James Henry in 2018

Clearly not the 20 goals a season striker we’re looking for.

Can only do it in a calendar year and only able to do it from midfield so not even worthy of a striker discussion.

This helps put to bed any rumours of unrest amongst the players. Great to here that Henry is happy and settled here. Has definitely been our most consistent and important player in the last 12 months. He really stepped up to be counted when the chips were down towards the end of last season and has carried that on this season. It seems apparent to me that he - and the majority of the squad for that matter - have a good relationship with KR

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/...heeky-contract-request-to-oxford-united-boss/

This helps put to bed any rumours of unrest amongst the players. Great to here that Henry is happy and settled here. Has definitely been our most consistent and important player in the last 12 months. He really stepped up to be counted when the chips were down towards the end of last season and has carried that on this season. It seems apparent to me that he - and the majority of the squad for that matter - have a good relationship with KR

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/...heeky-contract-request-to-oxford-united-boss/

Even more amazing that only a couple of months ago we were hearing about players openly mocking Robinson and Derry getting drunk and punching players in training!!

Even more amazing that only a couple of months ago we were hearing about players openly mocking Robinson and Derry getting drunk and punching players in training!!
I don't think it too surprising.
When things are going badly it is tough on everybody and it is not surprising that things get fraught. Even some supporters start calling the manager things like Gobbo!
Rumours start and probably get exaggerated.
When things are going well suddenly most people are happy ....

I don't think it too surprising.
When things are going badly it is tough on everybody and it is not surprising that things get fraught. Even some supporters start calling the manager things like Gobbo!
Rumours start and probably get exaggerated.
When things are going well suddenly most people are happy ....
Or things are made up to further an agenda! I'm far from ITK but some of the things being said about KR and SD were ridiculous. The idea that Derry was an alcoholic who was disrupting training and punching players is beyond people getting a little fraught. And Robinson has repeatedly been spoken positively of by experienced pro's in Holmes, Mackie and now Henry, as well as those being developed like Baptiste, Browne and Whyte. People can question tactics and some of the actions on the touchline and in the media, but man-management is something that Robinson and co. seem to get right more often than not.

Isn’t it as simple as JH is now playing in his proper position, and therefore performs to his potential? As does Mous. As does Brannagan. Pep was clueless.
All true. But it took KR a while to get those 3 in their best positions. Myself and my son have been saying since the first few games of this season that JM and JH should be playing where they are now. It was KR's stubborness with the formation that prevented it. We have looked a much more solid and capable side since Southend away when Dickie came back in and Mous played in front of the back 4. CB with more opportunity to get forward and JH using his craft to get in and around the box more centrally.

Last edited:
Isn’t it as simple as JH is now playing in his proper position, and therefore performs to his potential? As does Mous. As does Brannagan. Pep was clueless.
Mmm not sure that is strictly true. Henry's 'proper' position for many years in the Championship was as a wide player or number 10.
Mousinho had played for years as a CB.

All true. But it has taken KR a while to get those 3 in their best positions. Myself and my son have been saying since the first few games of this season that JM and JH should be playing where they are now. It was KR's stubborness with the formation that prevented it. We have looked a much more solid and capable side since Southend away when Dickie came back in and Mous played in front of the back 4. CB with more opportunity to get forward and JH using his craft to get in and around the box more centrally.
He has kept the formation pretty much the same and it has hardly done us any harm?
Half of our fans seemed to think that 4 4 2 was the only way out.
He has stuck with one up front (but Mackie is very good in that role and us fit) four at the back and 2 playing off Mackie. Browne being fit has made a huge difference also with pace both sides.
I reckon KR deserves some praise on the changes.

Clearly not the 20 goals a season striker we’re looking for.

Can only do it in a calendar year and only able to do it from midfield so not even worthy of a striker discussion.
Striker is not mentioned in the lead post.
This is about a player who has scored 9 goals for us this season-so far.
Who gives a stuff what position he takes up in the game.
Why be so pedantic,negative & picky?
Why can’t we just celebrate his accomplishments to date ?

Striker is not mentioned in the lead post.
This is about a player who has scored 9 goals for us this season-so far.
Who gives a stuff what position he takes up in the game.
Why be so pedantic,negative & picky?
Why can’t we just celebrate his accomplishments to date ?

I don’t think the original comment was entirely serious

He has kept the formation pretty much the same and it has hardly done us any harm?
He has stuck with one up front (but Mackie is very good in that role and us fit) four at the back and 2 playing off Mackie. Browne being fit has made a huge difference also with pace both sides.
Sorry for being pedantic, but I think it's 4141, but the Oxford Mail doesn't dare print that.
Not complaining at all, it's working!

He doesn’t deserve any praise because some genius on the terrace actually spotted it a few weeks earlier. Quite why the club hasn’t appointed the East Stand as it’s collective joint managers I’ll never know.

He doesn’t deserve any praise because some genius on the terrace actually spotted it a few weeks earlier. Quite why the club hasn’t appointed the East Stand as it’s collective joint managers I’ll never know.
Funny you should say that. As up until the Southend away game most of the East stand couldn't have done any worse!!
Been very much better since though.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Sorry for being pedantic, but I think it's 4141, but the Oxford Mail doesn't dare print that.
Not complaining at all, it's working!
Yep. At times it's 41311. Experienced players through the spine knowing exactly what they are doing.

The atmosphere at the training ground is indicative of a content and united squad.

All true. But it took KR a while to get those 3 in their best positions. Myself and my son have been saying since the first few games of this season that JM and JH should be playing where they are now. It was KR's stubborness with the formation that prevented it. We have looked a much more solid and capable side since Southend away when Dickie came back in and Mous played in front of the back 4. CB with more opportunity to get forward and JH using his craft to get in and around the box more centrally.
I think there’s a lot in this but not necessarily the stubbornness. It’s not just Henry but Brannagan who have finally been allowed to get forward due to the presence of a holding midfielder covering them, and their form has escalated as a result. You could call it stubbornness from KR not to change it until then, but I would suggest it’s improved awareness of his players’ relative strengths from having had the opportunity to work with them more - what comes with giving time to a manager who is still relatively new to the team but is struggling for results.

I think there’s a lot in this but not necessarily the stubbornness. It’s not just Henry but Brannagan who have finally been allowed to get forward due to the presence of a holding midfielder covering them, and their form has escalated as a result. You could call it stubbornness from KR not to change it until then, but I would suggest it’s improved awareness of his players’ relative strengths from having had the opportunity to work with them more - what comes with giving time to a manager who is still relatively new to the team but is struggling for results.
Yes perhaps stubborness is a bit strong. But I do think he hung on too long hoping/thinking that all would come right by sticking with his original plan. A few tweaks with players and formation and we hit some form. Could he have done it sooner? Mackie's fitness apart I think yes it was possible.

Yes perhaps stubborness is a bit strong. But I do think he hung on too long hoping/thinking that all would come right by sticking with his original plan. A few tweaks with players and formation and we hit some form. Could he have done it sooner? Mackie's fitness apart I think yes it was possible.
That’s fair. I suspect it’s maybe more difficult to depart from a formation that you know very well and that has stood you in very good stead throughout your managerial career than it perhaps appears from the terraces. But I reckon the ability to adapt is an indication of a good manager - just look at (on a more dramatic scale) the plaudits Emery is getting at Arsenal this year for changing his entire formation pretty much every game at half time!

Back
Top Bottom