since our loss to Fleetwood at the beginning of September.

The next six months, though, are going to be absolutely crucial, and it is not going to be pleasant. So much rides on this. We now have, surely, the best squad in the league, and should genuinely expect to get automatic promotion, if not win the division. These signings will not have come cheap, despite being (for the most part) loans, and we were already a club operating at quite significant losses, with extremely concerning financial circumstances really not that long ago - it was only at the end of May that we settled our final winding-up order. This is in addition to a summer where we added a fair few personnel. Make no mistake about it, we are rolling the financial dice here. We are gambling on the financial benefits of the Championship. IF we were to fail in our pursuit of relegation, we would have to totally start from scratch: our loan players will leave; I imagine we will have to sell many, if not all, of our best players to the Championship due to their ambition and our need to cover financial losses; others, such as Henry, will probably feel they have achieved all they can at the club and move on, too; and even KR will probably get an offer from elsewhere and be off. I don't want to seem melodramatic, but I can see us being in a very precarious situation, with a total rebuild required from top to bottom.

Promotion, for me, becomes now not just an exciting possibility but an absolute necessity. Until the final whistle has gone in the game that makes us numerically certain of going up, I, for one, am going to be in a state of near-permanent anxiety!

I think this is probably a little overly fatalistic (just as the "We're going to walk to promotion now" posts are overly optimistic).

Yes, we're almost certainly spending more this season - but at the same time we're making more as well.
Our average crowds are currently slightly higher than last season.....but we're still to host many of the biggest travellers in the league (Sunderland, Pompey, Bolton, Brizzle etc.). We should end up with a substantially higher average League One gate.
Then we've gone two extra rounds, and had two extra big home crowds in the League Cup, with one national TV game.
And we've gone an extra round already, with one national TV game and hopefully a big crowd away day at Newcastle still to come in the FA Cup.
I'd probably expect a similar-sized operating loss to last season.....which could be further reduced if we get a result at St. James' Park.

Even more important than that - we've now got at least three assets, in Brannagan, Baptiste and Dickie, that are worth multiple millions.
So yes, we're spending a little more this season but I'd argue that from a Balance Sheet perspective, we're as financially healthy as we've been for a while now.

Will we lose players and have to 'go again' if we don't get promoted this season? Absolutely. But that's kind of life in the lower leagues.....and in KR, we've a manager that I'd trust to make it work.

I think this is probably a little overly fatalistic (just as the "We're going to walk to promotion now" posts are overly optimistic).

Yes, we're almost certainly spending more this season - but at the same time we're making more as well.
Our average crowds are currently slightly higher than last season.....but we're still to host many of the biggest travellers in the league (Sunderland, Pompey, Bolton, Brizzle etc.). We should end up with a substantially higher average League One gate.
Then we've gone two extra rounds, and had two extra big home crowds in the League Cup, with one national TV game.
And we've gone an extra round already, with one national TV game and hopefully a big crowd away day at Newcastle still to come in the FA Cup.
I'd probably expect a similar-sized operating loss to last season.....which could be further reduced if we get a result at St. James' Park.

Even more important than that - we've now got at least three assets, in Brannagan, Baptiste and Dickie, that are worth multiple millions.
So yes, we're spending a little more this season but I'd argue that from a Balance Sheet perspective, we're as financially healthy as we've been for a while now.

Will we lose players and have to 'go again' if we don't get promoted this season? Absolutely. But that's kind of life in the lower leagues.....and in KR, we've a manager that I'd trust to make it work.
Very sensible post.

What a transfer window this is turning into. And it's not over yet! ?
Had to go down the supermarket to buy another box of tissues. ?

And if none of our regular first team are sold I'll have to make another trip to the supermarket. ?

I'm as excited as the next man this transfer window... But why do multiple yellows forum members have a burning urge to rip the ears off of their old chap every time we do business? . ?

Gary Madine striker released from his contract at Cardiff so he can sign permanently for a new club. Was at Sheffield United last year when they were promoted to the Premier league. 29 years old, 6ft 4" so could be a different option up front, Not in the know just one that stood out for me that could fit the bill depending on wage demads.

Make no mistake about it, we are rolling the financial dice here. We are gambling on the financial benefits of the Championship. IF we were to fail in our pursuit of relegation, we would have to totally start from scratch: our loan players will leave; I imagine we will have to sell many, if not all, of our best players to the Championship due to their ambition and our need to cover financial losses; others, such as Henry, will probably feel they have achieved all they can at the club and move on, too; and even KR will probably get an offer from elsewhere and be off. I don't want to seem melodramatic, but I can see us being in a very precarious situation, with a total rebuild required from top
I think that whilst understanding your overall points. It is a bit dramatic?
I suspect that the budgeted loss for the season will not be exceeded due to the Cup runs.
If we do go up/ are close to going up, our gates will be significantly more than budgeted ( a lot of the biggest away supported clubs still to come and the home crowds rising)
I would guess that whether we go up or not, we could lose Brannagan, Baptiste and Dickie ( a couple could get PL clubs)
But we are planning for the future. Moore is getting better, Atkinson looks good prospect.
Henry? He seems pretty settled having signed a new contract.
I do reckon that if we go up we may well be able to sign Taylor, Kelly maybe even Browne. Much less likely if we stay in L1.
So yes a rebuild next season (bigger if we stay put), but financially a few £m in with player sales.

Must be coming to us if he's linked to Sunderland. Stewart Donald will tell him to sign for us. ?

Reading there forum on him, someone to be in the know says he's not signing for them as he thinks it will be a bad move as he's a Mag (Newcastle). Their fans are something else, stating they will give him the benefit of the doubt but if he turns out shite like Grigg they will be after him lol. Do these tools not realise players probably read forums before signing on for a team. Come here Madine you will be welcomed here, it's warmer down here and nicer houses. ?

Back
Top Bottom