Jamie Mackie

Witneyoldfella

This man took a fair amount of stick early on this season when he clearly wasn't match fit and played out of position. Its time we acknowledge his contribution both on and off the pitch for the U's. He is articulate , from what I hear, great around the dressing room, top senior pro and an absolute beast to play against. Yesterday was a classic example of his commitment to the cause, I believe he would have to had to have two broken legs and 6 cracked ribs, before considering coming off after his earlier clash with the keeper.
Great example to the younger pros, I know he is in his twilight years but the man in my eyes earns every penny whilst with us, so take a bow Mr Mackie..

If the budget is going to be trimmed for next season I do wonder if he’ll be here. I can’t imagine he’s on peanuts. Could it be we really more on younger players such as Jonte Smith, Spasov and James? Hopefully he’ll stay and continue to be an influence on and off the field. Interesting summer ahead..

If the budget is going to be trimmed for next season I do wonder if he’ll be here. I can’t imagine he’s on peanuts. Could it be we really more on younger players such as Jonte Smith, Spasov and James? Hopefully he’ll stay and continue to be an influence on and off the field. Interesting summer ahead..
He is on a pay as he plays deal.
I reckon that next season will see some of the young players getting some game time.
I would be very surprised if they could replace Mackie.
We need Mackie next season.
IF the young players prove their worth next season then the following year they nay be ready to become first team regulars. These guys are very young and still have to develop. Think of COD in his first season. He gradually became stronger but in his first season was easily knocked off the ball.

I do like the way he plays - wholehearted, brave and committed. And in itself, those qualities have been fantastic additions to the team and have been an example that I think have rubbed off on other people.

But (and I'l probably get pelters for this!) I don't think he is much of a striker, and could start an unnecessary and booking-worthy argument in a phone box. He's signed up for next season, which IMO is a good thing, but we do need a proper striker or three.

I'm a massive fan of Mackie. He's not blessed with being the best footballer but the fact he got 2 seasons in the Premier League is testament to how hard he works. He's also a world class shithouse. He's the type of player that Harvey Bradbury could learn a lot from.

Well Scott Shearer should be a saving!

Everything positive said about Mackie is true, and I'm glad we have him.

Buuuut, what he ain't is a natural goalscorer. And if we're going to make a playoff push in this league, we're going to have to find one of those as well.

He is on a pay as he plays deal.
I reckon that next season will see some of the young players getting some game time.
I would be very surprised if they could replace Mackie.
We need Mackie next season.
IF the young players prove their worth next season then the following year they nay be ready to become first team regulars. These guys are very young and still have to develop. Think of COD in his first season. He gradually became stronger but in his first season was easily knocked off the ball.

Fully agree, a young player may have potential, but that doesn't mean that they are ready to play straight in the first team. Baptiste waited for his opportunity, now he would be one of the first names on the team sheet, if fit.
Blooding them on the bench if injuries persist, in the U23's and Checkatrade games, that's where their experience will grow. A good example would be Little. Had a fantastic game against Spurs this season, and is now learning his trade at Woking. First team football, but at a lower level initially, before he is ready.

I'm a massive fan of Mackie. He's not blessed with being the best footballer but the fact he got 2 seasons in the Premier League is testament to how hard he works. He's also a world class shithouse. He's the type of player that Harvey Bradbury could learn a lot from.

Harvey Bradbury won't be here next season.

Not bad for a has-been, never-been, injury prone mate of Shaun Derry!!!

Remember that people were writing off Danny Hilton before he'd kicked a ball, and more recently Kashi too!
You are right about Hylton and a general consensus he would not cut it in Div.1. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I liked the response their No 5 Guthrie have when he was being hounded by Mackie pissed off or what ?

Cant imagine Spasov or James are on much at all so not sure why we cant have experience and youth? personally would love to see Mackie and another proven striker for next season.

Would happily have Sinclair...mackie playing a small part, youngster and one other.

The mobility of Sinclair has been so important...plus has been clinical.

Back
Top Bottom