Current Player #17 James Henry

Constable is a legend. Dragged the club up from its knees, scored some crucial goals including Wembley and Swindon. Turned down an absolute wad of cash to go to Swindon. Tears on leaving. An absolute legend in every sense of the word.

Agreed 100%. If James Constable isn’t an Oxford Legend then the word has gone too far the other way

Constable is a legend. Dragged the club up from its knees, scored some crucial goals including Wembley and Swindon. Turned down an absolute wad of cash to go to Swindon. Tears on leaving. An absolute legend in every sense of the word.
Blimey Kip, you've never had so many likes!!?

My nomination as the greatest legend would not be a player, but manager Arthur Turner
with Headington United / Oxford United
The promotion to the football league was at a time before automatic promotion and the choice fell to other league chairmen. Arthur Turner had raised our profile to such an extent that Oxford were chosen to replace the bankrupt Accrington mainly due to him persuading the directors to change the name from Headington to Oxford coupled to our success on the pitch.

Legends are few and far between - Aldridge, Briggs, Burton, Beauchamp, etc. There are heroes like Roofe and Constable who made a big contribution and maybe 'folk heroes' like Hylton and Baldock who weren't necessarily brilliant or long-serving but were just really well liked and made a big impact.
With the risk of turning this into a general legend thread, you can add Moody, Les Robinson and Mad Dog to that list.

Blimey, you do go from one extreme to another - a totally miserable post to a very good and correct post - sorry but I'm amazed.

Legend. Got to be one of our own, who else but Roy Burton, one of the best keepers the club has ever had, when he kept his shorts up.

I always think you need a promotion or other silverware to cement a 'legend' status, which is why Hebberd is a legend, and Jimmy Magic fell just short (yeah harsh I know). James Henry has been awesome for us, and long may it continue.

I like the 'folk hero' tag. Step forward Roy Burton and George Lawrence.

With the risk of turning this into a general legend thread, you can add Moody, Les Robinson and Mad Dog to that list.
Is Robinson a legend? He was here for ever and a great club asset but a legend? Lewis was what I’m calling a folk hero who wasn’t great but was really popular and committed

Colin Todd, came to Oxford in 1984 and only played 12 games for us before leaving for a career finishing, lucrative move to Vancouver Whitecaps (he only played 8 games for them) but what a steadying presence he was. He sprayed the ball around to our players and hardly one was mis-placed. I would like to call him a legend as he ensured promotion for us in 1983/84 but appreciate that a legend should have played more times before being called a legend.

I do get quite vocal when it comes to Beano! I utterly loved that conference winning team!
Have to agree James Constable was. in his time, a legend at OUFC and scored goals as were needed. He might not have scored goals at a higher level BUT they were at an appropriate time in our history and were crucial to our return to the Football League. All hail James Constable.

Have to agree James Constable was. in his time, a legend at OUFC and scored goals as were needed. He might not have scored goals at a higher level BUT they were at an appropriate time in our history and were crucial to our return to the Football League. All hail James Constable.

Hard to argue with Beano as a legend

Colin Todd, came to Oxford in 1984 and only played 12 games for us before leaving for a career finishing, lucrative move to Vancouver Whitecaps (he only played 8 games for them) but what a steadying presence he was. He sprayed the ball around to our players and hardly one was mis-placed. I would like to call him a legend as he ensured promotion for us in 1983/84 but appreciate that a legend should have played more times before being called a legend.
I remember him coming in, did Briggs get injured in the run-in? can't remember now.

Back
Top Bottom