General Jan transfer window

Dickie is a great centre back dominant in the air can play on the ground, we got him on a free so again great recruitment our end. At least 3million derby have the money if not unlucky, I would prefer our players to give it to the end of the season and see if we can gain promotion together. What they the players have to remember is we have taken a huge punt on some of these players who were not getting game time for whatever reason, had it not been for us they could and probably would still be playing minimal football in u23's games if at all. If we did go up its the players conundrum do they stay with us in the championship or move on at the same level probably on a better wage although we would surely negotiate a few new improved contracts IF we did go up...........henry/fosu/brannagan/gorrin/Dickie/eastwood/taylor/cadden/woodburn can all make the step up with us time is the master

Last edited:
I am not looking forward to this January transfer window. I can see a lot of our players' heads being turned and disrupting our rhythm in the league. Just gotta trust in the club and hope the togetherness is there with the players.

It’s no different to 2015/16 when we had championship scouts looking at Roofe, COD, Lundstam, Sercombe etc the message was clear we are not selling in January.

But both Dickie & Brannagan will be on there final year contract in the summer so if the club wanted to cash in & get more value for money now I can understand it but I would make in on the basis that we keep hold of the player on loan till the end of the season otherwise no deal

Dickie is a great centre back dominant in the air can play on the ground, we got him on a free so again great recruitment our end. At least 3million derby have the money if not unlucky, I would prefer our players to give it to the end of the season and see if we can gain promotion together. What they the players have to remember is we have taken a huge punt on some of these players who were not getting game time for whatever reason, had it not been for us they could and probably would still be playing minimal football in u23's games if at all. If we did go up its the players conundrum do they stay with us in the championship or move on at the same level probably on a better wage although we would surely negotiate a few new improved contracts IF we did go up...........henry/fosu/brannagan/gorrin/Dickie/eastwood/taylor/cadden/woodburn can all make the step up with us time is the master

Pretty sure we didn’t get him on a free. Undisclosed if memory serves me right.

It’s no different to 2015/16 when we had championship scouts looking at Roofe, COD, Lundstam, Sercombe etc the message was clear we are not selling in January.

But both Dickie & Brannagan will be on there final year contract in the summer so if the club wanted to cash in & get more value for money now I can understand it but I would make in on the basis that we keep hold of the player on loan till the end of the season otherwise no deal
does that ever work for us?
keep the team together, add a couple more quality players and assess at the end of the season when we’ve been promoted ?

Finding a top, solid centre back is one thing, but Dickie is a rare find. He can pick passes and dribble out from defence which the top clubs are desperate for, I think we could squeeze more than £2m.

You need to be prepared though, Pompey lost Matt Clarke and fell apart at the beginning of this season.

I thought we extended Dickies contract recently, either 2 or 3 years???

I thought we extended Dickies contract recently, either 2 or 3 years???

I think it was reported as a 2 year deal, but I believe that was the 1 year remaining on his contract plus an extra year. He joined on a 2.5 year deal in January 2018, so he is contracted until June 2021. I'm pretty sure that there is the option to extend by a further year too.

If rumours are true and Derby are interested in Dickie the price will be governed by how desperate they are to sign him or if other teams are interested. Realistically he probably is worth 2m tops with add ons, but if Derby are desperate or a bidding war starts then we will get a lot more. As it stands he is our player and a big part of what we are hoping to achieve. So is probably worth a lot more to us than whatever fee we might receive for him.

All quiet on the Taylor front recently but I spose no news is good news.

I guess there are 4 options with Matty Taylor for January.

1. He is recalled by Bristol City.
2. He remains on loan with us until the end of the season.
3. He signs a permanent deal with us.
4. He signs a pre-contract deal with another club for the summer.

1 isn't happening as he isn't needed by Bristol City, and neither the club nor Taylor want him to leave.

4 is really unlikely. He has of course had interest from other clubs but these are mainly league one sides and a couple of lower league Championship sides from what I understand. Unless a deal was simply too good to turn down, there is little to gain for Matty to go down this path in January.

So we're left with extending the loan until the end of the season, or making it a permanent deal. Whether people believe it or not, a deal, a very competitive one, has been on the table since August. Matty has moved back to Oxfordshire and is loving his time at the club. For these reasons, I think that there is an 80%+ chance of him signing in January.

But of course, extending the loan until the end of the season and doing a deal as a free agent may be better for all. I suspect that there would be a fairly small nominal fee paid to Bristol City in January. This could mean that Taylor could squeeze out a larger signing on fee for example. It would also mean that we know what league we'll be in and can maybe adjust the deal accordingly.

So at this stage, I wouldn't panic too much. Talks are expected in early January and we'll know one way or the other then. But Taylor isn't going anywhere soon!

I would think Taylor would stay with us to the end of the season, then he will choose the team that gives him the best deal in the summer.
that, or his agent will be in his ear wanting his share of the pie.
hope he stays but if not I'm sure there's others that have been identified

Back
Top Bottom